The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
Dave Garon

introduce myself and our project

Hi,
My name is Dave Garon. I'm in the process of building a 56 chevy step side short box to mount on a 2004 chevy 4x4 chassis. I bought the truck in pieces, and has the typical rust and dents of a 60 year old truck. So far, we've got most of the cab panels replaced and the firewall filled. To mock up and make sure everything fit, it's sitting on a 2002 chevy 2WD chassis that was shortened 23.5" to match the 56's wheelbase. The trackwidth is ok, since I only plan on running a 285/75/R16 tire. When its complete, it'll be our daily driver - year round. We already have a 2004 4x4 with a H.O. 5.3, auto.
I'm realizing what most of you have already experienced - the fit on these 5,6,7 trucks is bad, sometimes real bad. I've got some experience in this kind of work, and have most of the same tooling the average hobbyist has. Mig, Tig, stretcher, shrinker, etc. So far. we're making progress, but the front fenders, hood, and front end sheetmetal is rough. It could be worked out, and I'd rather not buy replacement panels. The ones I've bought so far needed a fair amount of reshape to look and fit right.
I've always wanted a 1 piece flip front end. A steel one would be crazy heavy, compared to a fiberglass unit. Has anyone purchased a 1 piece glass front end? Who from? We're you happy with the fit? Any problems mounting the grill or headlight bezels?
Appreciate any help. I'll load a few pics of the project. Maybe someone else has already done a project like this.
Thanks, Dave
Dave Garon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
lynx5653

Re: introduce myself and our project

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like an interesting project, post pics so we can see how you are fitting sheet metal to new chassis.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:07 PM   #3
Leonard60

Sounds like an interesting project like to some pics when you can.
Leonard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:06 PM   #4
dsraven

hi and welcome to the forum. nice to see another Albertan on here.
have you checked the kijiji calgary classic cars? there is a guy north of calgary with some various 55-59 gmc stuff. looks ;like he has some front fenders and box etc. don't know his prices because he didn't send me any when i replied to his ad. maybe worth checking for you.
I installed a one piece fiberglass front end years ago on a square body. not that much fun and lots of bodywork to do because the finish isn't great-wavy. maybe better now.
post up sme pics so we can see what you have to work with.
dennis
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
Dave Garon

Hey Dennis. Whos glass front end did you use? My steel stuff is very workable, but I really like the idea of flipping it forward and getting easy access to the engine compartment.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
dsraven

honestly i can't remember. the fit was ok with some massaging, which i expected, but the finish on the surface was bad. wavy. too much sand and fill etc.
if you have a good front end you could make a flip out of it or, keep the fenders you have and look around for some decent fenders with repair required on the back 1/2. use the poor ones because you gotta cut the back 1/2 off anyway. if you don't like it or it gets too involved-whatever- you can always default back to your good set of fenders with a normal front end.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:12 PM   #7
59chev

Welcome to the forum!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:46 PM   #8
dsraven

try this kijiji ad in calgary classic cars
ad number 1260519887
it comes up as 1963 chevy but has 55-59 stuff in the ad also
good luck
post up some pics
Old 05-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #9
Fitz57

I put my 57 on a 2005 Silverado 4x4 using part of the 57 frame under the cab as a subframe.

I'm 3 years into this project and have a lot of info and pics for you.
Attached Images

Fitz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #10
Fitz57

Pic of the rolling frame
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Fitz..that truck looks great..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #12
Dave Garon

I believe the original chassis is basically flat, vs the newer truck. Looks like you used the cab section of the old chassis to not just locate the cab, but make flatter frame rails? GREAT idea.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:45 PM   #13
Mabrysdad

Did you use ext or reg cab fitz
Mabrysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #14
Fitz57

I used extended cab frame. Cut the welds out where frame clip meets behind ft wheels. Cut off what I didn't need. Slid it back together and rewelded. 99 to 06 K1500 frames have 3 sections. Front clip that has all the front suspension etc. Middle section varies with reg cab, extended and 4 door cab. Rear section could be for 5.5', 6', and 8' bed. These are just my observations and may not 100% correct. Gmupfitters web page is where I get a lot of my info.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #15
Dave Garon

Everyone told me the inner cab corners are just great places to trap mud and snow and quickly rust. I left them out and replaced them with these pieces that fill the floor to the cab. Gussets stiffen the piece. It's welded to the floor and door jam. Seam sealer will fill the gaps where it meets the body.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #16
Dave Garon

Most of the trucks I've seen have beat up rockers. We decided to weld in a piece of 1" square tub (capped both ends). It's plug welded to the bottom flat section of the rocker. Makes for a strong rocker, but another place to trap mud. All new panels have been butt welded, not overlapped to minimize places for moisture to hang out.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2017, 12:09 AM   #17
Dave Garon

Ran into a problem with the lower door hinge mount on both doors. Apparently a common problem? Ended up removing, repairing the crack and then reinforcing the back. Got the idea from a guy on you tube.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2017, 12:16 AM   #18
Dave Garon

These 3 pics have nothing to do with the truck project, but thought guys might be interested in how my time was spent in the shop before the truck build. Totally impractical, but a whole bunch of fun.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #19
Port&PolishMan

Interesting Shot on the Square Box Frame inside a Frame for the Cab .
Set Up like that does that seems that would Isolate the Cab from some of the Harsh Road inputs onto the Suspension ..
Port&PolishMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #20
Dave Garon

So....got busy this weekend with a couple buddies, including my son. Removed body from the 2005 4x4, shortened frame, shortened alluminum driveshaft and fuel lines, and mounted box and cab. Sitting on 4 wheels and tires that are all the same, but not the ones that will end up on the truck when its finished. Now still have to replace the step and surrounding panels. Im considering replacing the front fenders, since the previous repairs on the old ones is a litte rough and full of patches. Ive heard the horror stories about the fit of new fenders, but good reviews on "Golden leaf". They're associated with Dynacorn, just in Canada. Same stamping supplier. Anyone used them? Any comments?
Old 06-15-2017, 02:31 PM   #21
dsraven

holy cow Dave, nice job on the panels. I have missed the progress somehow. post up some pics of your donor, sounds like a great work bee you had going there.
I have been using the keystone parts guys in Calgary. they are the same group as crossCanada parts (they have a branch in Edmonton I think) and can also get dynacorn I believe. so far so good on fitment. like you say, some panels don't fit very good but the ones I got have been ok. the dynacorn repop of the inner cab corner on mine was way outta whack but I wedge cut it and made it work. you just have to figure nothing is going to fit perfect. I have a set of front fenders for mine that are original and they don't fit well either. and don't even mention the stock fitment on the doors.....got some work to do.
here is the info for the keystone/crossCanada guys.

8221 McIntyre Rd NW, Edmonton, AB T6E 5J7
Phone: (780) 448-1901

been working on mine a bit lately. maybe have a dash soon. some cutting and fitting to get the heater and dash pad to work in a narrower space.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #22
dsraven

so, what did you do on sunday then, sit around?
just kidding. lots of work got done for a weekend.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #23
Dave Garon

Cool Re: introduce myself and our project

Thanks for the info. I figure the big shops use Dynacorn stuff, so worth a try. I don't expect a perfect fit, but hopefully not too much re-work. I can't complain about the shops I've bought stuff from in the past, but they all have the same supplier. Worth looking around.
We did have a good weekend. 2 of us had the 05 stripped to the frame in under 2 hours. Mostly because the other guy is super talented and has worked on a bunch of these trucks. Buys them at auctions and then uses the powertrain for his hotrods. And he's got a lot.......
My week was super busy and my queen has plans for me all weekend. Can't complain, since I was only home to sleep last weekend. Work will take up the next couple weeks, so the truck might be lonely for a while
I'll post some updated pics during the week.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #24
dsraven

just a quick note to say you don't really have to use the existing body mounts if they don't line up. make your own, just make sure the body has proper support. I built a subframe under my cab, before I went a different direction with the frame, and was going to use some energy suspension urethane mounts under the body and rad support.
just an idea
Old 06-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #25
Dave Garon

Ya , we didnt us the stock mounts. We built standoffs and adapted the 05 rubbers ans cups. Tough part coming up is how to fit the front rad and support into the old bodywork.