The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
sawyerrm

Pity Party

This truck is literally around the corner from where we live. In the last six months it has not moved one inch.

http://pbua.com/images/IMG_0195.JPG

We know the family and see them every year at our Labor Day block party. How ironic I thought, that I would search the entire great state of California for a 67-72 and find one in my own backyard. So one day, as many of you have probably done, I boldly left a note on the windshield offering to buy my neighbor's truck. I went by an hour later and the note was gone but he never called.

Late at night as I tossed and turned I thought, "maybe the note blew away, maybe I wrote down the wrong number, maybe he's busy with the holidays and forgot to call ...."

HE AIN'T SELLING

Have a good one,
Rob

Last edited by sawyerrm; 01-05-2016 at 02:44 PM. Reason: added
sawyerrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
davepl

Re: Pity Party

I always put "If you're not interested now, please stick this note in your globebox in case you change your mind at some point in the future" or something like that.

No one thinks they'll sell when they first find the note, but maybe it'll churn in their mind. Of course I guess being your neighbor he knows where to find you, but I just mean in general.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
YBNORML

Notes annoy me. I just throw them away.

Now, if someone actually comes and talks to me and is genuinely interested in buying and not just a flipper, I will take their info and save it. Although I have no intention of selling anything I own and I tell them that.

I did I this to a fella with a one family truck years ago. I sat around and waited for him to come out and had a nice conversation about his truck. Must've been there for over over an hour. In the end he took my info and I took his. I kept in touch periodically over the years and just before Xmas he called me and we made a deal for the truck.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:59 PM   #4
zeldman

My neighbor down the road has a 71 or 72 sitting in their parking lot. It has been there since I moved here 9 years ago. It has not moved one inch and is sitting out in the weather.

5 years ago a 65 or 66 mustang showed up next to it. Same story.

I was told by another neighbor that the vehicles were bought for an investment, but I don't see how they are increasing in price by sitting outside.
2013 Subaru Outback
1970 C-10 2WD, SWB stepside, 292, TH350, PS, more rust than anything. God is my pilot.
zeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
hugger6933

I have on several occasions handed out a business card with all of my contact info and told them if they ever changed their mind I would love to have a shot at it. But all it has ever done is get them thinking about it and them sell to someone else.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:56 PM   #6
leftybass209

Someone had left a note on my truck when I was still in Texas. I just threw it away. The way I look at it if I wanted to sell, it'd have a for sale sign on it. When and if things change, then I'd put a for sale sign on it. Usually at gas stations I get the "nice truck, is it for sale?" Comments. I find it kind of disrespectful in that context.

I don't mind notes on the door, but it's a very passive way to try and do business.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #7
Stu Pidd

I'm driving the '71. The '68 is just sitting in a hangar at the local airport.

I recently put a picture of the '68 in the glove box, so if anybody asks if I want to sell, I'll ask them if they want a 50th anniversary instead.
Stu Pidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:38 AM   #8
sawyerrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Someone had left a note on my truck when I was still in Texas. I just threw it away. The way I look at it if I wanted to sell, it'd have a for sale sign on it. When and if things change, then I'd put a for sale sign on it. Usually at gas stations I get the "nice truck, is it for sale?" Comments. I find it kind of disrespectful in that context.

I don't mind notes on the door, but it's a very passive way to try and do business.
Good point, I hadn't looked at it that way, thank you
sawyerrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #9
MARKDTN

Depends on the neighborhood, but you may not be able to put a for sale sign on it.

I do agree that a note alone is not a very strong way of getting a shot at it. If you know who he is, just go talk to him.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #10
tommy3horse

hello;

I just the other day I went to have new tires installed and a young man (18 or 19) who was doing the work very politely asked if the truck was for sale. I told him that I was not interested in selling, that I was having way too much fun with it. He went on to tell me that he had been looking for one for awhile...I told him that one would come along that would be just what he wanted. He smiled and thanked me. I did let him know that if I ever did want to sell, I would give him first dibbs.
The gas station thing "is your truck for sale?" thing never gets old, but folks asking see a true patina truck and may think they can snatch it up on the cheap...

Tom

1965 Mustang 2+2 289 4spd, show-car
1965 Mustang Coupe 289 4spd, stoplight racer
1/2 dozen Wheelhorse Tractors
tommy3horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #11
michael bustamante

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy3horse View Post
hello;

The gas station thing "is your truck for sale?" thing never gets old, but folks asking see a true patina truck and may think they can snatch it up on the cheap...

Tom
HEAR HEAR!!
alot guys think patina is a sure sign its just an old pickup that you drive because you cant get any better, then they hear the purr or rumble of the LS or 383 stroker under the hood...
but in retrospec, I love talking to other enthusiasts about old chevy's, and when they come to me just to shoot the s%*#, i don't mind one bit if they ask if i'm thinking of selling. I'ts easy to say "not at the moment"

Last edited by michael bustamante; 01-06-2016 at 01:04 PM.
michael bustamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #12
30 a truck

Everything I own is for sale, at MY price.
30 a truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #13
engineer_gregh

Nah, I don't agree that you got what you deserved. I've chased trucks for years before buying them. You've successfully planted the seed and you never know, you may just end up with the truck. Keep the faith brother.
1975 K5 4x4 full convertible

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645165

Greg Smyrna TN
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

You always have th right to haggle.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #15
ho70

notes, nope. Talk to them and then hand them your card for future...
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #16
volksworld

i hate to say how many vehicles i've asked to buy and the people refused and later found them in my buddy's junkyard...with the forks of the forklift run thru the windows and another car stacked on top of them
Old 01-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #17
Orange Crate

I worked with a guy that had an old German car and I let him know if he ever wanted to sell it to let me know. About two years later he approached me with a price. I didn't even haggle, I just said OK! I still own that one. So patience and money can get you there, if you know what you want. Last year I found a note in my storm door from someone that was "really interested" in it and that really made me mad, because they saw it in my garage....
Old 01-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #18
Tork?

Living and parking in Chicago I get a few notes each summer. I think the note thing is fine but they need to be professional. Half the time words are spelled wrong or it's written on the back of a Burger King receipt and just says "Wanna sell? Call Me. -Darrel". I used to call but they all thought they "discovered" the truck and want a bargain. Good luck with your $3500 Darrel.

Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:33 AM   #19
Ironangel

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Made me reflect back to the purchase of my first 72 C-10 a few years ago and the chain of events that led to my first sight of truck. Folks out here in small town USA dont leave any notes because you'll usually run into one another at the grocery store or filling station. I've had people come to the house and ask if they were for sale, especially since I've acquired another 72 C-10 two years ago when I retired. High School kids really like them and I sell them extra parts when they come around. I do get a rich farmer now and then at the fuel pump ask me if she's for sale, I smile and tell them, "I wouldn't trade her for two of them new trucks your driving"...They smile and concur with a "she's a fine lookin truck." I had a fella, an older gentleman follow me for a couple miles all the way home before Christmas last year. I thought he was a real estate agent my wife had done some recent business with. But nope, he was a local farmer that had seen the truck in town lately and just wanted to tell me how much he liked seeing that old truck around town. We talked for quite awhile and he told me that he owned a junk yard and repair shop right down the road that is long since gone now. I could see that he was a good upstanding man and when he told me his name I knew his family was well respected for generations in the area. I asked him in for some coffee but he declined, he just wanted to meet me and tell me how much he liked my old truck. I shook his hand and told him dont be a stranger, I need somebody to guide me some good farm pond fishin this Spring...These old Chevy trucks are about as Americana as it gets, they represent an era in American history that no amount of money can buy...~Ghostrider~
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #20
undertaker72

I never give up on asking , and I have wandered into cow barns to ask the farmer if hell sale , sometime helping load or unload a few bales of hay , at least you are getting acquainted I have been able to land a few trucks and old cars also I like the chase or the qwest , always looking for friends that don't have the gonnies to ask I have 4 children and 11 grandchildren , and they will all take one of my cars or trucks and my memories , when I take the dirt nap , or maybe il trade them for more , there is plenty here , and you know the saying you cant take it with you on the ride
1969 Camaro hugger orange hounds tooth

Last edited by undertaker72; 01-30-2016 at 04:57 PM.
undertaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:53 AM   #21
El Dorado Jim

I have bought several trucks over the years by seeing them in someone's yard and stopping in and asking about them, talking to the owners face to face is the way to go, I have left alot of notes on vehicles and front doors of houses, and have never heard from these folks.....
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #22
Dave K.

Nothing wrong with asking. Unfortunately idiot shows like Counting Cars and Arse Monkey Garage have changed things up and now everyone fancies themselves a flipper. I have a beat up (but rust free) 70 Cuda Convertible stored away north of me and every once in a while swing by and take it out. I love talking to the idiots that somehow think I'm a dullard who doesn't have a clue what it's worth. Of course I always make sure people don't follow me home--there are a lot of scum bags out there and a lot with loose lips..... who speak to the wrong folks. Remember, some of these folks hitting you up might have another agenda and it has nothing to do with BUYING the vehicle. Be careful in other words and don't tell folks too much....
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote