The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2020, 07:37 PM   #1
conoco

Edelbrock AVS2 Install

So, I went ahead and bought the Edelbrock AVS2 650 for my 72 k2500. I had a holley before and never could tune it quite right. I read a lot of good stuff about the AVS and searched for a couple weeks going back and forth between edelbrock and holley. I have no issues with holley, they are fit for purpose.

The AVS has completely changed my truck though. I moved into my new house last month and my 72 was the work horse of that move. We left the city and headed to the mountains. I thought my truck did great and ran strong, however after driving with the AVS the last week all I can think about is how much easier driving up that mountain would have been if it were running like it is now. I do have some upgrades so I am sure those help. Since I was going with a new carb a went ahaead and upgraded to all new braided fuel lines and a fuel pressure gauge and also installed a return line back to my tank.I also installed a new braided throttle cable which is awesome although I did have to cut to length but was well worth it and a 1" spacer ( I had to go aluminum but will replace with the wood composite later). I just purchased the calibration kit for the AVS and it will be fun to see how much better it will run when I start playing with the jets.

It was pretty much a plug and play for my truck. I messed with my timing and have 37 total advanced now which seems to be the sweet spot for my truck, it took a little bit to figure out the setting for the idle mixture screws and high idle. I am in Alaska and I like the high idle at around 1500rpms. It is parked in a garage all winter but when I do drive it and it sits outside for a while I just like the higher RPM to warm up. It drops down to 700 in gear which is perfect. I have seen mild fuel mileage gain if I can stay off the throttle. ( Big if LOL)

Anyway I just though I would give my review if anyone is thinking about a new carb. I spent a month researching for what my needs were and I could not be happier. I will update once I change the jets out and dial it in.
Attached Images

conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Edelbrock AVS2 Install

You should get a better air cleaner.
Those ones are known as ‘fire starters’ if you get a little back fire.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:52 PM   #3
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
You should get a better air cleaner.
Those ones are known as ‘fire starters’ if you get a little back fire.
Good Looking out! I will put the 14 inch back on. I got this because it was on sale at Autozone, I have put about 50 miles through it. I will take it off for sure. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:01 PM   #4
geezer#99

We gotta keep your little mechanics helper safe!
They do make oval cleaners that can match your valve covers.
Like this.

https://www.cfrperformance.com/CHEVY...6020-3-pbk.htm
Old 09-04-2020, 08:05 PM   #5
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
We gotta keep your little mechanics helper safe!
They do make oval cleaners that can match your valve covers.
Like this.

https://www.cfrperformance.com/CHEVY...6020-3-pbk.htm
I tell you what he just turned 2 and for the last year every time he throws a fit I put him in that truck. He just hangs on to the steering wheel and has a blast!

Thanks for the link!
Old 09-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #6
geezer#99

You gotta start them early so they catch the fever like we did!
A guy I know down island has several fast rides in his garage.
His 4 year old has his own tool box and a creeper so he can easily roll under the car to help his dad.
Good times!