The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2003, 04:13 PM   #1
Trouper

Electrical problem... suggestions?

I got through with the engine swap over a month ago, but still haven't been able to enjoy the truck yet. I have a problem with the battery draining overnight, and I have to jump it off to get it started. It has a new Autozone battery in it, and the alternator is working fine. The alternator tested fine, on and off the truck, and the battery tested fine after a recharge. Also the charging system tested fine, sending a good voltage back to the battrey in the truck when running. I need suggestions on what else to look for that can be draining the battery overnight. HELP!
"Cop Car Engine"
305 TBI to gas swap from a 1993 9C1
w/Rochester 2bbl for gas mileage...

Last edited by Trouper; 10-12-2003 at 04:17 PM.
Trouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 06:48 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

are ya sure none of the wiring harness got crushed or caught somewhere with the motor swap? maybe theres some kind of problem with the ignition switch not shutting off totally when she sets

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 07:39 PM   #3
Frank-id

Ah yes the elusive electrical leak

Electrical faults are not difficult to find and repair....... My bet is the alternator is the problem. A fully charged battery should indicate 12.6 volts measured witha digital multi meter. A very east to find any battery loss is...... remove the ground cable from battery. Connect a head lite, any 12 volt lite or horn between ground cable and battery post. If there is ANY load or drain on the battery, the lite will be "on" or the horn will sound. I use a motor cycle horn as I am often some distance from battery. Da old guy...

Last edited by Frank-id; 10-12-2003 at 09:33 PM.
Frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote