The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2003, 12:30 PM   #1
hank

getting another chevy

finally convinced my girlfriend to ditch her izuzu money pit for something from the General.

she wants a 2wd suburban, but not quite as old as my truck(71 cheyenne). i want to get her something easy enough to work on, but not something i'll be working on all the time. i'm not to familiar with newer models and was wanting some input as i noticed quite a few of y'all these trucks...

what year models are the best?

anything in particular problems that i should look for specifically on these trucks?
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:23 PM   #2
SLT'S 68

Thumbs up

I have a 95 chevy lwb,8 lug ext cab with 248,000 miles, I'm org. owner and had 0 problems, its a throttle body, not vortec, use it for work haulin daily.(don't think you could go wrong with any )
SLT'S 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:59 PM   #3
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

'87-'95 trucks are pretty reliable, and fairly simple to work on for the most part. They have TBI fuel injection...which is virtually an electronic carb. It is much, much simpler than multi-point EFI, although the power and MPG aren't quite as good.

If you like the older body style....get an '87. They have the cool body, but the modern TBI, and also stuff like intermintent windshiled wipers, and usually curise control

My little siter will be old enough to drive in about 2 years....she wants a Chevy so that is what she will proably be getting.....i would love to put her in a '67-72, but they do require pretty high maintence, being 30 years old
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:34 PM   #4
truckster

I'll echo that on the 87-95 Suburbans. There are a lot of them around, too, and the 2wd models don't command outrageous prices like the 4wd models do (at least around here).

But if your girlfriend is used to an Isuzu, the gas pump is going to be quite a shock to her.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:45 PM   #5
hank

you know, those troopers don't do that much better than my truck does...besides , i could fill a fuel tanker with the money she's spent at the shop on that thing.

thanks for the replies so far.

anyone else?
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:50 PM   #6
Hooter
My other Love

Sweet, get rid of that matchbox izuzu!

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:21 PM   #7
oldsub86

I drove a 1986 Chevy Suburban 2WD Silverado for 10 years. It was a 350 with a 4 BBL and a 700R4. I still miss it. The only problems that I had were with the transmission. (Obviously some other stuff like a starter, a re-core on the rad, A/C fixes, a water pump etc.) The only thing that I still gripe about was the transmission. I had it rebuilt at about 120K miles. I don't think it was a competent rebuild however as it was causing trouble again at about 165K miles. I sold it at 183K miles and the motor was as good as new. The only things I had done to the motor itself were valve seals and valve cover gaskets.
I deliberately bought the last year with a carb at the time on the assumption that it would be easier to work on. Never had to work on the motor much so maybe it wouldn't have mattered. TB FI might have provided a little better gas mileage but probably not enough to make it worth worrying about.