The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
bodyman922

Big window to small!

What are your thoughts? Have you or anyone ever done this? I know it might sound crazy but I'm from Minnesota so we do have a lot of time to think in the winter months. Anyways I am in the process of fixing up my 1978 GMC 1 ton. When I originally bought the truck it looked good from the outside but upon closer inspection the cab was badly rusted. I was able to located a better cab but it also had rust and the roof was damaged. The reason I got it was the floor was almost rust free which is hard to find in Minnesota.

In comes my Idea!

After doing research I came to the conclusion to just go for it. So I found the back and roof off a 70's C65 and am in the process of putting the two together. I like the look but it does not come without it's challenges. So far what you see is what has been done. On Saturday morning it started out just the two of them and by Sunday night I had everything rough fit and doing more each night as time allows. So let me hear it, what are your thoughts?

Also for those interested you can see the truck in this thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559835
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
bodyman922

Re: Big window to small!

More pics!
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
bodyman922

This is how it sits as of now. More fitting is required for final fitment, but as you can see it fits right at home!
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
hewittca

That's a pretty neat idea. I never realized there was a small window in this generation, even if it was on the big trucks. It will definitely cause those who know to do a double take when they see your truck.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
bodyman922

I actually got the idea from a rendering done in a magazine. The small window cabs were available on the C40, 50, 60, 65, 70 series trucks. If you spend any time in the Heavy Haulers forum there are plenty of pictures across all body styles.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:44 AM   #6
D13

If you look at a raw welded cab that back panel is the same primary stamping, the difference is where the window hole was cut. So everything else should line up nicely. I'm still toying with using my C65 cab to build a drag truck - firewall and front clip mounts are different (it has the SMC nose on it) but the extra space around the window looks like a good place to run cage bars.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #7
Warrens69GMC

but why?
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #8
cooperhw

I like it. Only because it's different, and you made it yours. Your truck, your way, cool.
That said, I actually like the bigger back glass, but, then, it's not my truck.

I did a similar cab clip on a 68 last year on a project called "Meet Homer". Turned out pretty good. I had to clip mine cause there was a great big hole it the roof and back of cab you could walk through into the motorhome.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
bodyman922

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
I like it. Only because it's different, and you made it yours. Your truck, your way, cool.
That said, I actually like the bigger back glass, but, then, it's not my truck.

I did a similar cab clip on a 68 last year on a project called "Meet Homer". Turned out pretty good. I had to clip mine cause there was a great big hole it the roof and back of cab you could walk through into the motorhome.
Thanks for the kind words. I took a quick stroll through your thread and I am quite impressed with the build. You started with the ugly duck and made an awesome rig. For me I am putting a flatbed on my truck just to make it more useful to me. This is going to be my plow/ driver/ workhorse/ all around use truck.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #10
bodyman922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
but why?
In Minnesota clean rust free parts go for a premium unless your lucky. For me I made the decision because my cab was shot and I found one with a clean floor but the roof and back were rusted. Typically these rust out at the rockers, cab corners and continue across the back were they are welded to the floor. My reason for choosing a small back window is it came from a grain truck. Think about it, a truck that only gets used during the summer months isn't going to be facing all the road salt and snow, so they are usually very clean and rust free.

It made sense for me to do it this way versus paying for a clean cab. I found this one about 60 miles from me. If you look close the cab corners have some rust. $1600 dollars for a colorado cab? That's not in my budget! All said and done I will have a rust free cab for just over $300. Paint will be more but I will cross that hurdle when the time comes. https://mankato.craigslist.org/pts/5989055339.html
Here are doors for $450.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/a...049726143.html

When I look through the projects I see quite a few that say they are budget builds, but they are spending thousands of dollars for engines, tranmissions, air suspensions, body panels, etc. I don't have the funding those people do so I have to think about how to get what I want that is affordable to me. Learning how to repair everything I can has given me the knowledge and skills to be able to work on cars with a very limited funding, I have other bills that take priority first. Like cooperhw said it's mine and I'm building it my way.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #11
El Dorado Jim

awesome job, love the small back window, one of a kind trucks are sooo cool..I have that same small window cab on my 74 C65 dump truck, never thought about it on a pickup....love it!!!
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #12
65standard

I did this on my '85. But I liked the earlier style small back window better. Plus I didn't care that the big window outline was still present and recessed.

1953 Chevy 3100 392 Hemi w/727 & 9” Ford
1985 Chevy C/10 6.0L 4L80 373 locker
65standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:59 PM   #13
duallydude63

that will b 1 sweet truck!!! b kool if u could get a slider window!! best of luck
duallydude63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #14
Nick_R_23

Definitely one of a kind, would be awesome paired with a stepside bed like the older body styles.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote