The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2022, 07:39 PM   #1
crossfire84

Hemi in a square body

1973-1987 C10 2WD Gen III Hemi Swap System

The Dodge Hellcat engine is a beast of a powerplant that gearheads love, regardless of what brand you’re loyal to. Holley now makes it easy to install a Hellcat (or other Gen III) Hemi into your Squarebody pickup.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 08:20 PM   #2
Tom
driving is in my blood

Re: Hemi in a square body

Nope, don't love the powerplant and have no need for a dodge in my chevy.
If we wanted oem power and to spend big bucks, why wouldn't we swap an LT5 in?
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:27 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

As long as you're swapping and modifying why not build a hellacious cat of a GM engine? Dodge has always been keen on giving creative names to their products that work to lure in those so easily lured. GM just builds great stuff that earns it's own great reputation and popularity.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #4
whitedog76

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
As long as you're swapping and modifying why not build a hellacious cat of a GM engine? Dodge has always been keen on giving creative names to their products that work to lure in those so easily lured. GM just builds great stuff that earns it's own great reputation and popularity.
I'm going to have to agree on this one. The GM LS platform has more than proven itself of the last 20+ years.

How does the "Hellcat" compare to let's say a, ZL1?
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:04 PM   #5
crossfire84

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
I'm going to have to agree on this one. The GM LS platform has more than proven itself of the last 20+ years.

How does the "Hellcat" compare to let's say a, ZL1?
i think this sums it up!
Attached Images

C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Old 03-05-2022, 04:18 PM   #6
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire84 View Post
i think this sums it up!
I guess that depends on how you ask

List Of Top 5 Fastest Cars In The World
Here’s the list of the latest fastest cars in the world. This list includes 4 different supercar manufacturers with Model names and the top speed.

Model Top speed
Hennessey Venom GT 270.4 mph
Koenigsegg Agera RS 277.8 mph
SSC Tuatara 300 mph (claimed)
Hennessey Venom F5 301 mph
Bugatti Chiron Modified 304.77 mph

Link: https://throttlebias.com/features/fa...-in-the-world/
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:32 PM   #7
whitedog76

Quote:
i think this sums it up!

I will disagree.

http://www.dragtimes.com/blog/tesla-...ld-record-pass
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2022, 10:07 PM   #8
Ziegelsteinfaust

While the Hemi is a good power plant. It is nothing special or nothing a 6.0 can not be built into.

The only thing they have over the 6.0 is the variable runner intake which according to engine masters seems to offer alot. But the LT series has direct injection.

If some one gave me one for free or excessively cheap. Yes I would swap one into my C10.

Other then that it is not that great looking of a engine or able to be made visually impressive enough. Say like a 426 Hemi. For me to overcome my preferences for a Ford in a Ford or Chevy in a Chevy.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:52 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Aren't people putting Hellcats in Dodge trucks? Let's start there

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-04-2022, 11:28 PM   #10
cwcarpenter98

Holley recently came out with a Hemi swap kit for the first gen Dakotas. I'm sure there's already people putting Hellcat engines in them

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 03:03 PM   #11
Axle

I'll call it cool. Do something different just for the sake of being different and pissing off the purists. In the end, its somebody working on a vehicle and making it what they want, off-brand engine swap, slamming it, whatever floats your boat. I don't have to like it, but I have to give somebody props for doing it.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 03:21 PM   #12
Boog
laying low

Hey, if I can put an Olds and Buicks in Ford trucks why not a Hemi in a Chevy? As a matter of fact one of our forum members has a Hemi in his 67-72 Chevy truck. On the other hand, how bout LT'ing a Dodge truck? Maybe an SRTLT8.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 03:35 PM   #13
crossfire84

I for one think it’s great, isn’t this how the hot rod history began? Use what you have access to. I am so over the let’s put an ls any thing with wheels. Now don’t get me wrong the ls is a great engine , but so is the hemi .
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Old 03-05-2022, 03:54 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

You don't have to be a purist to not like this idea. I don't think many have a Hemi laying around. And that's not how hot rodding got started. That's how just keep it going got started. Hot rodding got started by putting newer more powerful engines in old cars that couldn't keep up with the speed limits as roads got better. That and the need for speed, as in racing. I'm not getting tired of seeing LSs put in anything. In fact, I still like seeing small block Chevys put in anything with wheels. I don't care what other people do, but I'll never follow them.

Tim

Old 03-05-2022, 04:16 PM   #15
crossfire84

Quote:
You don't have to be a purist to not like this idea. I don't think many have a Hemi laying around. And that's not how hot rodding got started. That's how just keep it going got started. Hot rodding got started by putting newer more powerful engines in old cars that couldn't keep up with the speed limits as roads got better. That and the need for speed, as in racing. I'm not getting tired of seeing LSs put in anything. In fact, I still like seeing small block Chevys put in anything with wheels. I don't care what other people do, but I'll never follow them.
well your wrong on the hot rodding point.
this is from hemmings motor news.The fundamental nature of hot-rodding has always been a reworking of old parts into something newer and faster. Hot-rodding as a philosophy of building vehicles has existed since before World War I.The earliest efforts of the pioneers who created the automobile strongly resemble hot-rodding, but because they weren't working from used, mass-produced parts, they don't quite Ť t the mold.Only when the moving assembly line permitted Ford to crank out Model T's in previously unheard-of numbers and at prices so low it brought motoring to the masses, did the major ingredient of hot-rodding come to be. Once those affordable new Fords became cheap used cars, the stage was set for the first era of hot-rodding.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Old 03-05-2022, 04:21 PM   #16
crossfire84

you are correct, i should of stated in the 1/4 mile, this is what hellcat lays claim to by dodge.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Old 03-05-2022, 06:45 PM   #17
crossfire84

That is crazy cool!
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Old 03-05-2022, 07:03 PM   #18
whitedog76

Quote:
That is crazy cool!
Yeah, right. So, your accountant is probably driving a car that can do a 9.08 pass.

Anyway. I'm not a purist when it comes to trucks or hot rods. I know my idea of cool is different from others. From a personal standpoint, I wouldn't put a late model Hemi or Hellcat in a square body truck. I'm not a fan of the late model Chrysler stuff. I would do a 426 Hemi however, or even a Six Pack 440, that would be cool.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:11 PM   #19
crossfire84

Me I like all engines, it doesn’t matter to me what people put in there hot rods, that’s what this hobby is about. If we all did the same it would be boring.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Old 03-05-2022, 09:33 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

I guess I don't see square bodies as hot rods. They are vehicles that came with engines that can produce a lot of horsepower, if you know what you are doing. I certainly did in the '78 SWB 454 Silverado I used to own... 40 years ago. 450hp was enough for me. Still is
Name:  005_5.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  50.5 KB
I don't give a damn about off the lot performance. I've been building my own performance for over 50 years. THAT is hot rodding. I didn't see where Hemmings proved me wrong, and I don't need to be preached to about what hot rodding is after living a life of it.

Tim

Old 03-05-2022, 09:41 PM   #21
crossfire84

Why are you so angry? This thread was started about what Holley is offering as an alternative to the ls . All your going to do is get this thread locked down.
As a result of your response I will no longer be responding to this thread.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Old 03-06-2022, 11:54 AM   #22
LT7A

Quote:
Why are you so angry? This thread was started about what Holley is offering as an alternative to the ls . All your going to do is get this thread locked down.
As a result of your response I will no longer be responding to this thread.
Crossfire, try not to sweat it. You had to know that there would be differing opinions about swapping in the Chrysler engine. Special k just happens to be a little more eloquent about his lack of interest, haha. Why, I can't imagine, although spending so much time to detail one's disinterest might indicate some level of interest, haha. Even if it's contrarian. Moving on, even your screen name indicates that you make up your own mind. Because if I'm guessing correctly, you are a fan of 1984 Corvette engines that the running opinion is that they were limited. I happen to be a fan of engines and vehicles that were/are not just not popular, but actually unpopular, haha. Doesn't bother me and the people who mocked me have been fairly often proven wrong over time. Even if that does not happen, everyone can think whatever they want to. Thanks for starting the thread and feel free to carry on. I'm not sure why it became such a target and somewhat personal. Hot rodding does have a somewhat general definition, but I would submit that the essence of it is personal to each person's experience, perspective, and opinions. IIRC, a long time back, Hot Rod magazine, who some might consider to be an authority, haha, defined it as modifying a vehicle for performance or appearance. In which case both opinions stated above fit. In my personal opinion, appearance modifications alone are not the making of a hot rod, some part of the performance has to be improved. To further muddy the waters, I would say that I have hot rodded most of the vehicles that I have owned. But I would only consider a few of them to actually be hot rods...

Last edited by LT7A; 03-06-2022 at 02:00 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:07 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Why did you tell me I'm wrong about hot rodding and not expect the reply I gave?

Hemmings said reworking old parts into newer faster vehicles is the fundamental of hot rodding? As far as engine swaps, that began to gain more power before there was speed equipment for sale. That, and to gain power making advancements the original motor didn't have, like replacing a flathead with an OHV Cadillac or Olds

I stated my opinion on this swap and that I feel people can do what they want, I won't follow. That was to be my final statement. Still is

Tim

Old 03-06-2022, 01:59 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

I guess I chose the wrong words to say I don't care about factory performance than "I don't give a damn". I guess to some that may imply anger. For me it's just a common expression. That's how I have always felt, built not bought. I would have been a Day-2 guy back in the hey day of factory muscle cars. Back then I was into making '30s-'50s cars go fast or faster than those. Think of the movie Two Lane Blacktop. That would have been me in the '55.

Tim

Old 03-06-2022, 02:12 PM   #25
crossfire84

Quote:
I guess I chose the wrong words to say I don't care about factory performance than "I don't give a damn". I guess to some that may imply anger. For me it's just a common expression. That's how I have always felt, built not bought. I would have been a Day-2 guy back in the hey day of factory muscle cars. Back then I was into making '30s-'50s cars go fast or faster than those. Think of the movie Two Lane Blacktop. That would have been me in the '55.
hey no problem, i just thought this would be a fun thread hope you have a great day!
C4 rear
Porter built a arms