The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
joeydurango

Can someone give me any info on this shift lever? GMCPaul, Wes?

Pulling my auto / tilt column apart today to figure out why the shift detents aren't working. It's a '72 K10, but the tilt was added at some point afterwards, so I'm not even positive what year the column is. Everything appears to match all the photos I've seen for '72 trucks, except for the shift lever itself. Compared to the one that GMCPaul and ClassicHeartbeat sell (first photo), mine is more curved (second photo). I want to make sure these are the same lever, or at least the new one is compatible with my column, because the ends look slightly different (third photo).

My guess is that my old lever is supposed to look like the new one, but that extra little notch on the end is the result of being broken, not manufactured. From what I can see in the column, this would make it so the detents didn't work. If so, I'd like to buy a new lever. But I just want to make sure I'm not dealing with a completely different setup (different year, model, whatever) that's supposed to look that way, since I know the column was added later.

Anyone know for sure? Going fishing for missing chunks with a magnet here in a few...
Attached Images

1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
Livrat
Member #1049

Re: Can someone give me any info on this shift lever? GMCPaul, Wes?

Your lever is the Van/motorhome shorter one, they used a smaller steering wheel, the picture of the reproduction one is the longer factory 71-72 tilt lever, both will interchange.
You more than likely will not find any "chunks" of metal, the missing portion on yours is was just normally wears down over the years, I have had good luck just welding up the "notch" and filing it to match the rest
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
joeydurango

Thanks Livrat! I guess its being shorter and more curved as a van lever is why my original-style wheel would hit the lever when the tilt was all the way up.

I did find a lot of metal dust-infused gunk from years of wearing down. However, I think the majority of it broke at once because the (very trustworthy) PO said the shift detents worked fine when he had it, and by the time it arrived here with the shipper it didn't work. Also, the previously attached rearview mirror was lying on the floor. The shipper was a big man with an enclosed trailer, and he had to crawl out the truck's window after he drove it into the trailer. I think he was flailing around in there with his feet and kicked the mirror off, and also kicked the crap out of the shift lever. While it doesn't make up for the broken state of things, at least I can laugh thinking about that guy trying to squeeze out of the window... too bad I didn't find out until he had driven off into the sunset.

New lever it is. I'll put in a new pointer and shift indicator light bulb while I'm in there, too. Thanks again!
Old 02-15-2016, 12:08 AM   #4
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Was the bulb filter was still in the column?: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...43&postcount=7

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
joeydurango

Hey Pete, there was a full metal cover with a little hole directly under the shift indicator plastic, but it was missing the translucent plastic filter. Didn't even realize it was missing a part until I saw the thread you linked to. I wonder why the cap would be there but the filter missing?

I did find these last night: http://www.flipflopled.com/index.php...product_id=520

They're LED replacements for those little T53 bulbs. Should last longer than the originals... and you can get them in colors too!
Old 02-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #6
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydurango View Post
Hey Pete, there was a full metal cover with a little hole directly under the shift indicator plastic, but it was missing the translucent plastic filter. Didn't even realize it was missing a part until I saw the thread you linked to. I wonder why the cap would be there but the filter missing?

I did find these last night: http://www.flipflopled.com/index.php...product_id=520

They're LED replacements for those little T53 bulbs. Should last longer than the originals... and you can get them in colors too!
The plastic filter seems to get brittle and crack with age then got lost or tossed when the lens is removed - mentioned only to spare you the hassle of diving back in if it wasn't there. I've got some spares but the green LED bulb may be a better way to go. If you go LED please let me know how it works, I'm sure others would be curious too.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote