The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2015, 11:10 PM   #1
sefgonzo

Where to start 70 c10

Recently bought a 1970 c10 longbed .Its mostly all original with bucket seats.Not sure where to start with the restoration but sure it will b a long process due to money.I do want to try and keep as much as possible original. As far as my bucket seats go they are in pretty bad shape.Should I just have them redone reupholstered to match the original look or just seek some new replacements??Thanks in advance for any feedback.Oh and yes I'm new to forum but will b spending a lot of time here cause I'm fairly new to fixing up older vehicles and may have lots of questions..Thanks again
sefgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:14 PM   #2
Mmorgan32

Re: Where to start 70 c10

Definitely redo them. They are highly sought after and look really cool. Post some pics. Start with how it runs and brakes and replace all belts and hoses if needed go through fuel lines and brakes also look at all the electrical, u joints, rear end, wheel bearings. All the stuff peoe neglect over the years. That's what I do when I first bring home a new old vehicle.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:25 PM   #3
sefgonzo

The truck is in pretty good shape overall and runs great.The folks I got it from are car guys and into hotrods.Its already been dropped some and really a good start to the overall look I'm trying to get.But thanks for the advise on that check list ...will do....I'll post some pics as soon as I find my way around these forums still trying to figure it out.Thanks for reply and in redoing seats should I take it to professionals and is it possible even with pieces of foam torn out?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:38 PM   #4
Mmorgan32

Go to the Rey box and hit go advanced scroll down to manage attachments hit that it will take you to a new page and you upload the photos from my phone for some reason it only lets me do one pic at a time. I was going to take my seat in they said $700 to do my seat there is a guy on here who does them I forget what it's called but go to the main page and look at the vendors he's on there I've never done a seat but I plan on down my mine at some point but mine is a bench and a shop will be able to do your console to match
Old 07-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #5
Mmorgan32

I found it. He's called truck seats. He might even have what you need in stock. Click on his profile and send him a private message with your color code. It'll say it on your spid in your glove box
Old 07-29-2015, 11:58 PM   #6
sefgonzo

Thanks a lot I'll check him out.Trying to figure out the picture thing I think I got it but just can't do d my pics...will post some soon thanks for the replys
Old 07-31-2015, 12:00 AM   #7
1968aj

read the post by GROMIT . he made seat foam repairs way cheaper than buying the aftermarket seat foam
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:48 AM   #8
cooperhw

first off welcome. second pics. post em. often. we need em.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #9
Justin@EntropyRad

Start with easy stuff..brake lines, fuel lines, etc..make it drivable, then pick at little things. Integra/Civic seats bolt-in if looking for cheap later buckets
Sales/Support
Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
"The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods" - www.EntropyRad.com www.speedcooling.com
Justin@EntropyRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #10
leftybass209

Since you are new to restoring, my first bit of advice is, don't tear it all the way down! A lot of people start out motivated, then try selling a pile of parts on craigslist when they see how much work is involved.

Try and keep it running, and plan for $$ and unexpected issues while you tear something down. Try and work 1 component at a time and replace all the gaskets, bushings, bolts (if needed) and components needed to avoid redoing work as much as possible. Case in point, don't replace anything on the fluid portion of the brake system until you're ready to do the whole thing, unless you absolutely have to.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:27 PM   #11
HeavyD

Yes I 2nd not tearing it apart x1000000. My junk in my avatar could have been driveable with a couple weekends worth of work, and now its still in pieces 10 years later. Do the brakes first, make sure it has lights, wipers, etc and runs ok. If the body is beat up a bit/rusty dont worry about it until later..rust is back in style now anyway .

Dont get rid of the seats if they are factory..as said they are just cool. New foams and covers are a phone call away.

Dont get overwhelmed, take it one step at a time, and most of all take it for a drive often to remind you why we do this..because its fun!
Old 08-02-2015, 03:18 AM   #12
sefgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefgonzo View Post
Recently bought a 1970 c10 longbed .Its mostly all original with bucket seats.Not sure where to start with the restoration but sure it will b a long process due to money.I do want to try and keep as much as possible original. As far as my bucket seats go they are in pretty bad shape.Should I just have them redone reupholstered to match the original look or just seek some new replacements??Thanks in advance for any feedback.Oh and yes I'm new to forum but will b spending a lot of time here cause I'm fairly new to fixing up older vehicles and may have lots of questions..Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2015, 03:31 AM   #13
sefgonzo

Thanks to all for the encouragement and advise means alot..I beent trying to post pics but when i choose pics and hit upload it does nothing am i doing something wrong??question about my transmission...since its the original 3 speed i beleive does that mean i will only feel it change gears twice??after takeoff it changes gear than at about 30 -40 changes again and than thats it..is that correct or is my transmission acting up?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #14
cericd

If you are uploading pics from an iPhone or iPad you can only upload one pic at a time.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #15
Kennuck

When u hit upload you should see your file come up in blue in the upload window. When you post it gets added to your post.

As far as the transmission yeah that's it as far as shifting welcome to 1970.
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #16
sefgonzo

Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #17
sefgonzo

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #18
sefgonzo

So gonna replace front brakes they r the old original ones.Should b an easy diy right??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2015, 09:28 PM   #19
mike16

I like to pressure wash and detail the truck within an inch of its life.

Gather catologs and service literature

Service the truck entirely from top to bottom front to rear

Get a bug sprayer, fill it with WD40 or rust penitrator and spray the truck underside and anywhere you may anticipate disassembly in the future.

1 quart of linseed oil will do an entire wooden bed.

do all of the above about every 4 to six moths until your ready to disassemble.

In the mean time begin making up your shopping list.

A restoration is a heavy deal. Know what your getting into because Taking a truck apart is fun and easy. lots of drinkin buddies around for that part. The project stalls when you start and or try to comprimise on how much and what to spend money on in terms of repairs. then the paint job and reassembly. slow,pain staking and expensive. this is where projects stall or fail.

Better to do a detailed rebuild over time.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:45 PM   #20
HeavyD

Can you take a picture of the spid sticker inside the glovebox door if its still there? They are always fun to look at. Great start!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:47 PM   #21
sefgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
Can you take a picture of the spid sticker inside the glovebox door if its still there? They are always fun to look at. Great start!
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2015, 01:14 AM   #22
HeavyD

Hugger orange is a great color, are you planning to keep it?
Old 08-06-2015, 01:18 AM   #23
sefgonzo

I really like it also...what r my options here ??it obviously needs to b redone but how can I go about doing that and it still being original??
Old 08-06-2015, 02:19 AM   #24
Clavo106

nice truck .... As for seats u can definitely find a good upholster in Texas for a good price even in WA I get a good deal on a bench seat. hit up your local car shows and ask around. someone can direct you..as for your trans theres th350 or th400 and a three column powerglide. neither have od (Over Drive) like todays transmission. so after 45 its norm . pulling 3000rpm at 60mph with engine roring is norm because theres no overdrive gear. aslo is this a daily driver a project a full frame off custom build? if.its daily I would just do a tune up and upgrade a few bells and wisels. wheel, power brakes.sway bar. make it your.own.
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:14 PM   #25
sefgonzo

It's more or less a project don't think I could ever afford a complete over the top resto..just like to cruise from time to time on the weekends and evenings..I do take it to work even just cause I love the damn thing😁..bit yea I do want it to have some power and look good.eventually rims new wood bed the seats of course and a good sound system..what options do I have on transmissions for the 350 that will give it better performance? And in your experience is it very expensive?? Thanks for any feedback