The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2003, 06:35 PM   #1
Alvin
Never Done?

Looking for adivice on an air compressor

Finally have money to go buy an air compressor and since I have no idea what to look for, thought I'd ask you guys. I'm looking at tank sizes from 20-30 gallon, and mainly 6hp motors. I'm planning on doing some sand blasting, some die grinder work, and some painting with it. Mostly chassis work, not body panels. Any recommendation on which brand to buy? Looked at craftsman and campbell-hausfield or whatever. Also have a coleman at work. Thanks for any feedback.

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:40 PM   #2
Steven Sellers

I dont know the answer but I am interested in this also
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee(wifes/wrecked)
1977 DJ5 postal jeep(mmm lots of fun)
1988 Toyota 2wd p/u(DD, blewup 199,000)
1991 Toyota 2ed p/u (sry just cant break these things)
1997 XR70 Honda
1991 Z50(FOR SALE)
1972 Z50 Honda
1970 SWB 350/knucklebuster "The adventure begins and I am confident that there will be no end".
Steven Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:45 PM   #3
oldsub86

Bigger is better - esp if you plan to blast, paint etc. A larger tank takes longer to pump up but provides more volume of air. I would try to go to at least a 60 gallon tank. Also, I would say that the cast iron compressor units should be better than the aluminum ones in terms of longevity. Maybe look for a used one if the new ones are too pricey. I am running a big old deVilbiss that was made in 1947. I replaced the tank as I was a bit uncertain about the rust issue but I wonder if I really needed to. I maybe should have made a bigger effort to get it tested as a lot of the older stuff is better made than the new stuff. I have an 80 gallon tank now and when I sand blast it runs a lot.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:58 PM   #4
danho
Pesemistic Optimist

In my opinion a 20-30 gallon tank will not be big enough for what you want to do. 60 to 80 would be the way to go. Something that will put out the CFM that blasting and high consumption air tools require. Do some research now so you won't be dissappointed later.
http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=C1

Dan.
danho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:19 PM   #5
J.Lance
Too many is never enough!

tank size

Definitely shoot for a bigger tank. I have a 60 gal. single stage 240V and it doesn't keep up when I'm blasting (pressure pot) but does good with the HVLP. A 30 gal will even have a hard time with a die grinder if you're using it a lot. A D/A will completely run it out and I'm not sure if I'd even try a siphon blaster. First step is to check the air consumption of the tools you'll be running most often and then match that up to the appropriate output of the compressors you're looking at. If I had it to do over again I would have opted for a dual stage 80 gal. with output around 15cfm or more. I'll get by for now but the next time I'll know to spend the extra bones. FYI, a dual stage will typically run you twice as much as a comparably sized single stage or oil less. Also, be aware that an oil less compressor is noisier and some say less reliable than a oil lubed pump and motor. Good luck!

1968 K10 SWB Fleetside
1971 K2500 GMC LWB
1968 K20 (later frame, donor body)
1972 C20 LWB parts truck
1993 K2500 Suburban, tow rig, 454, 4L80E
NEW!! 18' Siem's car hauler
2004 Honda Odyssey (family man!)
J.Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:22 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i have a speedaire compressor for my air tools and im not all that impressed. at work we had craftsman ones that were an awful lot better . the craftsman ones also dont seemt o run as hot

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:42 PM   #7
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Craftsman oiless = very loud!

I have a 30 gallon/6HP? Craftsman that works very well, but isn't big enough for what I want it to do. It'll operate a siphon feed sandblaster, but it runs constantly. It won't operate a DA for more than about 10 seconds. Die grinder works okay, but the compressor runs constantly. I've had no problems spraying paint with it. I've abused that poor compressor and it's still running strong. I'm not sure what the duty cycle is on the motor, but I'm sure I've exceeded it considerably and it's still kickin'. For simple tasks like inflating tires, operating an impact wrench, blow gun, etc., it would be more that sufficient.

So I’d say if you can find one that’ll operate a DA with no problems, it’ll probably do most everything else.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:44 PM   #8
Ackattack

I bought a 60 gal. 6-7 HP (don't remember now) 220v Husky compressor from Home Depot in August. It is oil lubed, and has worked flawlessly. Kept up easily when I sprayed in my bed liner.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:54 PM   #9
Alvin
Never Done?

Well, it's not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but I'd rather not spend my money and wind up being disappointed with it. I'm thinking I'll hafta hold off on doing the blasting and painting jobs till later. We do have an old dual stage compressor, but I have no idea what kinda shape it is in (hasn't been used in at least 21 years). Thanks again for the feedback, I appreciate the quick responses!

Ethel has been sold.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:32 PM   #10
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I have an 80 gallon 2 stage DeVillbiss.

I can paint a whole car and it will only cycle on 4 or 5 times for the whole job. HVLP gun

Using a D/A, it will run constantly.

Die grinder it will run say 60% of the time.

My bead blast cabinet it will run pretty much constantly and will shut off about 5-10 seconds after you release the trigger on the blaster.

It's big enough for pretty much everything I guess. If you get tired of it running, just stop using it for a few seconds and it will fill up and shut off.

I absolutely would not even consider anything smaller than a 60 gallon. 80 gallon is better. I got mine at Lowes for 720 bucks 4 years ago.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:40 PM   #11
Bernie

I got a Quincy from Harbor Freight a few years ago. I think they must have been changing models. It cost $900 or so with free shipping and is 60 gal two stage with 175 psi max. It's great ! I had a smaller one but there's no comparison.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:35 PM   #12
walker

Stay away from the direct drive models and choose one with a belt drive. I have used a 3.5 horse model for die grinders and done blasting with a small blast cabinet and it works fine. During heavy blasting I have had to stop from time to time for it to catch up. Also, try to get one with a 175psi operating pressure, as that extra 50psi is a lot of air. I also have a 12 horse gas compressor with the 175psi on it and can tell you that high pressure and big tank do make a big difference. Smaller units are easy to store, very portable, usually operate on 115v at 15 amps, so can go with you to your buddy's house for special projects or whatever.
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 10:42 PM   #13
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

I have a Ingersol Rand 2 stage T-30. It is a excellent compressor. 24 cfm working pressure.
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 10:42 PM   #14
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

Below is a site with some good compressor info.
I got my compressor (60 gal. 5hp 2-stage) from them. I'm really happy with it.
Eaton Compressor & Fabrication

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 11:02 PM   #15
ckhd

I only have one brand I would consider. Ingersol Rand. Why? I have a 1939 compressor that gets used on a daily basis. I even let my brother run his air chisels with it. That sucker goes and goes and goes. I just make sure it has good oil in it, change it now and then, and I don't have to worry about it.

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 12:32 AM   #16
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

My uncle had an old Curtiss, and the compressor went bad. That thing was built in the late 20's. So, he put a compressor on it that came off of a C-60 Chevy truck (air brakes, you know). It ran anything he had to use air to run.

Watch the SCFM rating on whatever you buy. Look at the tools you'll be using. You want to be sure that the SCFM rating is sufficient to run the tool or attachment that is the most demanding. Sand Blasters, are notorious. I spend some time looking at a Grainger's catalog. They had a nice chart showing the ratings and needs for air tools.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 12:51 AM   #17
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I worked for a few years at the Coleman Powermate plant. They build them 15 miles from my house. As of now, the tanks and pumps are built right there, not asian junk. The aluminum pumps are fine, they have cast iron sleeves and cool better than cast iron blocks. You should be fine with a 60 gal. Don't even concern yourself with HP ratings, they're all bogus. If you see a line by the same MFG and they have different HP ratings, just check the part number on the motor, I'll bet they are all the same. They just change pully sizes, etc. Just look at the CFM ratings, the higher the better.

Coleman also makes a 40 gal upright portable. It's belt drive but has a slightly lower cfm output, but might be what your looking for. Most of the other responses are also very good info. For blasting and sanding you need the most air you can afford.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 12:52 AM   #18
Stroker

Quote:
We do have an old dual stage compressor, but I have no idea what kinda shape it is in (hasn't been used in at least 21 years). Thanks again for the feedback, I appreciate the quick responses!
Take a look at what you already have. Some of the old stuff was BUILT TO LAST!! Give it a good going over and make sure the tank, lines, and wiring are safe. Don't underestimate the energy that a tank of air can have if it ruptures. Spending a hundred or two on the old compressor might very well give you the best bang for the buck. Good Luck...Stroker
Old 12-30-2003, 01:11 AM   #19
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

on ebay
Old 12-30-2003, 01:23 AM   #20
Alvin
Never Done?

Here's what I'm dealing with:

It is a curtis 3hp air compressor, dual stage. That's about all i know. If anybody wants to guess at the tank size, I put the basketball there for size reference:

What do you think I should do?

Ethel has been sold.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:44 AM   #21
oldsub86

If the compressor appears to be good, I would clean it up and buy a new tank to put it on. If the motor runs, it probably only needs to be cleaned up and possibly some new bearings.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:08 AM   #22
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alvin
Here's what I'm dealing with:

It is a curtis 3hp air compressor, dual stage. That's about all i know. If anybody wants to guess at the tank size, I put the basketball there for size reference:

What do you think I should do?
If it can be used safely......use it.

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 03:46 AM   #23
Alvin
Never Done?

I turned the compressor over by hand and it seems to turn pretty easily. It still pumps air too. Guessing off of some web sites I saw, it should be approx. 60 gallon tank on it right now. I did some searching on eBay and found an 80 gallon tank (from 2000) that appears to be a pretty good deal, gonna try to win it, and swap everything over. I'll worry about re-habbing the motor or buying a new one later on. If I can't get a good tank, the motor won't matter. Thanks for the help guys!

Ethel has been sold.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:01 AM   #24
dinnut

with some cleaning that thing will probably clean up very nice!
i didnt realize youve been a member since 2000. thats a long time!
Old 12-30-2003, 04:22 AM   #25
Alvin
Never Done?

Yeah, I've stayed pretty quite most of the time (this is post 226), but now that I'm up to my ears in my truck project, and now this air compressor, I've got a bunch of questions to ask!

Ethel has been sold.