The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 12:16 PM   #1
Detour

Should I change heads?

The truck is a 67' K20 that supposedly came with a 327 factory. However, the current block dates it most likely to a 64' Impala with a hodge lodge of years/models for parts. The heads are the pyramid onto of a rectangle, that the internet says are 9.25:1 59cc chambers and 1.72/1.50 valves.

The truck will only be used for camping and Home Depot runs... once in a blue moon to tow a 2 horse trailer. So I don't care about maximum power, but I do like tinkering and a extra power is fun to play with.

So the question. I hear a lot about camel hump heads and the like and was wondering if they would be worth swapping to. Looks like they flow better, but have 62cc chambers which would lower the compression and might hurt low end torque.

Other info. Quadrajet, 1978 corvette factory manifold, 2.5" single exhaust, current cam is a mystery, but thinking about a mild upgrade in the future.
Detour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:27 PM   #2
Accelo

Re: Should I change heads?

I would retain what you have if the only option was the camel hump heads.
If I changed heads it would be to the Vortec heads. They have stellite valve and hardened seats plus flow a bunch better than the antique camel hump heads.
The also require center bolt valve covers that don't leak and a different intake.
It will increase power over what you have.
I can see no reason to run the old heads unless you are restoring a truck.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote