The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
dragn91

transit wheels on a 67

Just picked up two sets of transit wheels I love them. I have a very crusty 67 short step I want to put these wheels on. I would like to use spacers on the factory drum brakes for now then eventually swap the front to disc. I know the 67-68 rears are narrower does anyone know exactly what size spacers I need to run these wheels on a stepside truck. I'm getting tires mounted tomorrow but the rear lugs are completely rusted so I'd like to just cut them off to get the ralley's off and have everything I need on hand to put these wheels on when I do.
dragn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:21 AM   #2
ChevyRacefan

Re: transit wheels on a 67

For those not in the "know"
What are transit wheels?
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
biketopia

Transit wheels are 22x9 wheels that GM uses when transporting newer 1500 trucks and SUV's with high-end wheels they don't want damaged or possibly stolen off a transporter or from a rail yard. They are 6 lug and can be had for decent money with tires for a nice custom look, without the huge price tag of custom 22" wheels.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
Transit wheels are 22x9 wheels that GM uses when transporting newer 1500 trucks and SUV's with high-end wheels they don't want damaged or possibly stolen off a transporter or from a rail yard. They are 6 lug and can be had for decent money with tires for a nice custom look, without the huge price tag of custom 22" wheels.
Got it.
Because they are only designed for shipping, are they dot legal, I would assume The bean counters would force them to make them with as thin of metal that was able to hold the vehicle up while shipping. and not need to worry about turning forces.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #5
sick472

The few transit wheels I have seen are stamped with "DOT", but that is all I can say about that. I would definitely check with the DOT office and verify that their stamping means that they ARE approved for road use. I can not help but think that these wheels must be good for road use, otherwise the car/truck manufacturers could be liable for those of us you actually get their hands on some and put them to use...worth double checking IMO.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote