The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2003, 01:18 PM   #1
junkyardpartseeker

An update on me

Just to let everyone know. I am doing ok.
I couldn't get any employer to hire me.
I am working right now with my brother in law. He has a lot of old vacant houses and I am helping him restore them. He pays me "under the table" in my wife's name so that the state won't see me with a income and give them another excuse to deny my disability. It's not much, only about $150-$200 a week, and my hours vary. Sometime I go from 10 pm until 3 or 4 am and sometimes I will go in the middle of the day. He just drops the materials off at the place and I go over there when I get the time that day and work at my own pace. He doesn't rush me, or tell me I am taking too many breaks because I have to rest the arm due to the pains in it. He just checks on me every once in a while to see what I have accomplished. ( I think it's more of worrying about me).

I am still looking and helping ppl out, but when I can't either find it, or I am too busy helping him out, I contact chevytruck68 about what the person is looking for.

Chevytruck68 is great on helping out and picking up the slack for me. You should give him a try. He is working on a list of items I gave him from me, and the first box of that list is now enroute to me. I think you all have another great assett to the board (as long as some ppl don't ruin it for him, like they tried to on me. You know who you are!!).

I will pop my head in every once in a while. But not as much as before.

If you still need any assistance on finding a part, you are more than welcome to contact either myself, or chevytruck68.

Thanks for the read.
Have a blessed week.
Tommy Davis
junkyardpartseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 02:17 PM   #2
Prerunner1982

Tommy, glad things are getting better. Sounds like you have a nice deal with your brother in law. may not be much income, but it helps, and you get a chance to get out and do something. Things will only get better from here. Take care of things and good luck!
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 02:28 PM   #3
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

QUOTE; "He doesn't rush me, or tell me I am taking too many breaks because I have to rest the arm due to the pains in it. He just checks on me every once in a while to see what I have accomplished. ( I think it's more of worrying about me)."

Well Tommy it's never a bad thing when people worry about you a little. I work by myself a lot and try to imagine what I might do if something drastic happened. My overall health is not the greatest anymore and may nevr be so again,so I try to remind myself of the poor guy a little while back that had to cut off his own arm with a pocket knife to free himself of a tree that fell on him and still go a 1/2 mile or so after that to get to a phone. SOOOOO be damn careful if you are using an airnailer :>( . And think about yourself when your in the junkyard by yourself !
Remember thats why they call them ACCIDENTS and not ON PURPOSES :>)
Come on gang share your best OH BOY ! WHAT DO I DO NOW with us.
I remember a skinny, good friend of mine having his Mustang come down on him off of jack stands when he popped the driveshaft out. He was in real pain ,especially in the right pelvic area , He felt that he had clearance,but yet somehow could not move either way. After a half hour of screaming someone finally heard him and helped. When they raised the car he went up with it some before falling off and realizing that the reason he couldn't move and had a pain in the pelvic area is because that is where the muffler clamp(threads pointed down) had impailed him.You know ever since that day many years ago ,no matter how much clearnace i have , I always point the threads on a muffler clamp sideways.
Hate to be gorey here but it is almost Halloween and more importantly we all appreciate your help and wish you good health. DAVE
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 03:00 PM   #4
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

i've got one, but its not near as gory. some guy was changing the ujoints on his truck. it was a lifted truck, so he didnt see a need for a jack or jackstands, just crawled under and removed the driveshaft... then watched his truck roll down the hill he had parked it on, and into the woods across the street. can anyone name this member?
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:14 PM   #5
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

... yeah that would suck. I do know who it is, Tim.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:38 PM   #6
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

LOL, VERY GOOD!

and i forgot the whole point of the post...

Tommy, glad you decided to stay. this is another one of those cases where the more the merrier.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 07:42 PM   #7
Russell
Professional Grade

I'm glad to hear it Tommy, I know how much work rennovations are, but it is a good job
Old 10-29-2003, 02:41 AM   #8
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Glad to hear you doing a better Tommy Keep us posted on how the job remodeling is going.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 08:02 AM   #9
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Hey Tommy. Sorry to hear about the job prospects, but at least you found something to tie you over for awhile.

Nice to see you still checking in with us. I knew you wouldn't be able to leave us for long.

Hope everything works out for you. Hang in there bud.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:12 AM   #10
junkyardpartseeker

update

The remodeling part is harder than I ever thought it was. I now have lots of respect for ppl in that field and construction.

At least when I was driving semis, the only thing I had to deal with was the traffic, and a grouchy receiver that got a attitude from another driver earlier that day and wanted to take it out on all the drivers.

I am sore. I think I found muscles I never knew existed

It keeps me busy and my mind occupied. As most probably have figured out already, I have a mental disability where I have to stay busy, or my mind races faster than I can keep up.

The pay is not much, but between it, and my selling parts, and my wife doing flea mkts, it's keeping a roof over our heads and food on the table.

My hours vary, sometimes I will work it in the middle of the nite, and sometimes the middle of the afternoon. Like now, I get to go and look in one of the yards. I will go in about 7 tonite and work til probably about 2am. No electric at these places, so I have to use the kerosene lights to see with. And all the tools I use are the battery types.

I will try to pop my head in when I get a chance to see if anyone needs help. I know chevytruck68 is doing a great job on covering things.

Thanks for all your support.
It has really meant a lot to me.

Tommy Davis
junkyardpartseeker is offline   Reply With Quote