The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
Devil Pup

Transmission Help

Hey Guys. Ill Try to keep this short.

Im building a lifted 69 C20. here's the link if you wanna check it out. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=728388

Doing a 5.3 LS and 4L60E Swap I pulled out of a 2000 Tahoe in the junkyard. The motor starts and runs, seems fine but thats all i know. it has about 200k on it. I wanna run it as is, no mods and hopefully nothing major to repair. I opened the pan on the trans and there was a ton of clutch material in it. So im trying to figure out what to do.

I have thought about building it with my brother BUT we have never done a trans, and we are really strapped for time. This truck is the only thing standing in my way of buying my first house with my Fiance. So trying to get it done which means I dont think well be able to build it ourselves.

I've quoted several shops and the best shop reviews and price I've come by are ProTrans in Riverside CA. they quoted $1200 worst case scenario "maybe better if nothing major is broken" with a one year, 12,000 mile warranty. If i want a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty its an additional $245.00. the owner asked that once the truck is done, i allow them to road test it. Im okay with this.

With that being $1500 it lead me to find this website https://www.bestbuytransmission.com/...FQqDfgode5kPDg
They offer a 5 year warranty for about the same cost but they are re-manufactured. I cant seem to find any info on them and was hoping someone might have experience. .

There is guys building them on EBay like this one.Not a whole lot of reviews but the reviews they do have are positive. components look good though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L65E-4L60E-...RXFvbk&vxp=mtr

the last option I have is a shop called California Transmissions "have excellent reviews" has offered me a deal of $700 cash without warranty because he claims since its a swap i have a higher probability of having electrical issues or just issues in general.

ANY input would be great. I have always had issues with transmissions in this truck before this ls swap and I would like that nightmare to be behind me. I wouldn't mind paying top dollar for a trans but the issue is I still dont know if the motor is gonna have any major issues. I've done the run test but it has not been installed and driven. I know, cheap inst good and good inst cheap but im trying to be budget minded.
Devil Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
knomadd

Re: Transmission Help

Go with whomever you feel most comfortable. I'd personally go with a company that has lots of reviews and a good warranty (read the fine print, some warranties don't cover anything unless it's in the original vehicle). If budget doesn't allow, go with whatever you can afford, but be cautious. A shoddy shop that will sell you a cheap trans may not give you anything worth installing.

Good luck!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
randy500
Account Suspended

So your going to spend about $1500 to fix a problem that you don't even know exists?
Good way to go broke...
What are you out if you just install the transmission and then see if it needs work? Automatic transmission wear and deposit stuff at the bottom of the pan...its the way it works or do you think when it was in the truck before it arrived at the scrap yard they were cruising around in it with a transmission that was bad?

With that kind of swap you have so much money to spend on install parts
So much labor that is crazy and your worried about having a perfect transmission?

Just put it in and sort out stuff.
Your sort out list is longer than my reply.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #4
Devil Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Go with whomever you feel most comfortable. I'd personally go with a company that has lots of reviews and a good warranty (read the fine print, some warranties don't cover anything unless it's in the original vehicle). If budget doesn't allow, go with whatever you can afford, but be cautious. A shoddy shop that will sell you a cheap trans may not give you anything worth installing.

Good luck!
thank you, hoping to come up with something good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
So your going to spend about $1500 to fix a problem that you don't even know exists?
Good way to go broke...
What are you out if you just install the transmission and then see if it needs work? Automatic transmission wear and deposit stuff at the bottom of the pan...its the way it works or do you think when it was in the truck before it arrived at the scrap yard they were cruising around in it with a transmission that was bad?

With that kind of swap you have so much money to spend on install parts
So much labor that is crazy and your worried about having a perfect transmission?

Just put it in and sort out stuff.
Your sort out list is longer than my reply.
Well first, cant help but read the attitude. Simply looking for input/help. When i took the pan off, there was a LOT of metal, clutch looking material in the bottom of the pan. it looked more than normal I admit im not a full blown mechanic, nor am I a transmission guy but it looked to be pretty excessive. I could install it and try to run it but there is a $100 in fluids just to test it out when looking at the pan, signs say its bad. As far as before it hit the junkyard, theres no way of knowing. The motor ran well when i tested it on the stand so it wasn't there because it didn't run. The front end had a small amount of damage but I dont think enough to total it. judging by the pan signs point to the transmission being the reason it went to the yard.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Pup View Post
thank you, hoping to come up with something good.

Well first, cant help but read the attitude. Simply looking for input/help. When i took the pan off, there was a LOT of metal, clutch looking material in the bottom of the pan. it looked more than normal I admit im not a full blown mechanic, nor am I a transmission guy but it looked to be pretty excessive. I could install it and try to run it but there is a $100 in fluids just to test it out when looking at the pan, signs say its bad. As far as before it hit the junkyard, theres no way of knowing. The motor ran well when i tested it on the stand so it wasn't there because it didn't run. The front end had a small amount of damage but I dont think enough to total it. judging by the pan signs point to the transmission being the reason it went to the yard.
Now you may have answered your own question which you should have posed to the mechanics on the board...the symptoms of how the engine and trans appeared in the junk yard.

I agree buy a new transmission (not rebuilt, the price difference is not enough to justify a rebuild). The new car 700r4/4l60, whatever you want to call it usually lasts 100k to 200k, the rebuilds last small fractions of that, parts wear in those that cant be rebuilt.

If I were you I would use the very cheapest trans fluid and the old filter to test the transmission. And since you know the fluid costs $100, you should have just tested the trans by installing it.

You asked for opinions, you got an expert one....
Old 05-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #6
Devil Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Now you may have answered your own question which you should have posed to the mechanics on the board...the symptoms of how the engine and trans appeared in the junk yard.

I agree buy a new transmission (not rebuilt, the price difference is not enough to justify a rebuild). The new car 700r4/4l60, whatever you want to call it usually lasts 100k to 200k, the rebuilds last small fractions of that, parts wear in those that cant be rebuilt.

If I were you I would use the very cheapest trans fluid and the old filter to test the transmission. And since you know the fluid costs $100, you should have just tested the trans by installing it.

You asked for opinions, you got an expert one....
I appreciate the opinion just dont feel you had to have an attitude. none the less, thanks for the input. I couldn't just drop it in and go, they drain the fluids at the yard before they put them out. It does sound like a decent idea non the less to try it with the old filter and cheap fluid to see if I can save the money I suppose.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Pup View Post
I appreciate the opinion just dont feel you had to have an attitude. none the less, thanks for the input. I couldn't just drop it in and go, they drain the fluids at the yard before they put them out. It does sound like a decent idea non the less to try it with the old filter and cheap fluid to see if I can save the money I suppose.
I agree on bit of an attitude...sorry.

Think of this though....
At a minimum you have the following problems to solve and whether you can finish them or not. Also most projects never get finished, I would say the percentage is less than 50% at 5 years down the road. Even drivable at 5 years not just starts and goes in gear.

Engine and trans mounts
Driveshaft
Throttle linkage, fly by wire right? Pedal mount, wiring, fit feel, etc.
Engine management wiring
Fuel system wiring which is usually separate from engine management, at least part of it
High pressure fuel system, you will probably put in a new tank too
Return fuel line
Cooling system configuration for engine to truck, hoses, lines radiator and fans
Power steering pump, both lines need mods for the truck

You have a lot of systems to find buy and install. If you finally got all of them and the trans worked even marginally you would be considered very successful.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
68is4me

Usually a used trans still has some kind of warranty. Might not be much but they usually stand behind them. I would contact the junk yard and find out if it has any warranty 1st. I just looked at car-parts.com and used ones are going for 350-700. All depends on how much you want to spend. You already have the trans could just try it and see if it works. All you will be out is fluid and time.
06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
Devil Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68is4me View Post
Usually a used trans still has some kind of warranty. Might not be much but they usually stand behind them. I would contact the junk yard and find out if it has any warranty 1st. I just looked at car-parts.com and used ones are going for 350-700. All depends on how much you want to spend. You already have the trans could just try it and see if it works. All you will be out is fluid and time.
Im thinking ill try that. And hadn't heard of Car Parts.com. Ill check that out if it turns out bad.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #10
randy500
Account Suspended

And I would just buy a brand new GM trans for whatever the cost is, rebuilds just don't last that long in 4 speed GM autos of the small block variety.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #11
randy500
Account Suspended

New $2400 ish

http://paceperformance.com/i-9892744...bs-torque.html