The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2003, 01:35 PM   #1
elcidd

Turn signals turn on hazard lights?

Ok, just bought this truck and the hazard light switch is gone from the side of the column. When I turn the either the right or left turn signal on, both flashers come on like when the hazards are on. In the front only, the rear turn signals work ok. Oh yeah, both turn signal indicators on the dash flash like when the hazards are on. Any clues where to start looking?
elcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:26 PM   #2
bpmcgee

I would replace the turn signal switch. It incorporates the hazard switch as well.

My truck had similar behavior when the hazard switch was stuck between on and off.

Not hard to replace if you have a steering wheel puller.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 06:27 PM   #3
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Lightbulb

I had a similar problem like this on my S10 a few weeks ago and it turned out to be a bad lamp.

The front right lamp looked good but the two filliments were touching just enough to create this problem.

So check all the lamps first and if you allready did it then look at them real close again cuz the first time i looked at mine i missed it.

If the lamps are good then replace the flasher unit and be shure to use the correct part number.

The one for the turn sig. and the emergency flashers are differant dont go by what's there now cuz you dont know if it's the right one.

Oh yeah welcome to the board.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 06:32 PM   #4
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I had a car that did the same thing. I eventually found that the parking light was dead on one side and the previous owner had just run 12 volts to it from the light on the other side.

When you turned the headlights on, they both came on. If you flipped one turn signal on with the headlights off, they both flashed. If you turned the other signal on, nothing happened. I figured it got them through inspection because the person who does the inspection only looks at one side at a time to see if the signal flashes.

I thought of this because, as a teen, I once had a car that had a turn signal that wouldn't flash occasionally. It chose not to work one day during an inspection. The inspector said "left signal," but nothing happened when I clicked it on. He said "I said LEFT SIGNAL!" and I hit the emergency flashers. That light flashed a couple of times, so he passed it. He didn't notice that both sides were flashing...

Slonaker