The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
Lovett

New guy needs some help

I just picked up a 65 GMC short bed- 350 engine- power glide transmission.

My plans are to lower it this spring with drop spindle and air ride. Drive it this summer, then do more with the truck later.

I have a few question, I need help with on the truck.
I have been told it is a c-10 and a c-20. It has leaf springs in the rear. Coil springs in the front. Checking the vin # it has an I for inline, 01 for wheel base of 115" F for 64-66 cab/6 cylinder and A for under 6,000#Does that make it a c-10? Is there a easy way to check something to tell? Asking because I need to order dropped spindles and front end rebuild parts.

Its going to be a low $ junk yard-do it your self type of build.

With drop spindles and air bags on the front, what size tire-wheels-wheel offset do I need to be able to have the frame sit on the ground. Also clear brake calipers. I am ok with cutting the inner fenders. I will upgrade the fronts to disc brakes.

The rear of the truck I plan on doing a 4 link-pan hard bar with bags. Going to notch the frame. What is a good donor rear end to look for in an upgrade? With the power glide now and maybe a 350 transmission later. What would be a good gear ratio to get? Low HP, but does go on the highway to get to work.

Also on the rear going to weld on aftermarket brackets , do disc brakes, GM metric calipers. What is a good brake master cylinder for that combination?

I have a lot of air ride questions, but will save them for later. Right now trying to round up the junk yard parts. After the snow melts, be ready to start working on the truck.

Thanks Tom

Last edited by Lovett; 01-04-2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added something
Lovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: New guy needs some help

Welcome, this forum has seen many questions like yours and they are archived and accessible by using the search box at the top of the page. Simply click the button to 67-72 chevytrucks.com and you can search thru enough info to keep up until morning. Also after logging in you will notice the dropdown menu toward the bottom of the page will allow you access to a myriad of subforums such as suspension, engines and drivetrains, as well as frequently asked questions. Please take advantage of these resources because you'd be hard pressed to find a greater storehouse of information pertaining to these trucks anywhere on the web. Good luck, Dave
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
AcampoDave

By the way, from the factory, c10's had 6 lugs. C20's had 8. Rear leaf springs were available on c10's during 60-66 as an option.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
jtrichard

Almost all GMCs had rear leaf springs and GMC was 1000 1500 or 2500 Chevy was C10 or C20 ....Short bed should be 1/2 ton 6 lug ( don't think factory made any shorts with 8 lug/C20) 8 lug being 3/4 or 1 ton
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
Johns66

Welcome to the board, the guys on here have a lot of knowledge. Check out the FAQ section, there is some great info there.

I lived in Grand Rapids 21 years off of Plainfield and Five Mile road.
Johns66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:52 PM   #6
Lovett

Thanks for the info. so if it has 6 lugs it is a 1000-c-10? Hey Johns66. I am about 10 west of the Plainfield area. Ever hang out at Johnny Benson's shop? An other question. Anyone ever put the news Camaro rear end in a truck?
Lovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #7
AcampoDave

6 lug=1/2 ton. But don't confuse the C10, C20, C30 names which is for Chevrolet 1/2 ton, 3/4 and 1 ton with the GMC names. The trucks are similar but there are some distinct differences especially with regard to drive train options and interior features.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Welcome to the forum.
As Johns66 mentioned, there's a huge faq thread that always stays near the top of the page in the "sticky" area.
Here's the link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=646002

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote