The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
Rannos

Lowering an 84 GMC.

My son wants to lower his 84 GMC I got him for Christmas last year. So that's this year's Christmas present. Just wants to see what kits people are using.on these trucks. Looking for a 3" 4" static drop.
Rannos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:00 PM   #2
UKNOWME

Re: Lowering an 84 GMC.

I prefer BellTech or McGaughys. With a 3/4 you could do 2" spindles and 1" coils on the front and shackles and hangers on the rear. Although I recommend 2 1/2" spindles, 2' springs and a rear flip kit giving you a 4.5/6 drop.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #3
Rangerman

I just did my sons truck....I used Western Chassis components.

IF it were me and being a young mans daily driver, I would do a 3.5" front and 5" rear. Its a good daily driver height, the 4.5/6 looks bad ass but I didnt want to notch on the frame.

2.5" drop spindles and 1" drop coils for the front.
I would do a 5" flip kit in the rear, its easier than hangers and you shouldn't have to notch the frame.

Heres my sons 3.5/5

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL]

Last edited by Rangerman; 11-19-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Rangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
RDrancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerman View Post

IF it were me and being a young mans daily driver, I would do a 3.5" front and 5" rear. Its a good daily driver height, the 4.5/6 looks bad ass but I didnt want to notch on the frame.

I would do a 5" flip kit in the rear, its easier than hangers and you shouldn't have to notch the frame.

Heres my sons 3.5/5

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL]
Very nice stance. What size are the tires and wheels?
Old 11-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
surly66

I have used Bell Tech products on the last 3 trucks that I have lowered and have been very satisfied with the results. I have had very little experience with any of the other brands, so can't comment on that.
As far as how low, my current set up is 3" Bell Tech spindle and 2" Eibach coils (from way back when) up front, and a Bell Tech flip in the back (with C-notch). I used Bell Tech Nitro Drop shocks all the way around with no shock extenders (I know, I know...). With only a front sway bar, it corners better than stock and the ride is a little harsh, but I like it...it's a truck after all!

BTW, I am using 17" wheels front and back with a 28" tall tire in front and 30" tire in the rear.

Good Luck!!!
Attached Images

surly66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #6
Rangerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDrancher View Post
Very nice stance. What size are the tires and wheels?
Thanks.
Front 17x8 4.5" back spacing with 235/55/17
Rear 17x9 5" back spacing with 275/55/17
Old 11-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
Jake Wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerman View Post

Heres my sons 3.5/5

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL]
Beautiful truck.
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #8
Rannos

The boy wants to keep his rally wheels so what ever we do will clear with a 15x8 rally. He doesn't want it really low and neither do I. He is just getting his licence and isn't very exprienced. I am sure he will make mistakes and I would rather not have the truck slammed the first time he pulls into a ditch or such. I will post pics of his truck as it is now.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #9
Rangerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannos View Post
The boy wants to keep his rally wheels so what ever we do will clear with a 15x8 rally. He doesn't want it really low and neither do I. He is just getting his licence and isn't very exprienced. I am sure he will make mistakes and I would rather not have the truck slammed the first time he pulls into a ditch or such. I will post pics of his truck as it is now.
Thats a good looking truck.

The rally wheels may fit, you will probably have to remove a little metal on the lower control arms to alleviate any possible grinding.

If he messes up a inch or two lower probably wont matter.

Lowering is like building a shop, you will wish you built bigger and you will wish you went lower. Trust me,lol.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #10
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Go with a 3/5 belltech 3" spindles and belltech flip kit for 5" in the rear u can go. 6" drop in the rear with no notch btw
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannos View Post
My son wants to lower his 84 GMC I got him for Christmas last year. So that's this year's Christmas present. Just wants to see what kits people are using.on these trucks. Looking for a 3" 4" static drop.
I always recommend spindles first, then springs on the front. You can get 2.5 or 3" spindles. I prefer 3" but be aware that they will cause clearance issues if your running a 15" wheel. Western Chassis seems to be the best bang for your buck these days with the least amount of problems.

In the rear if you use a shackle its cheap, but be aware that you may need to notch the bed brace for clearance. You can do a flip kit, just make sure you get shock extenders to regain your shock travel and proper angle.

Take a look in the Suspension Forum for lots of pics and coverage.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #12
UKNOWME

Airride! That will solve all problems! Lol
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #13
Rannos

I know how it is. My old truck sits as low as I can go and not notch it. When I cage it it will be backhalfed and slammed the rest of the way.

As for air ride that not an option. I don't want 2 am phone calls that he busted a bag and needs to co.e get him with the trailor.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:59 PM   #14
lilpoindexter

I put 2.5" spidles and 2" coils on the front of mine, with a flip kit in the back.
If i had to do it again, I would have used 1" front springs, or just cut a coil off the stock springs. My stock size front tires bump into the inner fenders if I get carried away over railroad tracks. It also has a rake...3.5" in front, and a flip kit in the rear would have my truck level. I used summit racing spindles up front (I forget the brand, but it was a decent quality re-packaged spindle. i used DJM springs in the front... they were too soft for my taste from day 1. i also used a DJM kit in the back, and the shock extenders didn't fit right, and other people on the site have pointed out that DJM flip bracket is kind of cheesy. When you flip it, most kits will move your rear axle back, so the drive shaft doesn't bottom out...but it looks goofy with the rear wheel not centered in the opening. Fortunately when I swapped my 3 on the tree for a T5, i needed a new driveshaft, so I drilled the flip brackets right in the center, and bought a driveshaft to match.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpoindexter View Post
I put 2.5" spindles and 2" coils on the front of mine, with a flip kit in the back.
If i had to do it again, I would have used 1" front springs, or just cut a coil off the stock springs. My stock size front tires bump into the inner fenders if I get carried away over railroad tracks. It also has a rake...3.5" in front, and a flip kit in the rear would have my truck level. I used summit racing spindles up front (I forget the brand, but it was a decent quality re-packaged spindle. i used DJM springs in the front... they were too soft for my taste from day 1. i also used a DJM kit in the back, and the shock extenders didn't fit right, and other people on the site have pointed out that DJM flip bracket is kind of cheesy.
This is sad, but true DJM was once a great source for quality parts at a fair price. It seems they have gone away from that. Regardless of brand, I dont recommend lowering springs in front. Use drop spindles and cut a coil if you want to go lower.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #16
69heavychevy

I agree on staying away from the DJM flip kit. The quality didn't seem very good so I ended up going with a 5" western chassis flip kit. The DJM kit is now sitting on the spare parts bin. I did use the shock extenders from the DJM kit which as mentioned before don't fit very well, but I made them work.
For the front I did use DJM 3" spindles which surprisingly were actually good quality in my opinion. The tolerance for the caliper mounting was so tight that the caliper wouldn't go on if not perfectly aligned. I also cut 1 coil off the front stock springs.
The only clearance issues I had was with the inner wheel weights on my aftermarket 15" rims. I was using sticky weights and wouldn't clear the caliper mount. Regular snap in weights worked fine.