The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2004, 06:36 PM   #1
jorgensensc
Registered User

jorgensensc's Avatar

Location: Cypress, Tx
O/T: Opinions about ebay auction. (long)

Before I start, please nobody buy this out from under me!!

I found this auction on ebay for a motorcycle that I am interested in >ebay link
But then got to thinking it seemed wrong, so I emailed the seller about the Buyer List:

To member: jakejake25
>From member: jorgensensc
>
>--------------------
>

>Am I a Pre Approved bidder?
>Can I be put on the list?

His response is as follows:

Jake25jake25@aol.com wrote:
Hello,
I've had a problem with a non-paying bidder recently and I must tell you that the buyer only will be added to make one final
bid on my bike. The price I'm willing to sell it for is $3800 including shipping within the U S.
Jacob

Now I've used ebay for awhile, but this Buyers list is new to me.
He also has a starting price with no reserve, but wants 1900 deposit. If the bike sells for less than 1900, he still has to sell the bike to the highest bidder, right?

Doesn't it sound like he wants 3800, and that includes shipping charges? Or am I reading it wrong?

I emailed him this in return:

Jacob,
I have a few questions for you.
1) You have this bike listed as a 2000 CBR900 RR. They stopped making them in 1999. What is the actual year that is on the VIN tag on the bike?
2) Can you provide a VIN number to me for this bike so that I can Run a Carfax report on it?
3) In your email below you are saying you want 3800 to include shipping, is that correct?
4) Can you send me closer detailed pics of the body, showing any scratches, etc?
5) Your auction has a starting price of .99, if it does not get to 3800, I would still win, right?
6) What carrier would you use to deliver?
7) I'm a little confused by your statement 'the buyer only will be added to make one final
bid on my bike.' What exactly do you mean by this?
8) Can I have someone local come out and take a look at the bike for me?

I am very interested in the bike, but would rally like this additional information. If you could please answer all of the questions it would be very helpful to me. I've had problems with sellers in the past only answering the questions they want to and not revealing details that I ask about.
Thank You for your help.
Shawn

Do y'all think this is a scam? I am a little leary since no-one has bid on it yet. He has good feedbak, but what does that really mean? You can get your buddies to give you good feedback if you know how to work the system right.

I personally hate the color of the bike, but If I can get it for a steal then I will repaint it.

So do y'all think it is a scam?
Opinions please.
Thanks
Shawn
__________________
1972 C20 Suburban- Big Blue Betty
'56 Chevy Bel Air Sedan- Frame up Restoration

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 06:41 PM   #2
stelth2002
Young Gun wth Fast Inline

stelth2002's Avatar

Location: Idaho
Ive been scammed on ebay with $hit like that for a big chuck of change. I personally would stay completely away from that unless you can pick it up in person. Mine happened the exact same way. Also email ebay, the account could be hacked, if its to good to be true it is. A lot of accounts have been hacked and the false person puts up something like this. So my idea would be to email ebay and turn the guy in.
__________________
1967 Chevrolet LWB with built 292! 415 ft. lbs of torque, 4 speed :O with 27% overdrive too, 3.73 Posi. Frame and body done... getting painted!!!
stelth2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 06:53 PM   #3
jorgensensc
Registered User

jorgensensc's Avatar

Location: Cypress, Tx
stelth2002,
I see your point, but my curiosity is getting to me..

Are there any members in Sarasota, FL That could run by and see if this bike is for real, and maybe get a face to face with the seller so I know he is really selling the bike. That is of course if the 'seller' emails me back and says someone can look at the bike.
__________________

Old 02-26-2004, 06:59 PM   #4
stelth2002
Young Gun wth Fast Inline

stelth2002's Avatar

Location: Idaho
the one time i let the curiosity get to me it cost my over a grand.... (((((( I agree someone should go look at it
__________________
Old 02-26-2004, 07:21 PM   #5
Castiron9
72 LONGHORN OWNER

Castiron9's Avatar

Location: Seattle Wash.
You've heard that saying "If it's to good to be true it probably is".............Too many hoops to jump through..If he really wanted to sell the bike he would have just listed it the old fashioned way......Personally when some starts an auction at .99 cents with no reserve, I believe something is not right....just my 2 cent's worth.....
__________________
72-SUPER CHEYENNE/20 LONGHORN

70-C/30 DUALLY
Castiron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 07:31 PM   #6
smitty62
Registered User

smitty62's Avatar

Location: North Carolina
I'd be very wary--sounds like a fruitcake to me. Why should you have to go through all this to buy something? There's other bikes---
__________________

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 07:33 PM   #7
CHEVYE
my gas saver

CHEVYE's Avatar

Location: Clarksville, TN
is there any action you can take through e bay about getting ripped off? i`m looking @ buying a $1300 laptop and i will flip my lid if someone rips me off.
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 07:45 PM   #8
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

bouncytruck's Avatar

Location: Bothell, WA
I thought that there was an e-bay company that would hold the funds in limbo until both parties had fullfilled their obligations. It is something like share-trade. I think you can get to the site through Paypal.
__________________
bouncytruck 1972 K5
The Hauler 1994 K1500 Suburban
The Daily2010 Kia Soul
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 07:49 PM   #9
jorgensensc
Registered User

jorgensensc's Avatar

Location: Cypress, Tx
bouncytruck,
That is a good idea, maybe I should look into a third party holder.
1972 C20 Suburban- Big Blue Betty
'56 Chevy Bel Air Sedan- Frame up Restoration

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmarks