The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
70STOVEBOLT

Rustoleum high heat ultra

I have searched and could not find any threads about using this for painting headers. Anybody used it with any success?

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:42 AM   #2
un4gvn!

Re: Rustoleum high heat ultra

I've used Dupl-Color or Krylon high temp 1200 degree paint with extreme success. The trick is in the prep. For best results is to sand blast the headers. You can hand sand them, but that is more work. Plus the sand blaster gets into the places the sandpaper will not. If you can, hang the headers from something (ceiling, scaffold, tree limb, etc.). Here is the trick. Take a propane torch and heat the tubes by blowing the flame into each tube. DO NOT touch the flame on the header. If you hold the flame inside the opening of the tube, you will see the heat wave travel the length of the tube. Do this on both ends of the header. DO NOT get the header glowing hot. You just want it hot enough to see the heat wave. Make sure you shake the spray can really good. It comes in several colors and sheens. I sprayed mine silver like the ceramic coated headers. I painted mine 6 years ago and they still look good. The paint will not burn off. I've seen people who used this same product and they painted their headers right out of the box and watched it burn off in 10 minutes because they didn't prep it properly. Sorry for making this a novel. Just one idea I've used for many years. Cheaper than ceramic coating or chrome.
un4gvn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
70STOVEBOLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn! View Post
I've used Dupl-Color or Krylon high temp 1200 degree paint with extreme success. The trick is in the prep. For best results is to sand blast the headers. You can hand sand them, but that is more work. Plus the sand blaster gets into the places the sandpaper will not. If you can, hang the headers from something (ceiling, scaffold, tree limb, etc.). Here is the trick. Take a propane torch and heat the tubes by blowing the flame into each tube. DO NOT touch the flame on the header. If you hold the flame inside the opening of the tube, you will see the heat wave travel the length of the tube. Do this on both ends of the header. DO NOT get the header glowing hot. You just want it hot enough to see the heat wave. Make sure you shake the spray can really good. It comes in several colors and sheens. I sprayed mine silver like the ceramic coated headers. I painted mine 6 years ago and they still look good. The paint will not burn off. I've seen people who used this same product and they painted their headers right out of the box and watched it burn off in 10 minutes because they didn't prep it properly. Sorry for making this a novel. Just one idea I've used for many years. Cheaper than ceramic coating or chrome.
Are you saying to heat the headers before applying the paint? What did you do to "cure" the paint afterwards, if anything?

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

Old 10-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #4
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
Are you saying to heat the headers before applying the paint? What did you do to "cure" the paint afterwards, if anything?
The way that I read his post is to "slightly" heat them from within NOT THE OUTSIDES and then SHAKE THE CAN of PAINT real good then spray them. The heat cures them just as if you were to drive your vehicle right after installing your freshly painted exhaust.
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
Skunksmash

Quote:
How about heating them up in the oven? Before, and after, to bake the paint on. IIRC, the can actually says to do this. It even goes so far as to tell you what oven temp to heat the header to before paint, and after paint. Then it says that once they are on the engine, the final heating/baking of the paint will be done by the heat of the exhaust flowing through them. I can't remember exactly, but it was something like 200 degrees before paint, 400 degrees after paint, and then the exhaust flowing through them finishes it off at an even higher temp.

And then they're done, and the paint stays good forever.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

I've used VHT to good effect. I didn't pre-bake, but after hanging pre-sandblasted headers in the Arizona summer sun for a few hours, they're too hot to handle with bare hands. A couple of coats of VHT Cast Iron Gray has lasted about 11 years. Only lately is a little rust coming up, and that's because I've been having to leave the hood up to discourage packrats from nesting in the engine bay. [If the hood is up, they're not safe from cats.]

Another method I used was a DIY ceramic coating from Eastwood [about $50 a can in 2007]. Headers were sandblasted and the ceramic coating was airbrushed on. After they were not runny -- about a day later-- I put both headers in my Mom's old electric oven for 2 hour at 500*F. Came out good.
I used Black, but after my project was done the next Eastwood catalog showed a Titanium shade. Oh well.

V8 headers will fit in the conventional oven, but long tube L6 headers are probably too long. Don't use the oven indoors, lots of fumes, and don't use an oven you still need for cooking food for humans. Once it's a header oven it can't go back.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:25 AM   #7
PeterHall

I used some POR 15 high temperature paint on our exhuast. It was a really nice silver when sprayed. It really like being baked on when the engine got the exhaust nice and hot. Otherwise even stuff like simple green seemed to wipe it off.
PeterHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:54 AM   #8
Benny-

Just read the directions on the can. I think I used VHT too. You have to heat the headers with a few heat cycles after painting. Pre heating shouldn't be necessary for a good finish, but I can see how it may help. I painted mine and put them on the truck then followed the instructions. Something like drive for 15 mins then cool for 30 then drive for 20 then cool, etc... after one year of daily driving mine still look perfect.

1978 GMC K15 High Sierra.
Benny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:27 AM   #9
un4gvn!

You can heat the whole header in one shot. It only takes a few minutes to get it hot. The header will hold the heat for a while. What the heat mostly does is removes the moisture which hurts the adhesion of the paint. When you buy new headers, they have a thin layer of black paint or some kind of oil coating to protect them from what we call shelf rust. Who knows how long the headers will sit before they are sold and installed. First time users of headers will complain to where ever they bought them because they weren't informed. That is why you see more rusty looking headers because people don't want to remove them and finish them the right way. I for one don't like to remove them if I don't have to. Finish them right before you install them and be done with them.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #10
Skunksmash

Quote:
You can heat the whole header in one shot. It only takes a few minutes to get it hot. The header will hold the heat for a while. What the heat mostly does is removes the moisture which hurts the adhesion of the paint. When you buy new headers, they have a thin layer of black paint or some kind of oil coating to protect them from what we call shelf rust. Who knows how long the headers will sit before they are sold and installed. First time users of headers will complain to where ever they bought them because they weren't informed. That is why you see more rusty looking headers because people don't want to remove them and finish them the right way. I for one don't like to remove them if I don't have to. Finish them right before you install them and be done with them.

Have you ever pointed a little IR temperature gun at the header, once it was ready for paint? I'd like to know the actual temp so I know when to stop heating them.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #11
70STOVEBOLT

I will pre-heat them somehow, either with a propane torch or in the oven, before I spray them. I just got the headers yesterday, going to bead blast them and then I will heat them and spray them. I appreciate the advice guys. FWIW, Hedman calls their black coated Hedders "uncoated" and it states in the instructions that the black coating is only to prevent shelf rust, and they should be properly painted/coated prior to installation.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

Old 10-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #12
ghalperin

I've had good results by using a heat gun after painting with VHT Flame Proof.

Name:  IMG_1581.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  48.9 KB

I carefully lay the header on the ground and insert the heat gun tip into the collector and run the heat gun on high for 20-30 minutes. I then let it cool completely and repeat for a total of 3 cycles. Make sure the heat gun is blowing down the tube and is not blowing on the side of the tube, it'll make the paint bubble.

1960 Burro Corvair/VW Buggy - Factory made in Santa Ana, Ca

1929 Ford Model A Roadster - traditional pre-war banger hot rod
ghalperin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #13
A1971Blazer

I'm using manifolds on my LS1 swap....new take offs....gonna glass bead and paint
Here's what VHT recommended....process as specified on directions...
Name:  IMG_0610.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  48.3 KB

I'm gonna use my gas grill to do the baking process....
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:25 AM   #14
un4gvn!

I use white play sand for blasting because it leaves a slightly rough texture where as the glass bead leaves it sort of smooth and polished. I never used the primer or the clear. I always got good results. I'm not saying you don't have to use them. My methods are old school and we are always learning new ways everyday. Let us know how they turn out.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #15
A1971Blazer

Quote:
I use white play sand for blasting because it leaves a slightly rough texture where as the glass bead leaves it sort of smooth and polished. I never used the primer or the clear. I always got good results. I'm not saying you don't have to use them. My methods are old school and we are always learning new ways everyday. Let us know how they turn out.
Will do...
I usually use aluminum oxide media in my cabinet or glass beads....I use blasting sand in my big outdoor blaster...
I'm trying to decide if I want to use the heat shields that came on them or grind off all the bosses for the threaded holes and the casting flash and just leave the shield off....the shields are kinda ugly but they might serve some purpose....?
.....opinions......?

2010 Camaro manifolds...will be using the "cast iron" color paint

Name:  IMG_0611.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0612.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  64.3 KB
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote