The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2003, 12:02 AM   #1
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

got a few questions for ya

tomorrow because of my truck running funny the last few days i need to do some work to my truck tomorrow.

i think i have a plugged sock on my sending unit and i since i dont have two weeks to wait so checker auto can order one and autojoke dont sell them for my truck im going to take one off of a parts truck i have i know to be in working order and use it.i may have to take the whole tank out of it and swap it into mine since a friend of mine said he thought he saw a slight leak in the one currently in my truck.i know there are two mounting straps and two rubber fuel lines but other than that what is involved in removing a tank i.e how many bolts hold the straps in?also it is mostly empty of fuel in it there may be a small amount in there which i wont re-use since im sure it has the consistency of molasses by now lol.in there any field cleaning ideas to clean out a tank since i only have tomorrow off and dont have another car to drive.
which is easier to rebuild a carter or qjet.ive never rebuilt either and im wondering because i also think my carb is going south and in a hurry.ive got both a carter and qjet laying around and im sure the carter is more expensive rebuild but which is easier and more cost effective to use.i also have a used but in good shape edelbrock intake a friend gave me im going to add to the engine.i may use the qjet if its cheaper for the time being then add the carter later on down the road.
i also have a HEI ill add too yes the truck has points but not for long there getting old too.is there anything i should beside a new coil and module provided there bad if there good ill keep them as is.should i add a new vacuum can for the advance,new weights and springs,new cap and rotor,new wires,etc.
thats about all i can think of for now.any input or advice is welcome and encouraged.thanks in advance

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 01:23 AM   #2
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

IMO, i would spend $90 and get a new gas tank instead of swapping in the old one. A used tank will still be full of crud, and have a limited lifespan. Autozone is about the cheapest place to get a new tank....i helped a friend put on in his '76 C10, and it was about a 2hr job. Just remove the straps, and cut the line that runs from the fuel sending unit to the gas guage (i think it is sodered on the sending unit). You may want to replace the straps too as long as you are under there. Also, the factory used tar paper as a buffer between the gas tank and the gas tank strap, and it would be a good idea to replace that as long as you are down there (any roofing tar paper will work, or rubber strips proably would work too).

The Carter AFB is a dead simple carb.....very easy to rebuild. The Qjet is a excellent carb when working properly, but it is pretty complicated on the inside. I would rebuild the Carter, it should be very easy for a first-time carb rebuilder to rebuild it. The Q-jet isn't impossible, just more time consuming.

On the HEI, it would be a good idea to replace the cap and rotor. Also, the HEI uses different plug wires than points, so they will need to be replaced too. You might as well put in new spark plugs, and gap them at .045" (the gap ideal for points is .035", but HEI will tolerate more of a plug gap)
I would also suggest getting a Crane adjustable vaccum advance kit, it costs about $23 and comes with the adjustable vaccum advance, and new mechanical advance springs. Then you can fine-tune your HEI to your engine. Also, HEI's usually like 10-12 degrees of base timing, whereas points is usually around 4 degrees. You need to advance the timing to 10-12 to fully take advantage of the HEI.

Good luck
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 01:42 AM   #3
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

good idea on the new gas tank problem is i dont have the extra money for a new one...just had to pay off a rather large bill.so that is the reason for using the one in my other truck.it is in good shape all things considered straps included.i have new plug wires that came with the HEI and the cap and rotor that are with it appear to be good but ill look over it when i get home tonite.i may need new plugs as it is so it will be a good excuse to buy them.the timing of it my uncle who will most likely be helping me ill let him set it up so i can learn because he knows way more about mechanics than i do.the carter im pretty sure ill go with it but it also depends on how good a shape the carbs are in as well.thanks for the tips yellow i appreciate it

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote