The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2003, 07:10 PM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

Rebuilding Carter Q-Jet?

Hey everyone!!

I found out why my truck was accelerating and running so badly under pressure - only one of my carb jets is actually squirting any fuel, so I've decided to rebuild the stock carb that was on there, a Carter Q-Jet. I can get the numbers and stuff off it if it helps, but I need to know how to hook my vaccume stuff back together the way it was. I was stupid and didn't take any pictures :S

I also need to know what rebuild kit to get from NAPA as well, and I'll rebuild it tommorow night after I get back from the wrecker.

Last edited by Russell; 10-25-2003 at 07:32 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 08:14 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Take the number off the carb and go the parts store with it. They will give you the right kit for it. You should have an emissions sticker under the hood. It will tell you where everything was hooked up at stock.

Oh, don't forget while you are at NAPA, to get some of the carb dip. It comes in gallon cans. It's not cheap, but it will clean the carb like no ones business. Gas won't work for this.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 08:23 PM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

I started on the old carb with some gas, but that was external stuff... I already have a can of carb cleaner, but I'll grab some of the carb dip stuff then. Hopefully I can get it rebuilt tommorow night so it is ready to roll on Monday morning...
Old 10-25-2003, 11:55 PM   #4
Frank-id

Carb info

There are only a handfull of carbs made for cars.
The factory carb for a GM truck was made by Rochester. The model carb is a Quadrajet. Carter is a company who makes carbs too. They are usually the Carter AFB now produced by Edelbrock. The other big carb maker is Holly.
After removing the carb, wash outside of carb to note all numbers.
A neet Q-jet reference page is...
http://www.carbs.net/quadnumber.htm
There are few vacuum lines to get confused. The length of the hoses and the locations will dictate reconnections.....
Old 10-26-2003, 01:58 AM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Thats the problem, I gave it a bit of a haircut not even thinking about putting this older one back on. Ends up it is infact a Carter AFB - its the exact same as the Edelbrock #1903 (795 cfm)

I got the installation guide from Edelbrock's website, and it has all the info I need. All I need now is some new vaccume lines. The old ones are crap anyways.