The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2022, 01:18 PM   #1
72timemachine

Trying to start without the key.

Hello,

I'm not Mr. Goodwrench , however, tell me if this will work. I am trying to help a disabled friend get a 30' RV off his property. The RV in question is a 1977 with a 454 Chevrolet big block mated to a th400 transmission. While the key has long gone missing, I was able to turn the steering wheel nearly 1/2 a turn in each direction to see if it would lock, however it did not seem to want to lock when turned in either direction. So one would think, I at least have steering.

To be honest, I forgot to move the shift lever around to see if the ignition key cylinder located about a 12" down from the shift lever on the column would allow me to put the RV in drive, reverse, etc. If worse come to worse, I can disconnect the linkage at the trans and shift it from there...yeah, I know, kinda dodgy right.

Finally, if I run a jumper wire to the terminal marked "battery" on the distributor cap to the positive post on the battery that should bypass the ignition switch and provide constant power to the coil to start and run the engine, no?

Then to get the engine to turn over, I would imagine connecting a starter button from the main positive terminal at the starter motor to the positive terminal of the starter solenoid would work.

I only need to back this vehicle up about 75 feet out of a super tricky driveway in order to get it out into the alley where it then be towed away. You ain't gonna move it with any type tow truck on this planet...so let's forego that conversation. Amazingly, it only has 12,000 miles on it.

Thank you for any help.
72timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 03:46 PM   #2
kglowacky

Re: Trying to start without the key.

someone on this forum should be able to help

Last edited by kglowacky; 10-23-2022 at 04:11 PM.
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 05:23 PM   #3
Bandit130

I think I would call a tow truck!

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 05:49 PM   #4
Dead Parrot

I would double check all of the weird hiding places in the RV for a key. Might get lucky.

Was your turning the steering wheel making the front tires turn?

Before disconnecting linkages, I would put it in park and see if your battery power to dizzy and start switch will let you get the motor started and running. If you can't make that happen, the rest of the issue is moot. If it has been many years since it last ran, you probably have a fuel tank full of goo rather then usable gas. Also possible some of the rubber suction hoses are bad either from rot or rodent chewing.

Have you tested both the normal brakes AND the emergency brakes? You don't want an out of control RV rolling through someone's house after the steering locked up and you then discover the brakes are bad. Keep in mind that if you disconnect the normal trans linkages, slamming the thing into park as a way of stopping it will probably not be possible in the few moments before impact.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 08:49 PM   #5
cadillac_al

Your plan will work. Once you get it started in park you can get a feel for how the brakes feel and how smooth it idles. If they both feel good it should back right out.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 11:56 PM   #6
72timemachine

Thank you Cadillac.
72timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote