The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2004, 06:03 PM   #1
71swb4x4

help with 4x4 rotor again

Hey all

I have been trying to get my rotors off of my 71 1/2 ton 4x4. I have the hub off, and the nut behind that off. Then I took the big aluminum piece off. Here is a pic of where I am at. I need to get that washer looking thing with all of the holes out. How?? Blazerman told me to take that out and then there should be another nut behind it, but I can't get the washer off. It doesn't turn or anything - is there a trick or special tool I need?

Shawn
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2004, 06:24 PM   #2
nu2-72

It should have a tab on it and it pulls straight out. Slides in a key slot. May have one of the tabs peened over into a slot in the nut behind.
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 08:21 PM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

The spacer with all of the holes fit over a pin, (same size as the holes) and it prevents the inside nut from coming loose as it is keyed to the spindle. Usually a magnet will pull it if you pull it straight out. Sometimes the grease will keep it stuck and if you wash off the grease it will make it come out easier.

The washer functions like the castellated nut on the two wheel drive spindle so that you can adjust the bearings.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
elk hunter

if you have the snap ring pliers that you used for the axle snap ring that is the easiest way to remove it. it may not have a tab on it to grab, the earlier ones did not have that. there is another nut behind that lock ring that has a pin that you have to line up the lock ring to when you reassemble your project. be careful not to smash it, if this happens the drivers side will loosen up, and the passenger side will tighten and burn up the bearings.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:10 PM   #5
casey

I use like two dental picks to get mine off, just hook them on each side of the washer and wiggle it off, like the boys said you'll see a pin on the inside nut that fits in one of the holes in the washer, make sure it goes back together right, if you have doults when your putting it back together don't hesitate to post, better safe than sorry
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 10:51 PM   #6
71swb4x4

I got one side off but the washer just won't come off the other side. Not sure what I will do. I don't think the rotors need to be turned so I may end up putting the pads on and calling it good.
I wanted to check the bearings though since I was at it, but I just can't get that one washer off. Any other ideas?

Shawn
Old 01-18-2004, 02:26 AM   #7
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by 71swb4x4
I got one side off but the washer just won't come off the other side. Not sure what I will do. I don't think the rotors need to be turned so I may end up putting the pads on and calling it good.
I wanted to check the bearings though since I was at it, but I just can't get that one washer off. Any other ideas?

Shawn
Got a Cotter pin extractor aka "Booger Hook"? you can usualy reach behind it and pop it free with one of those. On a rare occasion the inner nut has turned a little and jammed the washer. Again the booger hook susaly can catch the slots the hub wrench slots and turn it enough to take the tennsion off the washer.

I would pull it man make sure there is grease in the back bearing. That bearing fails it is dangerious and if it does lock up from lack of grease it'sa real pain to cut the hub assembly off.

As for not truning the rottors. glazed rotors and new pads make poor brakes. get them turned. Change the brake fluid and you will be surprised at how well the brakes on these truck can work if you don't cut corners.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 11:45 AM   #8
FrankHoy

I had one spin a little once. So it got off line with the groove that the tab slides along on the inner diameter. Check to make sure that the tab and groove are aligned. If not, use a long punch/pick to twist it back and then it should slide out as normal.
00 Blazer
FrankHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 04:54 PM   #9
OLDCHEV4X4

I had a nut and washer assembley turn on me also. I took a punch and tapped it CCW to get the tang back into the slot on the spindle. But the washer ended up boogering up the threads on the spindle. I had to put the spindle nut socket on the 1/2 impact gun and it came off hard the whole way. Then i cleaned up the spindle with a thread file and bought a new nut and washer at the auto parts store....Fixed!!
Randy
72 custom/10 8' bed
70 K/5 Blazer
67 C-30 GMC Flat bed
86 GMC K2500 Plow Truck
85 GMC K3500
84 M1008
85 M1008
77 G30 Motor Home
72 Sears 12hp Tractor
Glenmoore, Pennsylvania
OLDCHEV4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote