The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #1
Rob68c10

Anybody replaced lower radiator mounts while the support is in the truck?

I have discovered that besides going with a custom aluminum radiator, I will not find a drop in replacement. If you go to buy a replacement from Autozone, Napa, Rock Auto, etc., they will have the right core size, but all are made to fit the wider 4 core mounts. I was trying to get away with finding a used one, or just a cheap one from the parts store to hold me for a couple years until I tear the truck down. I already have a 4 core radiator so I figured I would see how much of a pain it is to install the 4 row mounts in my truck. It looks like a pain in the rear, as the mounts are right over the frame. Has anybody swapped them while the support was still in the truck?
Rob68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #2
macblazer2

Re: Anybody replaced lower radiator mounts while the support is in the truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob68c10 View Post
I have discovered that besides going with a custom aluminum radiator, I will not find a drop in replacement. If you go to buy a replacement from Autozone, Napa, Rock Auto, etc., they will have the right core size, but all are made to fit the wider 4 core mounts. I was trying to get away with finding a used one, or just a cheap one from the parts store to hold me for a couple years until I tear the truck down. I already have a 4 core radiator so I figured I would see how much of a pain it is to install the 4 row mounts in my truck. It looks like a pain in the rear, as the mounts are right over the frame. Has anybody swapped them while the support was still in the truck?
I know I replaced them in the wife's 72 C10. But can't remember if I did that before or when I swapped out the radiator core support (her's has rust damage at some point in its life from a leaky battery). Pretty sure I also replaced them in my 71 C20. If you're talking the C looking mounts at the bottom of the core support that the radiator sits into as I remember they just slide into a channel, but I remember have to smack them a bit to pop them lose.
macblazer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
Wookiee

If I remember correctly, the bottom mounts just sit in place. There's a tab bent into the bottom of the mount and a corresponding slot in the bottom of the core support. There really isn't much mechanically holding the rad in place, just the friction in the mounts. Lasted this long though.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
macblazer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
If I remember correctly, the bottom mounts just sit in place. There's a tab bent into the bottom of the mount and a corresponding slot in the bottom of the core support. There really isn't much mechanically holding the rad in place, just the friction in the mounts. Lasted this long though.
Yeah that is what I remember from both my 71 and 72 as well. Just from years being in there I had to pop mine a few times with a hammer to break them loose.
macblazer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #5
RodnRudy

The lower rubber pad holders on my core support were riveted on so you would have to drill them out. With the radiator, shroud and fan removed you should be able to get in there to remove the old ones. The four core holders are longer so you have to bend the core support lip out a little to seat the holders.They won't move with the radiator in place so no rivets are needed.
Not an easy job but can be accomplished.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #6
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodnRudy View Post
The lower rubber pad holders on my core support were riveted on so you would have to drill them out. With the radiator, shroud and fan removed you should be able to get in there to remove the old ones. The four core holders are longer so you have to bend the core support lip out a little to seat the holders.They won't move with the radiator in place so no rivets are needed.
Not an easy job but can be accomplished.
That is correct, the rivets have to be drilled out. I went ahead and used a stainless pan head bolt with a nylock nut to finish it off. Ground the pan head a little more to let the rubber set in there better.

The tuff part is getting a wrench in there to tighten that little bugger between the frame and the bottom of the core support.

It can be done, I have done it twice now.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
TwistedCycles

I used an air chisel to get the rivets off, then just laid in the lower radiator supports that I purchased thru LMC. I'm running an original style brass 4 row radiator, but I'm sure the aluminum ones mount similarly. I highly recommend using a fan shroud, and perhaps a fan clutch. I don't have the fan clutch and the underhood noise is kinda loud.

Butch.
TwistedCycles is offline   Reply With Quote