The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2023, 08:55 AM   #1
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Steering wheel NUT

I installed a new tilt steering column on my 68C10. Works great but I do have one issue, after a couple weeks the steering nut comes loose under the horn button. So I figured I will put a locking nut on it, lasted a little longer but now that is loosening so I tightened it. Does anybody have any ideas or has this happened to anyone else?
ghackett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:04 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Steering wheel NUT

Hey, join the club. I'm a steering wheel nut too! I'm crazy about my steering wheels!!

Oh, you meant the nut that holds the steering wheel onto the column shaft? That is odd. I can't see what a difference the new column would make. Is the spline mating well and the nut torqued down properly? Not meant to question your ability, just starting from scratch here. Maybe something with the shaft spline machining and each time you tighten it down it self machines itself a bit farther down, but not yet bottomed out. The only thing the nut does is prevent the wheel from being pulled off the shaft by accident. Does the steering wheel pull loose w/o a puller?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:08 AM   #3
Getter-Done

Is this an Original GM column or aftermarket?

Is there a clamp at the bottom of the column loose?

Is the lower bearing shot and/or lost the ball bearings out of it?
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:09 AM   #4
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Yes when nut comes off the steering wheel pops off😳
Old 02-19-2023, 09:12 AM   #5
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Yes all the clamps are tight, tilt, turning all work fine. It’s an eBay steering column bought new but not one of the premium brands I guess which could be my problem from the start. But it was like $369 on eBay new.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:15 AM   #6
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghackett1 View Post
Yes all the clamps are tight, tilt, turning all work fine. It’s an eBay steering column bought new but not one of the premium brands I guess which could be my problem from the start. But it was like $369 on eBay new.
It’s a new aftermarket 68 C10 steering wheel also.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:34 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Once the steering wheel is tightened down properly you shouldn't be able to pull the wheel w/o a puller.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-19-2023, 09:43 AM   #8
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Once the steering wheel is tightened down properly you shouldn't be able to pull the wheel w/o a puller.
I agree. One thing I do remember is the repro wheel was just scraping the shell of the repro column so I put an 1/8 washer to keep the two surfaces from contacting and that worked but it seems like the wheel should should go down further on the shaft but cannot.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:58 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghackett1 View Post
I agree. One thing I do remember is the repro wheel was just scraping the shell of the repro column so I put an 1/8 washer to keep the two surfaces from contacting and that worked but it seems like the wheel should should go down further on the shaft but cannot.

If you put the 1/8" spacing washer under the steering wheel that may your problem. That would keep the wheel from seating all the way down. You would be better off grinding 1/8" off of the collar where the steering wheel is hitting it..

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 04:31 PM   #10
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
If you put the 1/8" spacing washer under the steering wheel that may your problem. That would keep the wheel from seating all the way down. You would be better off grinding 1/8" off of the collar where the steering wheel is hitting it..

LockDoc
I think you are correct. I think I’ll loc-tite it and install a new lock nut and see how that works. I wish now I’d spent another $200 and purchased an IDidit column. This column does look and work correctly - except for this issue but again like I said it could be the repro steering wheel that’s causing the problem. Thanks for all the responses and help.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:52 PM   #11
72SB

loc-tite....
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 11:26 PM   #12
Warrens69GMC

If enough thread, double nut it.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 12:36 AM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Don't know 68, 71 takes a flat washer and nut, and wholly cow id never intall one with a torque nut, seems that can screw up threads. Seems doc may be on to something,, perhaps the washer is too thick.. or perhaps its just not on the spindle quite right.. pictures might help........Tim you should talk to grumpy about having to use a puller😉🤪😁though I've always pulled mine with one.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 12:36 AM   #14
Accelo

Unbelievable, they can't get this to fit correctly, this is a serious safety item.
Possibly the taper isn't correct? Another possibly is the spline count is off?
Once tightened the wheel is fixed to the shaft by hoop stress and it should be impossible to get off, without a puller, like explained by Special-K. The stock nut is 9/16 NF and difficult to find. Who knows what the replacement column is, metric? There is no room for a second nut on the stock setup maybe yours does?
Right now you don't know if the issue is with the wheel or the end of the shaft.
Do you have an old wheel to check it with?
Even with out the nut installed a factory set up can be difficult to get apart just after setting a wheel on the shaft with a little hand pressure. Good point was made, it may not be the taper angle but the size of the hole. Too small and the wheel will not go on far enough and too large it will bottom on the shaft shoulder.
Possibly some clay or putty applied to the shaft and then installing it will give you a clue on what is going on.
I can feel you pain.
Good luck,
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 09:01 AM   #15
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
Unbelievable, they can't get this to fit correctly, this is a serious safety item.
Possibly the taper isn't correct? Another possibly is the spline count is off?
Once tightened the wheel is fixed to the shaft by hoop stress and it should be impossible to get off, without a puller, like explained by Special-K. The stock nut is 9/16 NF and difficult to find. Who knows what the replacement column is, metric? There is no room for a second nut on the stock setup maybe yours does?
Right now you don't know if the issue is with the wheel or the end of the shaft.
Do you have an old wheel to check it with?
Even with out the nut installed a factory set up can be difficult to get apart just after setting a wheel on the shaft with a little hand pressure. Good point was made, it may not be the taper angle but the size of the hole. Too small and the wheel will not go on far enough and too large it will bottom on the shaft shoulder.
Possibly some clay or putty applied to the shaft and then installing it will give you a clue on what is going on.
I can feel you pain.
Good luck,
Thank you, I actually do have the original steering column and steering wheel. That’s a good idea, if the wheel gets loose again I can try the new wheel on the old column just for fit and also try the old wheel on the new column and check it that way.
Old 02-26-2023, 10:40 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

If you removed an extra washer (if I understand correctly) that should fix it, unless something actually is made wrong. Like Lock Doc said, adding a spacer will prevent the wheel from seating properly.

Tim

Old 02-26-2023, 11:07 AM   #17
72c20customcamper

Like everyone said the steering wheel needs to be fully seated as the splines are tapered . The wheel if properly seated it should not come off without the nut . You should have to use a puller
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 12:01 PM   #18
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Like everyone said the steering wheel needs to be fully seated as the splines are tapered . The wheel if properly seated it should not come off without the nut . You should have to use a puller
Yes understood. I have been restoring vehicles as a serious hobby for years (I’m now 63) this is the first time I’ve seen this situation. I’ll let you know when I figure out the issue, I will be starting with the washer removal. Thx
Old 02-26-2023, 12:28 PM   #19
LNP

You could drill thru the steering column shaft and use a castle nut and cotter key. I gotta ask though are you sure you are using the correct thread type nut? What I mean is standard thread or metric thread. If you're using a standard thread nut on a metric thread it could just be popping loose because of unmatched threads.

1969 Chevy C-10 Long Bed, 350cid, 700R4
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 02:05 PM   #20
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNP View Post
You could drill thru the steering column shaft and use a castle nut and cotter key. I gotta ask though are you sure you are using the correct thread type nut? What I mean is standard thread or metric thread. If you're using a standard thread nut on a metric thread it could just be popping loose because of unmatched threads.
Yes, I have the original nut and it came loose first, then I went to ACE hardware and I brought the nut with me and purchased a locking nut with the same thread size as the nut I brought in with me. So the size is correct.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:34 AM   #21
KW5413

Speaking of Steering wheel issues...In a galaxy far, far, away...circa mid '70s USAF days...I bought a 1970 Mach I (loved that car). One day I was running errands in Tucson and while sitting at a red light, I grabbed the steering wheel and pulled back on it to reposition myself in the seat. The damned thing slid right of the spindle in my hands. Slid it back on but wouldn't hold. Dead in the water. Blocking the lane.

Much like now days in classic cars, I always had some tools in my vehicles. Jumped out, got in the trunk, got my vice-grips out and clamped them on the spindle. Well, folks, I got the car home, but I cannot accurately describe the difficulties experienced while driving a car, in traffic, with vice-grips. It's not impossible because I did it. However, I strongly recommend against it.

Come to find out, the spindle was stripped. Not only that, we discovered it had been wrecked. But, still loved the car...Even with issues I had later. 351 C 4 speed...
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:06 AM   #22
Grumpy old man

Nobody knows what you have going on without pictures !

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote