The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2003, 09:58 PM   #1
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
6 cyl. power steering pump?

I need some help with the steering on my beater. I don't think I have the correct belt setup and need some help verifying that.

I noticed my belt making noise yesterday and I have noticed it a couple of times in the last month or so but not alot. it has been doing it alot in the last 2 days.
I thought the belt was loose and tightened it.. no good. I noticed that when I turned the wheel and it made the noise, my fan actually stopped turning, this brings me to my questions.

1. Does tranny fluid/power steering fluid thicken in cold weather?

2.Would this be a bad pump?

3. I think I am suppose to have a belt that goes around the fan,alt, ps pump. and a belt that goes alt, fan, right?

I have a single pulley alt. and the ps pump belt is routed around the fan only?

any advice?
Attached Images

Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:59 PM   #2
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
I am leaving and won't be home until saturday afternoon to address this issue. I just wanted to get a head start.

thanks
Attached Images

Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 02:08 PM   #3
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

ttt
Old 12-06-2003, 02:43 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

all oil thickens in cold weatherbut it shouldnt thicken up that much to affect the steering from working unless its waaay below zero where ya are
my trucks all have a belt fromt he fan to the power steering pump and another belt that goes fan crank alternator its pretty well standard on a non air truck.
you all need to make sure your pump is alligned coprrectly so the belt is perfectly straight
if the power steering pump is locking up and the shaft isnt moving then yes the bearing can be going thus causing the pump to be locking up but id think it would sieze and that would be all

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:58 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Looks like your set-up is for 2 belts.If the pump isn't locked up try replacing the belt with a matched set and you will have twice as much belt traction to turn the pump.That should solve the problem if the pump is OK.
A V-belt grips on the sides of the V not in the bottom of the groove.If the belt is worn so that it is contacting the pulley in the bottom of the groove it will not grip enough to transfer the power needed to drive the pump.If you tighten a worn out belt enough to run the accessories this way there will be way too much pressure on the bearings for them to last very long.
Either of these problems could be causing your belt squeal.

BTW your belt looks as if it is far enough down in the groove to be worn.Most belts should be fairly even with the top edge of the pulley diameter when new.Maybe even slightly above.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 12-06-2003 at 05:00 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 01:48 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Anotehr thought, maybe the other belt is loose. If the steering pump is driven off the water pump, and the alt belt goes to teh water pump and crank, then I'll bet your alt belt is slipping.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote