The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
dz1087

Assemble bed, then paint?

Looking for some input on the way to proceed for my project. I got the bed parts delivered yesterday for my 71 rebuild. Old ones were rusting through in way more places than I wanted to repair, so new bedsides, head gate, and floor.

My question is, would it be okay to go ahead and assemble the bed and then paint it? I'm asking because the bed parts are taking up a lot of space in the garage, and I could easily assemble it, and put it in the backyard on jack stands under a tarp until I'm ready to paint the truck. Just wondering if that was a reasonable option, or if I was missing something major by doing that. Parts are new repops with electro coat.

Thanks,
Brad
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #2
MDPotter

Re: Assemble bed, then paint?

I plan on painting mine in pieces. With a steel floor, it's hard to reach everything and there will be panel edges that don't have anything but ecoat on them. If you paint it in pieces, you know that every surface is coated and you can reach it all. It's more work to set up and takes more space, but in my opinion it's the best way.

To reduce the amount space the job takes, you could raptor liner both sides of the floor and set the floor on the truck and then paint everything else.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #3
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087 View Post
Looking for some input on the way to proceed for my project. I got the bed parts delivered yesterday for my 71 rebuild. Old ones were rusting through in way more places than I wanted to repair, so new bedsides, head gate, and floor.

My question is, would it be okay to go ahead and assemble the bed and then paint it? I'm asking because the bed parts are taking up a lot of space in the garage, and I could easily assemble it, and put it in the backyard on jack stands under a tarp until I'm ready to paint the truck. Just wondering if that was a reasonable option, or if I was missing something major by doing that. Parts are new repops with electro coat.

Thanks,
Brad
Completely assemble bed, test fit. Then blow apart and spray everything, then reinstall. IF its not a show room type truck. Assemble and paint together.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:16 PM   #4
LS short box

I had my bed painted while it was all apart. As said above it was easier to get primer and paint in all the small spaces. But having said that if you are painting some color than a solid colors like some type of metal flake I think most body shops would like to shoot it all assembled to make sure it all matched.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:43 PM   #5
mygmctruck1

I had mine sprayed after it was fully assembled . Except with out fender on .
mygmctruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:43 AM   #6
72 tigger

I painted my floor first and then painted the inside assembled. Worked out pretty good
Attached Images

Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:18 PM   #7
dz1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
I painted my floor first and then painted the inside assembled. Worked out pretty good
Was that all edc-coated repop? That’s not a bad idea.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #8
72 tigger

Yes, complete bed kit. Painted the exterior bedsides laying down (helps me with less runs in the clear coat). Then sprayed the inside last
Attached Images

Kirk
Old 01-11-2020, 04:55 AM   #9
my kids toy

At least make sure the head panel fits correctly, my re pop I have to do some trimming for it to fit and widen a few holes, I do not know about the floor as mine was a wood floor so I did not have to fit a steel floor.
my kids toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
Leonard1

Mine was all original Sheetmetal, so a little different situation, but I blasted everything, epoxy each piece, assemble, final paint. That way I knew everything at least had epoxy. If you paint before assembly, how are you going to address the bolts, nuts, washers, etc? Paint each individually? Stainless?
Leonard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #11
dz1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1 View Post
Mine was all original Sheetmetal, so a little different situation, but I blasted everything, epoxy each piece, assemble, final paint. That way I knew everything at least had epoxy. If you paint before assembly, how are you going to address the bolts, nuts, washers, etc? Paint each individually? Stainless?
Yeah, you would just paint over the bolts right?
Old 01-14-2020, 02:14 PM   #12
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1 View Post
I assembled mine, made sure everything fit, took it apart, then epoxy then color, then put it together.

Yes. I painted each bolt and washer individually. I left the nuts unpainted.

Take a 12 inch hunk of 2x4. Drill evenly spaced holes in two rows. I dipped the carriage bolt heads in epoxy, stood them up in the block of wood, then sprayed them when I had color mixed up for one of the other pieces.

Then get a REALLY trusted friend, tape possible points where you might rub your new paint, then re-assemble.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
dz1087

Kirk, did you paint your bed sides at a different time than the cab? If so, any trouble with color matching?
Old 01-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #14
MDPotter

I should have addressed this in my first reply - but if it's a metallic color you definitely need to paint it assembled, along with the rest of the truck so it all matches.

And buy stainless hardware or paint the hardware prior to install if it's not stainless.

I like Leonard's post too - if you epoxy everything separately, then you have a waterproof coating and can assemble it and then paint it all at once and not worry about the edges and flanges that don't have paint on them.

This is how I'm doing mine:
-4 coats SPI epoxy to underside of floor and tubs
-Raptor liner to topside of floor
-Paint the sides, tailgate, front panel, tubs, and skirts separately (since mine is a solid color)
-Bed assembly using stainless hardware
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #15
72 tigger

Like MD said, since it was a solid color l wasn’t concerned about matching. I wouldn’t be afraid to paint the inside of the bed at a different time, l think it would be tough to see a difference since its not directly beside the exterior
Attached Images

Kirk
Old 01-16-2020, 11:11 AM   #16
dz1087

Thanks for the pointer there. I'm doing a metallic color, so this will be important.

You are raptor lining your floor, and painting the sides and wells? I was thinking of getting a rubber mat, but this would keep more rust out. Any pics of this out there?

So, if I epoxied the parts separately, after fitting them all, I could assemble and then paint? Should I epoxy my bolts prior to paint to help with rust prevention this way? (epoxy, assemble, paint with hardware installed, minus the tailgate hardware)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPotter View Post
I should have addressed this in my first reply - but if it's a metallic color you definitely need to paint it assembled, along with the rest of the truck so it all matches.

And buy stainless hardware or paint the hardware prior to install if it's not stainless.

I like Leonard's post too - if you epoxy everything separately, then you have a waterproof coating and can assemble it and then paint it all at once and not worry about the edges and flanges that don't have paint on them.

This is how I'm doing mine:
-4 coats SPI epoxy to underside of floor and tubs
-Raptor liner to topside of floor
-Paint the sides, tailgate, front panel, tubs, and skirts separately (since mine is a solid color)
-Bed assembly using stainless hardware
Old 01-13-2020, 12:53 PM   #17
twotrucks

Question for those that paint pieces separately then assemble, Do you weld the bed side to the floor like factory?
twotrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:01 PM   #18

Since most of your parts are new consider putting the bed together first. This will make sure that all holes line up. U dont want 2 paint it then assemble only to find out u need 2 file some holes to make the bolts fit right. The bed sides may need 2 b moved 2 get the square with the floor. Again, u want 2 do all that after paint? I wouldn't. Once all that has been checked out then take it apart and paint. Takes the guess work and head ache out later.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:24 AM   #19
lousyflyer

What many people don't understand about primer(s) is that for the most part, they provide little protection from corrosion unless they are topcoated with paint. The purpose of the primer is to give the topcoat something to adhere to, thus effectively sealing the metal from the elements.

If you fasten two primed pieces of metal together, you are creating a rust pocket. I say assemble for a fit check, break it down and at least paint the mating surfaces before final assembly. With today's epoxy primers this is not as critical.

E- primer prep for painting? Lightly sand(it off)
lousyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:03 AM   #20
twotrucks

Do you weld bed side to floor sill at rear?
twotrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #21
72 tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotrucks View Post
Do you weld bed side to floor sill at rear?
I didn’t, one of the negatives of doing the way I did
Kirk
Old 01-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #22
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
I didn’t, one of the negatives of doing the way I did
I did not replicate that factory weld either.
I'm guessing that was used to help assemble beds going down the line. In the two years since I've completed the project I've observed nothing bad happening without that spot weld on each side.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #23
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
I did not replicate that factory weld either.
I'm guessing that was used to help assemble beds going down the line. In the two years since I've completed the project I've observed nothing bad happening without that spot weld on each side.
It was to keep the bedsides square at the tailgate opening over the life of the vehicle.

If you are not going to put 100k miles on your restored truck then you should be ok.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #24
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087 View Post
Assemble bed, then paint?
That's how the assembly plant did it in the first place; one per minute.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:11 AM   #25
dz1087

Kinda figured they did to save time. Mine was so rusted I had no way of telling if there was ever paint in those areas or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
That's how the assembly plant did it in the first place; one per minute.

K