The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Truck on EBay Factory A/C Question

I saw this truck this morning on EBay and its really cool . Looking at the pics I see the owner has redone the interior very nicely and all the options on the Spid appear to be on the truck. The seller says it has factory A/C which from the under hood and the cab vent pics shows it seems to be a factory installed A/C system. My question is, if the A/C is factory why isn't it on the spid? Any ideas anyone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-GMC-Sie...E:B:SS:CA:1120

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
67 chevelle

Re: Truck on EBay Factory A/C Question

It appears to be factory , the glove box door is a different color than the rest of the truck , I believe it should be the same color as the dash , nice truck
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 chevelle View Post
It appears to be factory , the glove box door is a different color than the rest of the truck , I believe it should be the same color as the dash , nice truck
GMC glove box doors usually were the same color as the dash surrounds and with being a base truck and with the interior work done on this truck you can see the glove box door (which was probably black to start with ) was repainted to match the new dash bezel. The GMC Z62 CST and Sierra Package trucks had the gauge surround and glove box door pained like the main interior color.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Truck on EBay Factory A/C Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I saw this truck this morning on EBay and its really cool . Looking at the pics I see the owner has redone the interior very nicely and all the options on the Spid appear to be on the truck. The seller says it has factory A/C which from the under hood and the cab vent pics shows it seems to be a factory installed A/C system. My question is, if the A/C is factory why isn't it on the spid? Any ideas anyone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-GMC-Sie...E:B:SS:CA:1120

Back then what people say where factory installed was a dealer installed one. If you had the money you could of had that installed after you bought the truck.
People where not as picky about those type of things like we are today.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #5
67 chevelle

I also noticed after looking again , it appears that one spid has been glued on top of another , look in the lower left corner of the spid picture , that in no way would sway me from this truck if I was interested
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Back then what people say where factory installed was a dealer installed one. If you had the money you could of had that installed after you bought the truck.
People where not as picky about those type of things like we are today.
Hmmm... I think the odds of a dealership installing the FACTORY a/c system is pretty low. GMC offered a couple of add-on AC units that would have been far more likely.

My best guess is that the glovebox door is from a different truck, but I don't really know.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #7
Joesjunk

the SPID looks right to me, just has a corner peeling up. I added factory ac to my '71 K/10 back in 1991, and to look at it today it just looks like an old truck with factory ac. It must have just been added some time along the way.
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe 91k original paint
72 Cheyenne/30 Dually
69 Camaro SS396 4-speed
13 GMC 2500HD Duramax I bought new
05 Jeep Wrangler "Willys Edition" 12k miles (I bought new)
85 3/4 ton 4x4 Scottsdale 33k miles original paint
86 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 454 restored
80 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 9,434 original miles!! original paint
95 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4 my dad bought new
95 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4, regular cab 454, 31k original miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 6.0L 67k miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 8.1L 28k miles
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 regular cab Diesel 93k miles

67-72 Parts for sale
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
B. W.

A/C should be on the spid, different door? different spid? 4x4 vacuum reservoirs sit on an offset bracket, bracket is missing. Also, if you look under the vacuum reservoir, there is a strip of black tape - box is cracked. On the blend door lever (in engine bay) I can't see a cable to it (might be there, I just can't see it) It's possible the A/C was added.
I wouldn't let any of these issues keep me from buying it as long as the bid doesn't go too high.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #9
dfwright

I've seen a number of threads here on the board where folks say they want to add a "factory A/C" to their truck. We tend to use the term to distinguish between the factory system and a newer aftermarket system like Vintage Air, not so much that it was put in from the factory. The seller could have added a "factory A/C" to the truck that didn't originally have A/C.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
Shinysideup

It has Ac, who cares when? I think that WINCH is worth comenting on though! WOW
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:40 PM   #11
samkost

MY 72 C10 has a tilt column but it is not listed on my SPID.
A dealership or mechanic may have added a correct tilt for a previous owner at a later time.
Curious, is there a possibilty that some options were not updated and might have been inadvertantly omitted on the original SPID's from the factory?
I wonder if anyone else may have factory options on their trucks not listed on the glove box SPID?
That trucks A/C system looks to be correct.
samkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:18 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Truck on EBay Factory A/C Question

I can tell you Yes you could of had the factory AC added to the truck for the right amount of money at the dealership.
My dad worked for GM and drove several of these model trucks and yes he had the factory AC added to a couple of them for customers. Not everyone would spend the money to have it done, they would have the cheaper under dash unit installed but you could have the 4 season installed if that's what you wanted.

These trucks are 40 years old and you can make a spid to match your truck so is it are isn't it doesn't matter in the long run. You only have the PO word on what the vehicle is unless he has complete documentation and even then it's not always 100%. I don't know about all of you but it is harder for me to believe some one bought a truck in 1967 and it changed hands several times over the years and nothing was taken off of it are added to it.

It's a nice truck so go for it if it's what you want.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #13
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysideup View Post
It has Ac, who cares when? I think that WINCH is worth comenting on though! WOW
Cable operated spur gear, probably an early Warn. Would definitely be cool if it were a pre Warn Belleview! Try to find out! But it will be an amp hog for sure. The simple spur gear is a robust design that lives on. But the faster less power consumptive planetary winches rule the day now. But what a true classic, mounted on a true classic.

Also, another quick note: Check out how it's mounted to the front of the bumper!
Old 01-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #14
B. W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Cable operated spur gear, probably an early Warn. Would definitely be cool if it were a pre Warn Belleview! Try to find out! But it will be an amp hog for sure. The simple spur gear is a robust design that lives on. But the faster less power consumptive planetary winches rule the day now. But what a true classic, mounted on a true classic.

Also, another quick note: Check out how it's mounted to the front of the bumper!
Looks like a Warn Belleview, replaced by the 8274, the belleview does not have power out. Mounted on a warn bumper. Herm the Overdrive Guy has limited parts for them. It is period correct. I'd run it, one of my sons would provide the power out!
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #15
LongBox

That interior paint scheme matches my 69 GMC truck. The glove box matches the gauge cluster and the door panels.

Can't comment on the AC, except to note that it is my understanding that the firewalls are different on AC and non-AC trucks. So how did the dealerships add "factory" AC?

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:49 PM   #16
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBox View Post
That interior paint scheme matches my 69 GMC truck. The glove box matches the gauge cluster and the door panels.

Can't comment on the AC, except to note that it is my understanding that the firewalls are different on AC and non-AC trucks. So how did the dealerships add "factory" AC?
most relevant post! TWO burning questions I had and you pinged em. So your GMC has same color interior with a gloss black gb door? I've not seen that before - but GMC is a bit of a different world to me. I have to admit I've never seen a red cluster/door as posted above either (although it looks good). I always though GMCs had the satin paint gb door (whatever the color) and had a satin silver border on the perimeter of the gb door(??) Just to be clear - the interior from the ad Greg was asking about is posted below - the one in post 3 is one he shared for comparison (I was corn-fused for a little bit)

As for whether or not a/c was factory installed or not, probably doesn't matter much, but I do think the answer would appear if the firewall were examined underneath. Not that I'm gonna buy it just to find out though.

Greg, my assumption would have been that it would be on the SPID, so either it's a missed SPID RPO for an "at the factory" install or it's somehow installed as an afterthought by a dealer or po. But, bottom line, I think the gb door has been painted (if the SPID VIN matches the truck VIN) or replaced (if the VINs don't match - which I doubt is the case because the SPID, which isn't a repop, sure describes this truck to a t, except for the a/c). Seller lists a VIN that matches the SPID, but who knows what the metal tag says... I'd sure want to verify they match if I were interested. It is a nice truck and the a/c wouldn't deter me from buying it if I were interested. Agree, the winch is coo!
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 01-05-2017 at 08:55 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #17
projectking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
most relevant post! TWO burning questions I had and you pinged em. So your GMC has same color interior with a gloss black gb door? I've not seen that before - but GMC is a bit of a different world to me. I have to admit I've never seen a red cluster/door as posted above either (although it looks good). I always though GMCs had the satin paint gb door (whatever the color) and had a satin silver border on the perimeter of the gb door(??) Just to be clear - the interior from the ad Greg was asking about is posted below - the one in post 3 is one he shared for comparison (I was corn-fused for a little bit)

As for whether or not a/c was factory installed or not, probably doesn't matter much, but I do think the answer would appear if the firewall were examined underneath. Not that I'm gonna buy it just to find out though.

Greg, my assumption would have been that it would be on the SPID, so either it's a missed SPID RPO for an "at the factory" install or it's somehow installed as an afterthought by a dealer or po. But, bottom line, I think the gb door has been painted (if the SPID VIN matches the truck VIN) or replaced (if the VINs don't match - which I doubt is the case because the SPID, which isn't a repop, sure describes this truck to a t, except for the a/c). Seller lists a VIN that matches the SPID, but who knows what the metal tag says... I'd sure want to verify they match if I were interested. It is a nice truck and the a/c wouldn't deter me from buying it if I were interested. Agree, the winch is coo!
Here's my '68 with the same color scheme!
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:43 PM   #18
Joesjunk

71-72's (probably 69-70 also) on GMC's, the glove box door has always been painted (gloss) the interior color along with the gauge bezel face. That black glove box door looks correct and original to me.
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe 91k original paint
72 Cheyenne/30 Dually
69 Camaro SS396 4-speed
13 GMC 2500HD Duramax I bought new
05 Jeep Wrangler "Willys Edition" 12k miles (I bought new)
85 3/4 ton 4x4 Scottsdale 33k miles original paint
86 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 454 restored
80 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 9,434 original miles!! original paint
95 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4 my dad bought new
95 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4, regular cab 454, 31k original miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 6.0L 67k miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 8.1L 28k miles
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 regular cab Diesel 93k miles

67-72 Parts for sale
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:27 PM   #19
trucks72
trucks72

Someone has added air to that truck. It is hard to see in the picture but there is a hole where either wires or the blend door cable is coming out. That hole is not in the correct spot. On a non air ruck that hole is there. If you take a heater housing off and put a air housing up to it, that hole will show. Not all the hole but about half of it. I have installed a lot of air on trucks. That is the only why you can tell if someone has done that.
trucks72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #20
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Truck on EBay Factory A/C Question

Quote:

The same way we do it now. Mine has factory AC and it's on the SPID but I installed it and did the SPID to add the tilt wheel AC tach dash. It's no biggie.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 01-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #21
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:

I know this is an apples to oranges comparison. But I have found it to be interesting. Years ago a friend and I had two 1970 GTO shells side by side on stands and we got to comparing them. They were both 400 cu, automatic, non AC cars. One was built at the Fremont plant and the other one in Pontiac. Their firewalls were marked different. One had only the necessary holes in it and the other had every conceivable hole in it. So it had the holes for AC and manual transmissions, plus some that we couldn't identify. Our conclusion was two factories designed by different people. One of those things we will never know the answer to.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #22
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Factory AC from a different truck. That's a nice gmc.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #23
Livrat
Member #1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Factory AC from a different truck. That's a nice gmc.
I agree with Pete, To me it looks to have factory AC installed which was taken from another truck.
It does not have the factory 4X4 vacuum pod angle bracket, plus if you look closely at the picture that shows the engine compartment you will notice that the hole in the firewall for the AC/Heat cable does not come through in the factory location.
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:55 PM   #24
duallydude63

arent those Factory a/c outlets on boths side of the dash??? the dealer wont install those ?? rite!!
duallydude63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #25
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallydude63 View Post
arent those Factory a/c outlets on boths side of the dash??? the dealer wont install those ?? rite!!
Andy is confident there were dealers who would.

Even if that's not the case, we don't have an uninterrupted history of this truck since Day 0, so someone else could have done it at some point in its life beside the dealer too.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote