The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
cpnbnanamn

A few questions......

So, Im working on my '67 Chevy SWB Step... has an inline 6, manual brakes, and 3-ott. Here's what Im currently in process of, and have questions about: (I said in my intro post I had lotsa questions!)

Carb is nasty, and I am rebuilding it. Best place to get rebuild kit? What about needle adjustment and rebuild info?

Best headlight options? The old bulbs are weak-sauce..

Can the dealership still cut keys for a truck this old using the VIN?

I want to put a master cylinder with a booster on it, and I do have spindles with disc brakes to be put on.. How involved is this?

I want to take off the cheesy Grant steering wheel, and put a stock one back on.. where to find?
On that same note, how hard is it to change to power-steerimg?

Im sure there are many more questions, but thats a start... Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

-Roger
cpnbnanamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
franken

Re: A few questions......

Get parts from the nearest auto parts store.
They cut keys at home stores, you might check there for a duplicate from an existing key.
Dim headlights is most likely bad wiring. Measure the voltage to ground with the lights on.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
cpnbnanamn

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Get parts from the nearest auto parts store.
They cut keys at home stores, you might check there for a duplicate from an existing key.
Dim headlights is most likely bad wiring. Measure the voltage to ground with the lights on.
I have the original key.. just need spares, and wanted to go Chevy..
Dim headlights isnt the issue.. just wanted something better than stock.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
dmjlambert

I went up to Walmart and got the Sylvania Halogen sealed beam headlights for about $8/piece. They are nice and bright. I am going to do the relay mod to make them even brighter when I get through with some higher priority items. There is discussion in the Electrical section of the forum on headlight brightness.

You can get shiny new GM key blanks from catalog stores such as Classic Industries and LMC, and get them cut at any locksmith or most hardware stores.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
71swb4x4

Headlights - start with the relay mod and work your way from there. The relay mod is such a huge improvement that it really should be where you start.

The dealership can't use your VIN. Do you have a key? Many locksmiths can make a new key from your old using their code cards. This will give a crisp new key without them following the old worn down key. They will use your old key to gauge, but not to cut.

Very common to add disc brakes from a newer truck. Not overly complicated. Search for threads on it.

Power steering is fairly easy, again search for some threads on it.

Look on the parts board here for the steering wheel.

Also look up swaybars and also internally regulated alternators for more good mods.

When I get to a computer I can help dig some threads up.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #6
cpnbnanamn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Headlights - start with the relay mod and work your way from there. The relay mod is such a huge improvement that it really should be where you start.

The dealership can't use your VIN. Do you have a key? Many locksmiths can make a new key from your old using their code cards. This will give a crisp new key without them following the old worn down key. They will use your old key to gauge, but not to cut.

Very common to add disc brakes from a newer truck. Not overly complicated. Search for threads on it.

Power steering is fairly easy, again search for some threads on it.

Look on the parts board here for the steering wheel.

Also look up swaybars and also internally regulated alternators for more good mods.

When I get to a computer I can help dig some threads up.

Thanks a ton, all!! I'm in my garage as we speak, but on a tablet, so the search funtion doesn't work as well..