The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2003, 07:47 PM   #1
cranknut67
Account Suspended

ball joints - ??????

I recently installed new disk brakes in the '67 and I have had some residual problems - 1 the balljoints needed to be changed so I went down and got the " right" ones. well I got the wrong ones and they turned out to be about 1/2 " too short to put the set pin in. well, after installing them one of them stripped from the weight and dropped the a arm - back to the drawing board. I went and got the 73' versions and they fit perfect, except now, I am getting a clicking noise coming from the drivers side - and it's a loud noise when I rock the truck up and down. what could be wrong? I believe they are the right balljoint and they have seated right and all, but that clicking noise makes me super nervous.. It was the same noise I heard when the other wrong balljoint fell out and droppen the A arm to the ground but the crown bolt and the set pin feel to be tight and not moving - no excessive play in the front end at all - it even drives like a new truck..... should I be worried?
cranknut67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:32 PM   #2
walker

Worried? I would be. I would probobly get a spring compressor and compress the spring. Then you can work the control arms manualy. I suppose it could be other things but the things that come to mind are; a different taper on the ball joints than the spindle, an unseated taper, a bad ball joint, a loose control arm bushing, an unseated coil spring, a ball joint not fully seated against the a-arm, loose wheel bearing, loose shock absorber.
You might get your head down there and have somebody jump up and down on the bumper so you can see/feel/hear where the sound is coming from. Take the shock off the lower control arm first so it doesn't dampen the motion/sound.
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote