The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
hdixon

C-Notch

Can anyone explain when is it necessary to c-notch the frame when lowering a c10 and is it something that has to be done
hdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #2
72_swb

Re: C-Notch

I lowered mine 7" in the rear. I only have 3-4" of axle travel left. Rides fine but gets a hard bounce on a big bump. So people usually c notch the frame to get a couple more of inches for the axle to move. For a smoother ride.
72_swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:29 PM   #3
hdixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72_swb View Post
I lowered mine 7" in the rear. I only have 3-4" of axle travel left. Rides fine but gets a hard bounce on a big bump. So people usually c notch the frame to get a couple more of inches for the axle to move. For a smoother ride.
let me ask you a few question
1. did you lower your truck yourself
2. how did you take your measurement to know how low you wanted it to be.
3. What lowering kit did you use to drop it 7" in the rear ) I see one on Classic Industies for around 700.00 with all the parts.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:32 PM   #4
72_swb

5" drop springs if I remember correctly. Plus 2 1-/2" drop blocks that we made. You can see the pics on my build thread.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:35 PM   #5
72_swb

Plus I didn't take measurements. I just kept lowering until I got the look I wanted. Cut the front springs until I was happy. Front has drop spindals with ??? Cut springs
Old 01-29-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
hdixon

Quote:
Plus I didn't take measurements. I just kept lowering until I got the look I wanted. Cut the front springs until I was happy. Front has drop spindals with ??? Cut springs
do you have coil springs in the rear or lead springs the kit that I was looking at has shock relocators why would you need to relocate the shock
by the way that is a very nice looking c10 you have I love it
Old 01-30-2017, 03:37 AM   #7
Cooper Restorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdixon View Post
do you have coil springs in the rear or lead springs the kit that I was looking at has shock relocators why would you need to relocate the shock
When you lower the rear of the truck, It positions your shocks in more of a horizontal angle, making them almost useless. By using shock repositioners, you move the shock to a more vertical angle where the shock is more effective. They work very well.
Cooper Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
72_swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdixon View Post
Rear coils. I haven't bought the relocate shock kit. But I'm sure it would help. But it also rides just fine. I cut the rubber bump stops in the rear. You can cut an inch off them to get more axle travel. Without hitting the frame. If you make your own blocks you can take your U bolts to a spring shop. They will make you some new ones that are longer.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:14 AM   #9
James the III

Quote:
Nice truck..

So 5" rear +2.5" blocks
front drop spindles and ? cut coils..

I know this might be asking allot, but any chance of getting a count on the front coils.. We can figure out the amount cut off ,comparing your cut to stockers..
Again nice truck..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:01 AM   #10
72_swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
Nice truck..

So 5" rear +2.5" blocks

I know this might be asking allot, but any chance of getting a count on the front coils.. We can figure out the amount cut off ,comparing your cut to stockers..
Again nice truck..
I think the rear is 5" spring. May be 4". Can't find the ticket. But good thing is once the rear drop springs are in. You can measure how much block you need.

It's hard to explain on the front coil. But at the bottom of the spring that sits in the lower a arm. Seams like there's two loops that touch each other. I think I cut right where they separate. Where the second loop starts rising off the bottom. If that makes any since. But on several other vehicles I learned the hard way. Start with half a loop max if anything. Then start taking off 1/4 or 1/8 at a time. It doesn't take much.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #11
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
Nice truck..

So 5" rear +2.5" blocks

Again nice truck..
That is not a good method to go by for your front coils. Way to many variables can screw things up. How new/old each set of springs are. Thickness of coils make a difference. Original ride height of each set of coils is a huge thing. Spring rate of the two different sets of coils are probably unknown. The list goes on and on.

Cutting to much coil off will give you a bad ride. Best bet is that if you're close to where you want to be, just cut a half coil at a time, but don't think you can go cutting two coils off and still have good performance out of your spring, because you won't