The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
Brysenj

Exclamation 1970 front clip help!

I need to remove the front clip from my 1970 c10 what bolts hold it in what do i need to remove to get the entire front clip off
Brysenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
old Chevy guy

Re: 1970 front clip help!

Wiring harness from firewall at back of fuse panel.theres a screw and it unplugs. The wiper arms then the cowl. There's two bolts on top of the fender under there. The radiator support mounts. A bar that goes around the steering shaft on the drivers wheel well. Two big bolts through fender wells one on each side in wheel wells that go into the cab floor support. They are 5/8 head I think and have big washers on them. Also two bolts 1 each side bottom of fender underneath at front of rocker panels. Radiater,hoses transmission cooler lines. Not sure if it's nessasary for sure but its a lot easier with front bumper off. That will get you started. I'll check if I missed something. I could post a picture if you can't find some of the bolts. Also if you search this forum in the forum tools you will most likely find threads from others that have asked the same . Good luck and welcome to the forum!!
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #3
In The Ten Ring

I have most of my front clip off.

When I removed the bumper, that was the first time I've had to use a 1/2" breaker bar. Gosh those things are nice to have.

Let's see, what did I do?

1). Removed hood springs
2). Removed hood (marked hinge holes with a sharpie).
3). hood hinges came off next.
4). (already had the hood latch off).
5). Grill came out (inner and outer) but I really should have removed the bumper first.
6). Passenger side outer and inner fenders (separated later).
7). Unscrew wiring gutter from core support
8). Radiator core support came out.

*I already had my battery tray and radiator out.

It's not hard to do. I had to cut part of my inner fender away due to rusted bolts and grind one radiator core support (to frame) bolt out due to rust also.

Other than needing a cutting wheel, grinder, and that 1/2" breaker bar, everything else came out easily with 3/8" and 1/4" ratchets. I could have used a long (20 inch) extension when removing the grill from the passenger side outer fender but I combined every short extension I had to do it. I have since bought "wobble" extensions.

Take pics as you go and be sure to clean up your old bolts and label those so you won't get things mixed up.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #4
Brysenj

Thanks guys that what I'm going to do thanks for the help
Old 04-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #5
old Chevy guy

If you want to take the clip off as a whole you wont need to take off the hood or grill or even fender wells. The wiring if disconnected from the firewall will stay with the clip. The wiring on the engine compartment side separates in two sections from the back of the fuse box half goes to the engine and transmission and the other half to the front clip, headlights markers horn regulator etc. there may be a few misc wires to disconnect but the bulk of the wiring to the clip will stay with the clip. you could unhook the hoses and leave the radiator in the clip or take it out completely. It goes without saying you will need help to pull it off. Again let me know if you need a picture of anything to better show the location.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #6
Brysenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Chevy guy View Post
If you want to take the clip off as a whole you wont need to take off the hood or grill or even fender wells. The wiring if disconnected from the firewall will stay with the clip. The wiring on the engine compartment side separates in two sections from the back of the fuse box half goes to the engine and transmission and the other half to the front clip, headlights markers horn regulator etc. there may be a few misc wires to disconnect but the bulk of the wiring to the clip will stay with the clip. you could unhook the hoses and leave the radiator in the clip or take it out completely. It goes without saying you will need help to pull it off. Again let me know if you need a picture of anything to better show the location.
Okay going to try it this afternoon thanks
Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #7
Dad's72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brysenj View Post
Okay going to try it this afternoon thanks
So how did it go? I am going to attempt this next weekend so I am on here doing some studying before I get down to it. Did anyone have pictures or know of a detailed step by step version of what to do? The steps are here and that does help and I am printing this out but I am largely a visual person.
Dad's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
GR8-68

If you strap it right you can lift it off with a motor hoist, I have done that before.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote