The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2022, 11:14 PM   #1
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Question ls swap and dual tanks

All, I have question and think this is the right place for it. I have a 2013 4.8 LS with original trans., ecm, and wire harness. It is in a 1986 C10 2wd with factory dual tanks. I have replaced the tanks with ’87 tanks, ’87 dash switch (ac delco) and a 87 tank valve and 6 wire harness (pollack). I am wanting to know if anyone has experience in a similar setup? Also I was wondering if anyone has heard about or experienced a issue with the ECM fuel pump signal and switching the tanks? I am wondering if there might be a “delay” or “reset” to get the ECM to signal the power for the fuel pump power?

thanks
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:12 PM   #2
SunSoaked

Re: ls swap and dual tanks

I have dual tanks on my 85 and recently replaced all the wiring for the fuel system. I also converted to 87 tanks and new sending units with GM pumps. I don't have an LS ecm but I do have Edelbrock PF-4 efi. I would assume both our ecm's output a ground trigger signal to a relay to power the pumps.

Th easiest, reliable way I found was to make a simple circuit separate from the factory harness that only powers/switches the fuel pumps. The factory sending units remain unchanged and use the OEM selector switch, 6 port valve and gauge.

It requires a toggle switch and two relays. The switch also doubles as a hidden anti-theft device as well. It also allows an easy way to manually pump your tanks dry for maintenance /repair. Using the output of the ecm also retains the safety features. If there is no oil pressure or RPM signal it cuts the pump signal.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #3
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Re: ls swap and dual tanks

sunsoaked
Thanks for the info. it appears to be "operating" correctly (I think)... I am just getting everything buttoned up to actually start and run to begin tuning. I have noticed that when I turn everything off for like 10 seconds, switch tanks at the dash switch and then turn key to the "key on" position that I don't hear the valve switch or the pump turn on?? I am wondering if the ECM "thinks that the pump is already primed, so it does not send a pump signal? I believe that I have things wired correctly....
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote