The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #1
WACONUT

47 Chevy Truck Floor Question

Hi Guys,
I bought a 47 truck about 6 weeks ago that had an older restoration. The truck has a 77 Nova front sub frame and rear end. The truck is fairly solid except for the floor. Looks like it sat outside a lot with leaky window and cab seals and the floor set in water.

Anyhow looking at the available restoration parts for the floor it appears the complete floors that are available say they fit 49-53. The repair panels say they fit 47-54. I would like to put a complete new floor pan in the truck when I take it down this coming winter for restoration. What would be the best approach to replacing the floor? Can I make the complete floor for the 49-53 fit the 47?

I have been fixing a few mechanical issues to get it road worthy to drive for the summer, just planning ahead for next winter.

Thanks!!
Anthony
WACONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Hilljack51

Re: 47 Chevy Truck Floor Question

I may be wrong (happens a lot), but I believe the reason there is a difference between the entire floor, and the repair panels is because the earlier AD trucks (47-48) had frame mounted fuel tanks, instead of the in cab tanks used in the later trucks. So I'd imagine LMC and other suppliers are just making it easy on themselves and only supplying the 49 and up floors.

I personally wouldn't worry about changing the entire floor pan out, especially because it sounds like the truck is pretty solid otherwise. My 51 was a rust-belt truck with a lot of rust in the floor and I was able to rebuild it with a few repair panels, some spare sheet metal, and some welding and grinding.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilljack51 View Post
I may be wrong (happens a lot), but I believe the reason there is a difference between the entire floor, and the repair panels is because the earlier AD trucks (47-48) had frame mounted fuel tanks, instead of the in cab tanks used in the later trucks. So I'd imagine LMC and other suppliers are just making it easy on themselves and only supplying the 49 and up floors.

I personally wouldn't worry about changing the entire floor pan out, especially because it sounds like the truck is pretty solid otherwise. My 51 was a rust-belt truck with a lot of rust in the floor and I was able to rebuild it with a few repair panels, some spare sheet metal, and some welding and grinding.

Hope this helps.
Edit: I was wrong.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"

Last edited by MARTINSR; 04-04-2016 at 01:07 PM.
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
WACONUT

Thanks for the tip,
The guy who rebuilt the truck added a later(49-54) in cab fuel tank to the truck. I plan on putting a different tank in the bed between the frame rails. The entire floor in the truck will need to be replaced. I think I will order the 49-54 floor and make that work.

Now to find a decent hood, I have tried (2) one piece aftermarket hoods and (1) 2 piece hood and none fit worth a (*%^&*. The factory hood fits very nice but is in terrible shape. Too thin to save.

Thanks Again!!
Anthony
Old 04-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Several differences in that floor. One being the tank mounting brackets in the cab which you can take out and the emergency brake on a 47 should be right of the shifter 49ish up have a pedal brake on the left side next to the kick panel, third 47 is a center hung rear cab mount. 49ish up have side hung.

Can you make it work, yes.

You would cover the pedal hole, remove the tank brackets or leave them in and convert to side hung can mounts which is a better system..
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
MARTINSR

Here's the whole floor, but it's not cheap!http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...ts/14101w.html

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
WACONUT

Thanks!!
For me the whole floor option will be the way to go.

If I was worried about cheap I might as well find another hobby. After 6 weeks of working on this thing nothing is cheap. I have invested over $2k in it in 6 weeks. The Nova front end needed rebuilt and the guy who built the thing heated the springs with a torch to get the proper ride height I wound up installing a new coil over suspension up front and replacing a lower control arm. The truck now drives and rides pretty nice.
I will start a build thread this winter once I start tearing it down for the restoration.

Later!!
Anthony
Old 04-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Its actually easier to do the entire floor than patches when you have to do inner corners and rockers as well.

We have done several floors so if you need some tips before you do it just call or email me
We are a little cheaper than classic if you need a price with shipping let me know your not obligated to purchase if you ask questions
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote