The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
Isaiah92260

Help finding crank pulley Bolt

My gosh this is a real WTF moment to the Previous Owner!! -,-
So I had a Old Chevy dude looking at my motor today, I was telling him how to previous owner told me that I needed a new harmonic balanced, so the guy was taking a look at the slack the pulley had on there, when he noticed, "jesus"! He said "Dude, what the heck, your pulley doesn't even have the Bolt and washer on there"!!!!! Live been looking online and for some reason I can't find it..... Does anyone know where I can find the Crank Pulley Bolt and washer? I've already gone to NAPA and they didn't even have it... I have a 1967 250ci Straight 6. Thanks guys!
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
padresag

Re: Help finding crank pulley Bolt

is there a threaded hole hole in the end of the crank. The early sbc didn't take one. .can't remember wether I6 took a bolt or not. if there isn't one, you can always drill and tap for it to take one.
if your pulley is loose you should replace it whether bolted or not. think that they were 7/16 NF. it would take a thick washer and you may have to go to a scrap yard that may have some I6s around and get one from there
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #3
dware67

If your crank pulley has rivets holding it together it did'nt have a bolt. If it's loose it's worn out. If the crank nose is worn you might be able to get a repair sleeve if they still make them. was common on the old I6. Most pulleys before 69 were banged on with a big hammer while sitting on the crank flange. Seen one fly off going down the road.
dware67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:40 AM   #4
luvbowties

Smile Re: Help finding crank pulley Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dware67 View Post
If your crank pulley has rivets holding it together it did'nt have a bolt. If it's loose it's worn out. If the crank nose is worn you might be able to get a repair sleeve if they still make them. was common on the old I6. Most pulleys before 69 were banged on with a big hammer while sitting on the crank flange. Seen one fly off going down the road.
I think that sleeve was just to give the seal a smooth surface; and did nothing for a worn key and keyway which, if worn on the crank could require replacement of crankshaft.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #5
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dware67 View Post
I have a 1965 230ci and a 1971 250ci. Neither have a crank bolt. The issue seems to be the slack, which may indicate wear, rather than a missing bolt. Hopefully the OP will give us more info.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #6
luvbowties

Smile Re: Help finding crank pulley Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah92260 View Post
My gosh this is a real WTF moment to the Previous Owner!! -,-
So I had a Old Chevy dude looking at my motor today, I was telling him how to previous owner told me that I needed a new harmonic balanced, so the guy was taking a look at the slack the pulley had on there, when he noticed, "jesus"! He said "Dude, what the heck, your pulley doesn't even have the Bolt and washer on there"!!!!! Live been looking online and for some reason I can't find it..... Does anyone know where I can find the Crank Pulley Bolt and washer? I've already gone to NAPA and they didn't even have it... I have a 1967 250ci Straight 6. Thanks guys!
Here >>http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hedFrom=header <<
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #7
MikeN

I'm not sure the I-6 engines have a balancer retention bolt. Might just be a press-fit. The early V8's were press fit.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
I'm not sure the I-6 engines have a balancer retention bolt. Might just be a press-fit. The early V8's were press fit.
i have a 67 292 and it has a thread bal. bolt hole...
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
i have a 67 292 and it has a thread bal. bolt hole...
does it have a bolt in the hole?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
does it have a bolt in the hole?
ron
its a new build so no bolt, i was gonna match one up. i broke the old one from the original crank trying to get it out!!! i didn't wanna go through the hassle of drilling and re-tapping and since all the parts are new i just got a new crank
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #11
l79m20

I have such a washer and bolt oem for a 250, Pm me an offer and send your address. Kirby
l79m20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #12
T and S

can u use a regular harmonic balancer puller to remove and install the press fit balancer, or does it take a special tool ??
Old 08-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #13
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and S View Post
can u use a regular harmonic balancer puller to remove and install the press fit balancer, or does it take a special tool ??
Yes, that's how I did mine.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #14
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Not all I-6 engines had threads in the cranks for a bolt. My 250 did not and after reading in the performance Chevy 6's book about doing it, I went ahead and drill and tapped mine. Actually much easier than I thought it would be as the cast cranks are really easy to tap. At that point I used a standard SBC crank bolt and washer. Primary reason I wanted to do this was so I could use a balancer installer tool and not need to pound it on.

Here's a pic before I drilled and tapped it.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote