The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2003, 10:11 PM   #1
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Thinking of selling all off...

I am thinking of selling off my truck project. It started out as wanting to rebuild my high school hot rod. But has turned into a money gobbling monster. Nothing is going to be original to the truck when (if) I get it done. Needed a new frame, and cab, the step bed sides will have to be replaced, and the rear fenders too. Both front fenders are bad, and only one of the doors can be saved, but it was one that was replaced before I got the truck. I got a frame, that was powdercoated, and a cab that needs some work. I just don't know what to do. I keep spending money I don't really have on it. Maybe I should get rid of it and wait a while to find one in better shape in a few years. One that doesn't need as much rework. I have no welder, or any bodyworking skills, so I will have to pay someone to do it all for me. It's getting harder to justify the expense. I have a ton of money tied up in it with no end in sight. I will end up going way over the budget I set for myself. Any ideas?

Thanks for letting me wine about my problems.

jmanz69
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:22 PM   #2
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

well...sounds like a problem....
going to needs tons of moola if you can't weld and do body work..
i bought my mig welder for 900.00

BEST THING..i ever bought...

i am to picky to do my body work...i want my stuff to look better than what i could do.....
i do body work the same as drywall mudding....BAD

now might be a great time to learn to weld....

GOOD LUCK...WITH YOUR PROJECT.....
GOT 50.000 IN MY 85....HOPE THAT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:32 PM   #3
Class of 69

I think we all get to feeling like these trucks are a bottomless pit. Are you able to just walk away till next spring?? Maybe some time away from it, and not spending anymore money on it for 6-7 months will give you a new perspective. I don't need mine for transportation, so it doesn't matter to me if it sits, but I know that isn't the case for everyone. I can't do body work worth a sh!t either, so I know how that feels. My experience with looking for another one in a "few" years, turned into 24. Just another perspective. I wish you luck with your decision.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:42 PM   #4
REDWHITE402

I just got the same feeling a week ago and "parked" my 71 Cheyenne. Now its for sale. Im keeping my 72 Cheyenne Super , and once its restored, Ill drive it. I feel your pain
Old 11-17-2003, 11:54 PM   #5
gr8scott51

I feel your pain

I've got way too much invested in my truck (I like to say it's a dart board for hundred dollar bills), and I swear if I ever do another, it's going to be done when I buy it. It'll be a lot cheaper. I'm sorry you've spent more than you can afford already. You won't get your money back out of what you've bought. If you don't have to finish it now, wait a few months until you're not so depressed and re-evaluate your situation, then decide. Good luck in your decision.

Scott
Old 11-17-2003, 11:56 PM   #6
cableguy0

before you sell it and kick yourself in the @ss a few months down the road just dont look at it and let it sit for a few months say till spring u might not feel so bad about spending money on it at that point. and just so you dont feel so bad most people double or triple there original estimate on what it was going to cost by the time all is said and done
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:22 AM   #7
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

It depends on how attached you are to the truck.....my truck needs a ton of body work, but i am really attached to it and proably couldn't live without it, so i am starting out with a rusty body instead of buying a truck with a good body and swapping my excellent drivetrain into it, even though it would save me money.

I say unless you really need the cash now, let it sit for awhile and see how you feel about it. If you still don't want it 2 or 3 months down the road, sell it
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:40 AM   #8
GMC69

If you can, just let it sit there for a few months so you can look at it later.

I bought mine about 6 years ago and for the last 2-3 it has been just sitting there, mind you I was out of town for 2 and now it's winter and my work area is not insulated or heated and I am only homw on the weekend.
BUT it is still there none the less.

You could always wait and see if you can pick up another "parts" truck that has parts you need. Looks like that is what I may do. I need a new cab and possibly a new box. I am no good at body work or welding so the cab will be cheaper for me to buy than fix. The box I can probably fix it.

I guess it depends on what you are planing for the truck too. I have said from the beginning that I just want it to look good and be fairly solid. I plan to use it like a truck and by not spending alot on it I don't mind using it like a truck and not be afraid of getting it scratched.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
1970 Chevy 3/4 ton, 396BB, on air bags
GMC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 01:00 AM   #9
jewels.

agreed --- let it sit --- put it in storage for the winter --- forget about it.... it took me two years before i picked up a wrench back on my little gem.... but just like you, it was my highschool truck... my first vehicle... everyone kicks themselves for getting rid of that sentimental vehicle....

just throw it in storage....
you'll appreciate it more...
heck, i probably have 20-25K in mine, and it only appraises at 8!

jewels.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:50 AM   #10
BtnkBndt
Pennyless Fool

I would check out the junior colleges in your area. The one right down the street from me offers weekend paint & body, welding, auto repair classes. You take your own vehicle to learn with. I've paid to take the courses just so I can use their tools, shop, spray booth, etc. This way you can learn some Bodyworking skills and do it yourself.
BtnkBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 02:15 AM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Jewels...I still think you should have another apraisal done. They underestimated.
I am one of the many who sold (scrapped) his first car and regrets it. A 68 Cougar with a couple rare options on it. (The first one documented with cloth seat inserts as stock..the option code did not exist)
I agree with the rest of them. Put it away for a while.
Maybe you could go and put some of your blood sweat and beers into it without opening your wallet. Labor is cheap when you have tons of spare time. Slap some parts on it, get the cab ready for paint or something...trade some of your (fill in the blank) labor for body work labor with a buddy...or a buddy of a buddy.
It can be done without selling the house or pimping yourself out on friday nights.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 02:42 AM   #12
GMC69

Quote:
Originally posted by Longhorn Man
........house or pimping yourself out on friday nights.

You say that like it's a bad thing, LMFAO

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
1970 Chevy 3/4 ton, 396BB, on air bags
GMC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 03:33 AM   #13
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

Like Longhorn Man, My first car was a 68 Cougar XR-7 with the GT-390 package. I wish I still had that car. Bought it ib '81 for $3600.00. Drove it like I stole it and sold it a year later for $1200.00. Actually, I really wish I wouldn't have beat on the car, and kept it. To this day, I'm still looking for another 68 GT-390 with no luck.....Keep the truck just give it a rest for a while. You don't have to build it to be a show winner to still have fun with it.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:40 AM   #14
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Buy a new truck that needs less major work and use the others for parts.
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:28 AM   #15
Southpa

Jman, the items you listed work out to nearly an entire truck. When I first got my truck my main goal was to just keep it running. Of course, it needed things replaced and fixed along the way but my priority is still to keep it running smoothly and dependably. I have the option to do a full restoration, but I don't see it happening at all. My final main expense and effort will go into painting. I was hoping to get that done last summer but the money and facilities for it is a no-show.

I got 6 grand into my truck and its still not all one color. But I pretty much did all the body work and mechanical myself over the 8 years I've owned it and some areas are going full circle. I know it will never end and I expect that. No idea what its worth, certainly not what I invested, but thats also to be expected. Its nice to have something semi-decent to start with and you have to be able to make that assessment before you even buy the truck. My truck was borderline and I'm lucky to have welding skills. But I even had to skimp on that by stick welding everything, its all I had to work with.

If your goal was to do a total ground up restoration with all the quality show truck doodads, then yeah, I figure you are way over your head. Hell, most people are unless they have a helluva bankroll or are in the business and have all the facilities. The only other option is to take what parts you have, put the truck together and get it running as best you can. Get some use out of it and fix it up along the way.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.

Last edited by Southpa; 11-18-2003 at 06:31 AM.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 07:29 AM   #16
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

if you've had it since high school don't sell it, everyone always talks about the kick a$$ car or truck they had in school.

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:01 PM   #17
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Damned, I have I ever thought that in the past 18 years !!!!

I have so much money in my truck, that I'd really get taken to the cleaners if I got out of it.. ( and you wouldn't know it to look at it) And Every time I look at it, I wonder what I'm doing??
After having it so long, I look at other things (cars/trucks) and say I'd like to play with that body style.... But I keep thinking of the 70 that's still not done, and I sure can't afford two of these bottomless money pits.
Yea, I sure do understand where you're coming from.
Good Luck on your decission, Only you can make it.

Ron
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 02:30 PM   #18
junkyarddog1956

I know what you mean when you talk about the money pit . I do body work for a living and I am still gonna end up with a small fortune in my 69 ... I had to pick the one that had every piece of chrome on it ... gonna cost to trim her out , but when done will be pretty . What I did was found a truck that mine is gonna look like when completed and printed a pic , kinda helps me through the depressed stages , ( don't help my wife though ... lol ... I think a lot of us are in the same boat , NICE cost buck$$ , hope you change your mind on selling it , Hang In There ..... you'll get it done . " Where there is a will ....There is a way " ... jyd
Old 11-18-2003, 02:48 PM   #19
Fleetlover

jmanz

Based on my limited time on this board I would say that most treat their truck projects as a hobby . Although some people turn their hobbies into a money making sideline I suspect most are content just to throw money into their trucks with no expectation of getting it ( all ) back . If you are putting more into it than you can afford it's no longer a hobby it's an addiction\obsession. I border on this myself sometimes . I agree Step back and give yourself some time to reevaluate ( and maybe give the checkbook some time to stop smouldering ) You can't lose any money by waiting a while. Just my HAO George
resto started now suspended
1884 victorian home Current
restoration project
1997 GMC Sierra Z71
1973 Harley FLH undressed
1949 male body somewhat abused
but still starts most mornings
Fleetlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:21 PM   #20
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

I'm kind of torn about whether you should sell it or continue on. It absolutely reminds me of my 70 Mach 1 that took me 10 years to restore it was so far gone. I made it through only because my best friend has a body and paint shop business and he helped a ton. I still spent $26M on it but by damn it's done, paid for, looks & drives great and is mine. Now, I am doing a 72 Chevy truck that is in much better shape but like many others I have thousands in it and it's still apart. But, this will be my daily driver so I will still have much less in it than a new truck and it will stand out on the road and not be lost in the sameness of today's trucks.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:03 PM   #21
chiphayes

yeh,let it sit,i got my 72when i was 15,sold it when i was 25,wanted it back a few years later and the guy wouldnt sell.bought another ,have had it for 12 years and its done,looks great, wins shows.but i would sell it in a second for my old one,in fact i am thinking of selling the one i have now,will probably be sick if i do. good luck
chiphayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 10:26 PM   #22
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I think that we all have that I should not have sold my 1st car thing .. I got burnt out on my 72 which is my 1st car so I bought a 72 blazer that is my daily driver. Only you can make the choice to sell or not, I would put it in storage and once you get the motivation agian pull it outta storage and bust a$$ and make it a b!tchin ride.... Just my 3.5 cent's.

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 10:27 PM   #23
72MARIO

I would part it out or try and sell it as whole. If you dont have the money I would let it go as hard as it would be. Save your money find one that needs less work. I am 18 working full time earning 15 dollars per hour and do not have any expenses besides my long distance phone And I still can't get enough money to finish mine. Save the money you get from your truck money. I would put it in a TRUCK FUND. save till you have more than enough. (Because you can aways spend it) get somthing that needs less work. Just sit down and add up what you need to finish it. I think that would help you decide.

I hope I don't sound like a jerk but that's what I would do.

Later Mario
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 10:29 PM   #24
72MARIO

Opps I just seen that it was your first Truck. Try and put it aside till you have enough money to finish it. Make sure you make a list of everything you will need to finish it. Because I wish someone would have told me that !

Good Luck
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 10:34 PM   #25
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to think about it for a while. I hate to sell it, cuz I know I'll just kick myself afterwards. But I could use the money. I don't need it to drive, it hasn't driven since 1998 anyway. Just wish it wasn't so far gone. The reason I am having so much trouble is that I don't seem to be making any headway. I buy parts and don't ever seem to get it further along. I just want to make it be done, you know. Wish I had a welder, at least then I could go out and attempt to get some of the body work started. Might make me feel like I am getting somewhere. With winter coming, I won't do much with it anyway. No heat in the garage. Oh well. We'll see.

Thanks

jmanz69
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote