The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2003, 07:07 PM   #1
Clancy68

removing ingnition switch w/out key

Right now i am pulling everything out of my cab, so i can go in a primer everything. ive gotten most of the other stuff out, but i can't figure out how to remove the ingnition assembly. it looks to me like i need to get the lock core out and them spin the outer chrome bezzle off. maybe? thanks.

--Scott
Clancy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 08:00 PM   #2
Pardue'sCustoms
Account Suspended

put your key in it and turn it towards the sterring wheel and take a stiff little wire and put it in the little hole and push it in and it will let it come out you will have to tug on it a little bit and if you lost your kry then the best thing to use is a dent puller

Last edited by Pardue'sCustoms; 12-21-2003 at 08:03 PM.
Pardue'sCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 08:05 PM   #3
70c10
67-72 Addict!

I used a heavy duty paper clip and turned it to the left all the way to the ACC position. You do have to tug on it. The bezel is tricky to remove without the special removal tool. I used a flat screwdriver (don't recommend) and tapped lightly until it started to unthread itself. I would spend the few dollars and get a GM bezel removal tool.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 08:16 PM   #4
J.Lance
Too many is never enough!

ignition removal

Since you specified removal without a key, I'll share how I was told to do it but haven't actually tried it yet. There is a thin metal cover over the cylinder. I was told that this is actually what prevents you from unscrewing the bezel without removing the cylinder. I think you can either pry it off or use a slide hammer and a screw to pop it off and then unscrew the bezel.

A couple of years ago I actually drilled a lock cylinder to get it out. Big pain in the a$$ and ignition was trashed. Hope this works. Let me know if it does.

Jason

1968 K10 SWB Fleetside
1971 K2500 GMC LWB
1968 K20 (later frame, donor body)
1972 C20 LWB parts truck
1993 K2500 Suburban, tow rig, 454, 4L80E
NEW!! 18' Siem's car hauler
2004 Honda Odyssey (family man!)
J.Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 09:02 PM   #5
Terry S

I've taken several of these apart, and without the key, I've never been able to take one apart without destroying the cylinder, although the slide hammer dent puller method is pretty satisfying after you've fought it for a few hours trying everything else.

These trucks had the same key for the door and ignition, so if you've got the door panels off, I would suggest pulling one of the door lock cylinders out and taking it to a locksmith. They can make you a new key that should allow you to use the paper clip method already described. If you take the door lock cylinder in rather than having them make a house call it shouldn't cost more than about 8 bucks, which is cheaper than buying a new ignition after you destroy this one trying to pry it out.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:43 PM   #6
Clancy68

thanks guys. the bezle and ignition were expendable. so what i did was unscrew the chrome bezle as much as i could, then i took a punch and gave it a few wraps until it came apart... i already have a new ignition core with keys, and about 3 other good bezle assemblies. but for the future i will keep that in mind.

--Scott
Clancy68 is offline   Reply With Quote