The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
aussiejohn

Steering Column Diagrams

G'day,

I need a detailed drawing of the steering column of (I think!) a 1972 automatic truck. I have a 1967 GMC that has been fitted with a 350 Chev and it had the truck four speed manual box. I have removed the engine and gearbox and fitted a TH700R to the engine. A friend with a 70s model truck that has been converted to RHD has given me the automatic column that came with the truck.

I have stripped the column to the last nut and bolt (along with the original '67 manual column) and am about to reassemble the auto one. I have two different lower bearing supports, not sure which is which. I intend to use the original long steering shaft (collapsible) in the later housing. There is no ignition switch provision on this column. In what year did GMC go to a column ignition switch?

So, I have a pretty good idea of how to put it all together, but would prefer an exploded view drawing of it so that I don't stuff up. Can anyone help please?

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
aussiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Steering Column Diagrams

I think the lower bearing supports are essentially the same, one is machined steel the other is stamped tin.
The later auto columns use the machined one with the separate intermediate steering shaft. I think they both interchange, just test fit it together to see if it works, they are simple to assemble.
On the upper tube, install the plastic bushing first, then the metal washer. Then install the shifter bowl.
The plastic bushing with the rubber piece installs after the shift bowl with the rubber facing the turn signal housing.
Install the die cast aluminum upper support into the turnsignal housing cover, then the turnsignal switch with bolts started a few turns, install the assembly to the upper tube over the 3 tube tabs, turn it a bit right then tighten the bolts, adjust this part to make the shift pointer line up with the proper gear selection.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
randy500
Account Suspended

73 was the first year with the key on the column in trucks
Old 03-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
aussiejohn

Thanks, Randy. I now have a much better idea of how to put it together. I bought a universal shifter kit from Brothers, it was made by CPP, and it has Heim joints and a stainless steel rod, so it should look good when all put together.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 03-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
aussiejohn

Re: Steering Column Diagrams - fibre optic cable.

Another question, re the fibre optic cable, where is the little light positioned to light up the gear position indicator? My column didn't seem to have one, and the F.O. cable was all torn up. Didn't know what it was until I looked on the Brothers website. Now is the time to put a globe in, before assembly.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 03-18-2017, 10:40 PM   #6
randy500
Account Suspended

I think there is a certain place to put that fiber optic bulb but not positive, which one any dash light will work and it will light up the dash in that location and light will travel up the optic to the gear indicator.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:55 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn View Post
Another question, re the fibre optic cable, where is the little light positioned to light up the gear position indicator? My column didn't seem to have one, and the F.O. cable was all torn up. Didn't know what it was until I looked on the Brothers website. Now is the time to put a globe in, before assembly.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
I think there is a certain place to put that fiber optic bulb but not positive, which one any dash light will work and it will light up the dash in that location and light will travel up the optic to the gear indicator.
Looking at the cluster from the back the fiber optic bulb holder would be on the left side of the speedometer.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:01 PM   #8
aussiejohn

Thanks, Doc.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 03-19-2017, 12:05 AM   #9
aussiejohn

Just had a look at my 1967 IP, there appears nowhere for the FO cable to pick up a light. Unless I buy a later IP, I will have to cobble up something.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 03-19-2017, 12:39 AM   #10
randy500
Account Suspended

The end of the fiber optic should have a bulb holder with a metal tab retaining the fiber optic which picks up light, you just replace that holder with the one already in the dash. Are you missing the fiber optic bulb holder?
Old 03-19-2017, 12:43 AM   #11
aussiejohn

Quote:
The end of the fiber optic should have a bulb holder with a metal tab retaining the fiber optic which picks up light, you just replace that holder with the one already in the dash. Are you missing the fiber optic bulb holder?
It would appear so. Bear in mind my 1967 GMC might NOT have had a FO light sender in the dash, as it left the factory as a manual trans vehicle. If you could send me a photo of the backside of the IP that has a FO light sender, then I should be able to work something out.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 03-19-2017, 12:56 AM   #12
randy500
Account Suspended

The instrument panels are all the same. On the back of your instrument panel there are numerous whiteish bulb holders. The fiber optic for the column is just a special type of bulb holder that holds the end of the fiber optic and has a hole in it for light to pass. I will get you a picture...
Old 03-19-2017, 01:05 AM   #13
randy500
Account Suspended

I misspoke, regular bulb holders are black. Cluster shows light hole for fiber optic
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Yes, only the automatics without a tilt column have it. Here is another picture of one (actually two)...... One with the cable and one without.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 03-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #15
aussiejohn

Randy, could you circle the correct hole, just so I don't make a mistake? And LockDoc, thanks for the detailed photos. Looks like I need to buy a special globe/holder, to make mine work.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 03-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #16
randy500
Account Suspended

Its the upper hole that is empty in the picture. To the left of the speedometer looking at the back.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #17
randy500
Account Suspended

The picture is orientated, 90 degrees, fron the front of the cluster the hole is directly above the second lower gauge.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #18
aussiejohn

Quote:
The picture is orientated, 90 degrees, fron the front of the cluster the hole is directly above the second lower gauge.
Thanks, Randy. I was pretty sure that's what you meant. I have that hole, of course, but just have a black globe holder in there. I don't see how to connect the FO cable to it unless I get a fitting like the one in Doc's photo. I have a Brothers catalogue but can't seem to find it in there. I'll call Brothers and speak to them about it, you guys have been more than helpful.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 03-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #19
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn View Post
Thanks, Randy. I was pretty sure that's what you meant. I have that hole, of course, but just have a black globe holder in there. I don't see how to connect the FO cable to it unless I get a fitting like the one in Doc's photo. I have a Brothers catalogue but can't seem to find it in there. I'll call Brothers and speak to them about it, you guys have been more than helpful.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn

You have to replace the black holder with the white one. I don't know if they are reproduced or not. Do you have the fiber optic cable?

LockDoc

-
Old 03-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #20
aussiejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
You have to replace the black holder with the white one. I don't know if they are reproduced or not. Do you have the fiber optic cable?

LockDoc
Doc, yes I do. I noticed that there are two different length metal ends on the cable. It will probably be obvious when I get everything, but can you tell me which end goes where?

Thank you and,

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 03-19-2017, 11:46 PM   #21
randy500
Account Suspended

I think earlier fiber optic cables had the same end on both, later ones 71-2 have a shorter one and the short one plugs into the indicator end.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #22
aussiejohn

Quote:
I think earlier fiber optic cables had the same end on both, later ones 71-2 have a shorter one and the short one plugs into the indicator end.
Thanks Randy.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn