The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2003, 04:09 PM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

Good cheap ignition system?

I'm gonna be needing a new distributer, and new cables.... The coil on my Distributer is toast. What would all of you suggest for someone who doesn't have very much money, and lives in Canada?
Old 09-07-2003, 04:20 PM   #2
Canadian-Ron

head down the street to Kar-Bashers and grab what you need for about $20, that should hold you over for now
Old 09-07-2003, 04:45 PM   #3
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

Re: Good cheap ignition system?

Quote:
Originally posted by Russell
I'm gonna be needing a new distributer, and new cables.... The coil on my Distributer is toast. What would all of you suggest for someone who doesn't have very much money, and lives in Canada?
look in summit for a good HEI distributor, that would be your best bet if you dont know how to rebuild one or cant find a shop locally that specializes in distributors (They are becoming harder and harder to find) .. A shop would be ideal because they could setup the advance curve and everything for you.. You need "cables" what kind of cables? spark plug wires? autozone has some cheap

Quote:
and lives in Canada?
you're on your own with that problem. only thing I can suggest is get your truck running and hop in & drive due south.

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:49 PM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

Ron - I was at Kar Bashers today, and got some parts... I found myself a nice black truck chalk full of nice parts... I am gonna pull it's column and front bumper next week when I am able to get out there... I got a rear sliding window lock and a couple gauges from it already, prehaps I will grab the distributer and the cables from it as well then.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:39 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Alright, finally got the new column installed to the point whereas I can start my truck with the cables I grabbed from the wreckers, still no go... The truck just doesn't fire all it's cylinders properly for some reason, unless it is the distro, I am at a total loss...
Old 09-11-2003, 10:09 PM   #6
C&C Chevy

I've heard that A C C E L makes awesome ignition products!

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007
C&C Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 10:27 PM   #7
Canadian-Ron

sounds like you have a couple of wires crossed there Russell, might be time to start from scratch with those spark plug wires
Old 09-11-2003, 10:31 PM   #8
Russell
Professional Grade

What bothers me about that idea is that they are the exact same way they were when I got them, just as they have been since the engine was installed in 94 - 95... I wrote it down to make sure of it...

Unless my uncle hooked it up wrong, and it has just happened to run just fine for some reason...

I could try rebuilding the whole ignition system from scratch, following the firing order on the block and scrubbing and regapping the plugs...