The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2004, 04:30 PM   #1
78' Silverado
\/ My Loves \/

Bad News guys...truck got in a wreck last night :(

Well, it was around 2 am. I was sleeping and the truck was parked by my hosue by te curb. I wake and to my dad telling me that a woman hit it going 40 from behind :/ I was like thats pretty crappy. She didnt have her phone so she left the scene, went to her house which is down the street from me lol. Called the cops and all the inof was gotten and wat not. I go wendsday to gethte Police report..and get a few prices of the cost to fix it. theres pretty nasty damages to the following:

1.Tail Gate
2.Rollpan
3.Side Panel
4.Cab
5.Door

I cant open my drivers side door without kicking it from the insdie. The cab damage was made from her hitting it so far that the bed flew inot the cab making a big dent. Hte rollpan...which is by the way a double re-enforced fiberglass with a LP cutout, is damaged beyond repair. theres a small chance of them totaling it due to the fact that the repairs may be greater than the value of the truck. I looked up a few quotes on ClassicTruckShop.com and NADAguides.com and got about 6k on a average retail and 15k on a high retail. the truck before all the wrecks was in mint condition. Interior was MINT...and nody was to aside from a little bit of rust. The paint will cost the most beside the labor of it getting fixed. 1 quart is 100 dollars. Its a custom 3 Blue color. I took some pics of the truck yesterday to show yall let me kno wat yall think. And if anyone knows anything solid on the value of the truck or any other wenbsite that would be great. The yr of it is 78' and it came with all options at the time. Now for the pictures lol. Only puttin 6 I took double of others but here they are:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...49_13_full.gif

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...49_14_full.gif

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...49_15_full.gif

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...49_17_full.gif

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...49_19_full.gif

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...49_21_full.gif

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...49_20_full.gif

383 Stroker in progress for the 78'!!!
78' Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 04:48 PM   #2
rolson1039

ouch sorry for your loss looks like a bedside and a decent amount of work on the cab, the tailgate and roll pan are trash and will be replaced maybe $5000-600 damage
rolson1039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 04:52 PM   #3
1974StepSide
Play it Loud...

That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear about it. I hope she had insurance, and hopefully they'll get things fixed for you.

1974 Cheyenne Super Stepside, 350/400, Hooker Headers, Flowmaster Mufflers... Needs new doors, fenders, hood, and paint.

1952 Chevy Pickup waiting to be brought back home!
1974StepSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 05:09 PM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

Maaaan, that really sucks!!!

Was the woman drinking or what the hell happened to make her hit your truck?

Keep us posted, hopefully insurance won't jerk you around!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Arrow

Dude that sux big time sorry to hear that from now on you may want to think of parking off the street i never ever park on the side of a street just for that reason anyway's it's not as bad as i had expected it to be if that help's. But your truck is by no means totaled maybe in the eye's of the insurance co. but not in real world terms id'e fix it.

Was that BEOTCH Drunk or what?
Did the police give her a citation for leaving the scene?

Well, good luck i hope it works out for ya.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 05:20 PM   #6
Russell
Professional Grade

Daaang, that sucks!!!!

Your truck has been like an inspiriation for mine, add a white & blue two tone paint job with a 1980 front end and you have my dream truck right there...

Don't let the insurance agency rip you off, get every single penny back -- I hope you kept receipts to prove the costs of the parts!

I really hope this works out for you in the end man!
Old 01-25-2004, 06:23 PM   #7
CRRoy71

Man, I hate to hear that. I am like the others though, I think it can be fixed. I also would like to hear the woman's excuse.

Let us know if we can help out in any way.

'92 ext. cab s/b 4.3L "Sparky"
'04 crew cab 2500 4x4 6.0L
CRRoy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 06:24 PM   #8
SCOTI

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Start organizing all your receipts & pictures of the truck before the accident so you have an accurrate value of the truck on paper.

The insurance estimator will look the truck over but don't accept their estimate w/o verifying all the info. When my 68 was hit (similar to your damages), there were things missed. On mine, he missed the damage to my lower control arm from when the car that hit me forced me up the curb/center median. So I not only added that, but once you swap the part there are mechanical exspenses as well (make sure your door hinges are ok, if not be sure they're included). Verify the entire back of the cab was not damaged as well, not just that side (on impact the bed will shift around & cause other damages).

Understand they won't be able to put it back exactly the way it was. That being said, if it was in good shape (undamaged) you should be able to get real GM parts & not have to settle for repops.

Good luck.... take lots of aspirin. You'll need it when dealing w/an insurance company because after all..... it's just a 26yr old truck.... right?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 07:32 PM   #9
Lynx

Ohhh man that really sucks! That is the exact reason why i dont park on my street! You would be supriesed how often that sort of thing happens... Hope it all works out for ya.

Ben

1983 Silverado SWB 305
2002 Silverado Extended Cab 5.3
http://members.shaw.ca/bkennett
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 07:48 PM   #10
stepside454

sorry to hear & see that. My 76 Stepper was hit head on while my wife was sitting in a left turn lane by a girl who decided to switch lanes, off side hit. Totalled the truck, it was bent up real bad.
Wife had to have numerous oral surgerys. Coulda been much worse, but still I was sick about it.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:30 PM   #11
Blue Beard

Sorry to see that happen to anyone...nice looking ride.........

Did they cite her for the accident and for leaving the scene of the accident.........?
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:35 PM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Tyler listen to what Scoti is telling you. The insurance adjuster will does his/her best to right it off as "just an old truck" . Since it was such a cherry truck you will have a hard time replacing or restoring what you had. Get your ducks in a row before they look at it.

I feel your pain buddy, because I have been down that road. The good thing is you weren't in it, but I know that doesn't make you feel better....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:49 PM   #13
78' Silverado
\/ My Loves \/

Thx for all the help guys. As for getting a ticket fro leaving I dont think so b/c well she did call the cops and told them wat had happened. Plus no one woke me up lol. As for getting my ducks in a row. Be it I am 18 all my other wrecks were handeled by my father. We both think I should handle this one which is fine by me. Where shoukld I get started. Taken pics, will be reveiwing damages tommorow. Making sure everything is in order. Anything else. Besides going over wat the adjuster will quote me on. People are saying that most likely they will total it. And then i'll have to pay a 500 dollar charge to getit back. Wat is it with Insurance compaines. You kno....You wreck you pay for it..Not you wreck and its total and u 1000 dollars b/c its hte value of the car and good luck finding a new one have a nice day lol. I will have that truck back....I am jsut worried about the damages. And if they happen to "low-Ball" us persay on the cost. Then we are thinking of sueing them. But everything right now is up in the air. nothing official will be done till i get my Police Report. Which is wensday. So wish me luck lol. Again thx for the help guys!!! And as a side kinda funny note.....This happens ot be my 9th wreck since I was 16 lol. Ironicly I'v never hit a single person..they have always hit me hahah.

Old 01-25-2004, 11:57 PM   #14
Dirty Dan
Oh Look Out!

Whenever I see something like that it makes me sick to my stomach.

"I have a lot of growing up to do...
I realized that the other day inside my fort" - Zack Galifianakis.
Dirty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:01 AM   #15
Lynx

Note to self! Never going near any of tylers trucks! MAN you got BADDD luck!! 9!! thats insane... lol

1983 Silverado SWB 305
2002 Silverado Extended Cab 5.3
http://members.shaw.ca/bkennett
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:07 AM   #16
78' Silverado
\/ My Loves \/

^^^^ Not my fault....Consider this...if my older car handt gotten totaled, I wouldnt have gotten this truck and I would not be a mod right now on this site. lol. Everything happens for a reason.

Old 01-26-2004, 02:23 AM   #17
apstguy
LED King

That sucks. Before I got my trucks, it was involved in a wreck and the insurance company totalled it. All that was damaged was the fender, hood grille radiator, and bumper. The frame was slightly bent so they totalled it. We baught it back cheap and fixed it back up with insurnace money.

Some advice for you - look up ads and value for your truck in Auto trader, newspaper, etc. Make sure you have pleanty of proof it was in mint condition and show how much these nice trucks are going for now. Show ALL the damage. I bet since the bed shifted forward, it damaged more than just the cab. Check all the mounts, bolts, etc. and included it in the estimate. Don't let them bully you around. Get proof.

Why did she hit it? Drunk, high, or just plain stupid?

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:41 AM   #18
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

Man that sux. Keep us updated!

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:29 PM   #19
78' Silverado
\/ My Loves \/

asptguy -- Thx alot, I will be sure the check and the mounts and blots soon. No she wanst drunk :/ lol. She was trying to get some fries outta her bag lol.

Old 01-26-2004, 10:37 PM   #20
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Man that suxs. I hope you get it fixed.
My truck had similiar cab damage when I bought it. It wont be easy to fix. Saving the bed may not be worth it. I opted to replace the entire thing. Cheaper too.
Well get it fixed and don't take crap from the insurance company!!
Old 01-26-2004, 11:52 PM   #21
shavedchevy

nice little dent you got there. That's the worst spot to get hit, you pretty much have to replace the whole box. If it was the front you could at least change parts.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:12 AM   #22
toytruck
5-7 dropped 87 CC Dually

Sounds like you could go after MickyD's for allowing people to eat and drive! LOL
Old 03-18-2004, 12:40 PM   #23
Swartzhund

Funny

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynx
Ohhh man that really sucks! That is the exact reason why i dont park on my street! You would be supriesed how often that sort of thing happens... Hope it all works out for ya.

Ben
I know this is off topic but it cracked me up to see Lynx avatar with his truck parked on the street.
Swartzhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:08 PM   #24
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Man that stinks! Be prepared like everyone said for the adjuster not to care.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:33 PM   #25
Prerunner1982

definately check the frame, i was at a dead stop and was hit by a south western bell telephone truck going 40.. picked my truck up and threw it.. across 2 lanes into a parking lot. driver wasnt paying attention. like yours, my bumper, bed side, bed floor, rear of cab and frame were all messed up, i was lucky i have like 1/16th of and inch between my door and where the cab got bent. i was quote $5400 to fix mine. of course i only got $2k.. obviously mine isnt as nice as yours... good luck.

if she was going 40, she was speeding and deserves a ticket for that.

here are pics of my truck after the wreck (though i am sure everyone has already seen them)

the rest of the pics, including one of where the bed hit the cab are at.... http://hometown.aol.com/onebad2by/wreck.html

Last edited by Prerunner1982; 03-18-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote