The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2004, 11:45 PM   #1
ricknmel

Smile Fresh 480" BBC with TH400 trans

I bought this engine from a drag strip owner a while ago to drop in my 67 Buick drag car project. Since then I've decided that I just have to keep the Buick "all Buick" so I have no use for this engine.
I can't build my Buick 455 until I sell this one though...

It has not been fired since it was built.
The engine is a .120 over 454 = about 480 big block Chevy cubes. It's NOT filled. This was to be a mid 9 second street sleeper.
GM Aluminum heads Intake runners flowed 330 after porting.
GM aluminum intake is port matched to the heads.
Pistons are 12.5:1....12:1 with heads and "Seal Power" rings
The crank is .010/.010
Crane 708 roller cam
Roller Rockers
GM Dimple Rods and GM HV oil pump
I also have a fresh TH400 trans that comes with it. (no converter)
Can be picked up in Tiffin Ohio 44883
Here's all the codes I could find on it:
Block:
Cast into the rear "shelf" behind the intake:
10069280 GM 3P CF C070
I believe the numbers make it a 1970 block?
Stamped into the front just above the timing cover : TH20XXZ0

Heads: Cast inside - 3946074
I believe these were used in the 69 L88 Vette, 69 ZL1 Camaro, 71 LS6 & ZR2

I can take as many more pictures as you want.

I'm asking $4,800 for everything (engine and trans)

I doubt you could duplicate this for any less than $9-$10K

Thanks
Rick
Attached Images

ricknmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:46 PM   #2
ricknmel

pic
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2004, 11:46 PM   #3
ricknmel

another
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2004, 11:51 PM   #4
ricknmel

You can see that I have an oil pump primer mounted in it.
About once a month, I prime it for a couple minutes, and then continue to prime it while I use a pipe in the long bolts sticking out from the balancer to turn it over a few times.
My garage is heated and dry.

You can also see a few solid frame mounts laying on the floor in the second picture. Those come with it too.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:33 AM   #5
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

SWEEEEET! That should make some truck very happy! What did mods did you do to the TH400 to manage that big block? Rumor has it that to get max $ from your motor that you should fire it, do a dyno pull and provide the printout for potential buyers on ebay. I know this is a big expense and pain but I have thought about it some but have not searched the ebay "completed" sales to verify this.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #6
ricknmel

I don't know much about the trans. Because I didn't ask much about it when I got it. I was more interested in the engine.... the trans just happened to come with it.
I can say that the trans was built to go behind this engine by Coan and has never been used.

I've thought about having the engine dyno'd. But for the majority of the time I've had, I was planning on using it, so I wasn't concerned with dyno numbers. Dyno's don't win races.
The guy that built it owns drag strips, and built the engine for himself. He was going to put it in his 10 second street sleeper Nova to get it in the 9's. He went to drop it in, and the headers hit the shifter linkage on the column shifter. He refuses to cut the car up in any way, so out came the engine and the SBC went back in. I happened to be in the right place at the right time and got a great deal on it. ($4,800)

But now that I'm not going to use it, I just want to get my money back out of it without losing too much. I'm afraid that dyno'ing it would just put me further "in the hole" on it.
But Thanks!, thats a good suggestion, and if I don't sell it soon, I just may end up doing that. Who knows.... maybe I'll see the numbers and decide to keep it myself!
Old 02-28-2004, 07:10 PM   #7
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

i believe i would have bought some bigblock nove headers and went ahead and dumped it in , i sure as he11 wouldnt have let a header bump keep me from putting that in , how bout a quarter stick ? i would have found some way of making it grow roots nder my hood
MAC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 07:14 PM   #8
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

ok this is bugging me , probably because i would like to have it soo much . he run a drag nova , he is getting ready to dump a 480 big block into it , now undoubtadly this thing will be pushing some big horses , and torque , i also am pretty sure that for a car to have a motor like this and in any way shape or form even dream, of staying to gether it would have had to have been hacked on somewhere or another , i cant see someone trying to dump this in a stock nova with even a 10 inch wide tire out back and think it was going to hook,, just my opinoin ,
Old 02-28-2004, 07:40 PM   #9
ricknmel

MAC, You should see this Nova!
It's a 1970-ish, beige, white vinyl top, bech seat, column shift.
Not a gauge visible anywhere! Not even a tach. He has a tiny LED hooked into his MSD that comes on as a shift light. It's mounted real low, and I didn't even notice it until he pointed it out to me.
His other gauges are mounted inside his glove box.
This is a TRUE sleeper car. If you saw it in a parking lot, you'd expect to see grandma bringing groceries to it. You can't tell it has any mods (until he fires it up) You can't hide the sound of a 10 second SBC no matter how much money you spend on mufflers.
It runs 10.0's on street tires!
The passenger door used to try to pop open when he launched because of the body twist.
They did finally weld some frame connectors under the car to stiffen it, but you can't see them unless you're looking for them.

He didn't want to put a floor shifter in it because that would blow the whole "sleeper thing".

And you're right. It doesn't hook. It takes skill to race a 10 second street car. You're not going to be consistent at the track because traction is going to vary every run.
But thats not what his car is all about. He only gets to run it at each track a couple times until they realize how quick it is and he doesn't have a cage.

He has his own track and gets to play with the Nova on his own time. Plus he used to be big into the street racing scene. And this car would win you money on the street! Because who's going to guess it's so quick? The Nova is his street toy. He also has a "race car" for actual drag racing. (7 second BBC Cavalier)
His son has a 9 second "Pro street" truck. Mid 90's chevy stepside.

He built this BBC to drop the Nova into the 9's. He's rich. This was pocket change for him.
I paid cash for this engine on a Sunday. He was heading out for a 30 day cruise on his yatch the next day and planned to use my cash as "spending money" when he stopped at different islands.

I know..... crazy story huh? But thats my story, and I'm sticking to it! :p

I'm not real good friends with the guy. I'm pretty good friends with one of his sons though. I used to do alot of business with him. I went to their shop to pick up a 383 stroker, and asked why this BBC was sitting in the corner. He told me the story, asked if I'd rather have that one instead of the 383. Of course I said YES!, but I probably couldn't afford it. He offered it to me for $4,800...
... and the rest is history.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:16 AM   #10
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

i understand rick , i am very very sorry if i sounded like i was bad mouthing the motor , i deffinatley didnt mean to sound that way or come off the way i did , i guess i just blanked over the street sleeper part , i do understand now what you are saying , and i know a few fellas that are like that , dont ya wish you could have theyre checkbook for one day.. sorry if i came off wrong

Mac
Old 02-29-2004, 01:47 AM   #11
ricknmel

No problem Mac. I didn't take any offence to your comments.
I was only trying to explain about the engine.

and YEAH! I'd certainly like to have their checkbook for even 10 minutes! LOL
Old 02-29-2004, 01:52 AM   #12
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

if i had the dough right now pal i would own her in a flat a$$ed second with no worries, but wish in one hand and $hit in the other and tell me which one fills up the fastest hahaha,,good luck and if i win the lotto ill be gettin ahold of ya
Old 02-29-2004, 12:43 PM   #13
ricknmel

LOL

If you win the lottery.... why by this 480"?...
You could buy something like this 808"BBC with 1600 HP!!

Old 03-26-2004, 06:00 PM   #14
ricknmel

I just bought a tubbed/caged Monza to drop this engine in.
So the engine isn't for sale anymore...

BUT... the car is set up for a small block. If someone had a SBC with AT LEAST 600+ HP and was looking to trade for a BBC, I'd be interested in talking.
I'll be buying all the stuff to convert the car to a BBC within the next 2 weeks, and after I buy the stuff (all $800 worth) I'll definately be dropping the BBC in the car.

Let me know if your interested in a trade of some kind.
Thanks
Rick
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2004, 06:33 PM   #15
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

god stop it rick , i forgot all about this till you brought it back ,,, ill trade ya a bridge , its in a little town called brooklyn !! hahahah dang thatd be fun
Old 03-26-2004, 06:43 PM   #16
ricknmel

Quote:
Originally posted by MAC67
god stop it rick , i forgot all about this till you brought it back ,,, ill trade ya a bridge , its in a little town called brooklyn !! hahahah dang thatd be fun
Really!?!? I might be interested. Can I see some pictures of your bridge?
:p

Yes, the Monza is definately going to be FUN. But it's also going to be alot of work to stuff that BBC in it.
From the research I've been doing the last couple nights, it's looking like I'm going to need to move parts of the tube chassis, move the firewall back about 6", reroute my steering column with u-joints ..etc... the list goes on and on. And all that is AFTER I spend about $800 on special motor plates and headers. I won't even mention all the things about the car that I feel I need to change anways, like the wiring is a mess, and my 4 year old could have done a neater job running the brake lines ..etc...etc...

But it'll be worth it!
Old 03-27-2004, 01:56 AM   #17
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Rick, Heres a pic of that bridge.
whaddaya thing....do wee have a deal?

Denny
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 02:01 AM   #18
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

hey denny this is my deal ,,lmao ,,
Old 03-27-2004, 10:02 AM   #19
ricknmel

I don't care who's it is... but it looks great.
But I can't tell if it's going to fit in my back yard or not.
How long is it?
Also.. how tall is it? I have a phone line above my driveway, and I don't want to have to move it to bring my new bridge home.

LOL
Old 03-27-2004, 12:22 PM   #20
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Rick,

From one end to the other, the Brooklyn Bridge measures 6,016 feet, including approaches. The long river span passes the tower arches at an elevation of 119 feet, gradually rising to 135 feet above the East River at mid-span to accommodate passage of even the tallest ships. (The 135-foot clearance soon became the standard for bridge construction.) Because of the elevation of the span above the East River and the relatively low-lying shores, the rest of the bridge, sloping down to ground level, had to extend quite far inland on both sides of the river to provide an easy three and one-quarter percent grade.
The Brooklyn Bridge is designed to have a load capacity of 18,700 tons.

Mac,

Its not every day someone will trade a BBC for a bridge.
ANd you were slacking on the pics and questions.
Now I'm not the kind of guy who would cut in in on someone elses deal but geeze.....the deal was too good to pass up LMAO

Rick, I cannot ship,
You would have to pickup your self, but in return I could pick up the 454 as well

Denny
Old 03-27-2004, 12:59 PM   #21
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

LMFAO!
Old 03-27-2004, 01:15 PM   #22
ricknmel

Denny, thanks for the description
How much does your bridge weigh?
Since you can't ship it, I'll need to come get it with my car hauler. I'm sure I'll have to cut it into several pieces so it'll fit on my trailer, but I'm more concerned with the weight. I don't want to have to make too many trips. Gas is expensive you know.

LMAO
Old 03-28-2004, 02:22 AM   #23
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Sorry rick, the bridge won't fit on my scales.
I will me heading through Ohio the first week in Aug. and would be happy to bring as much as would fit in the Durango after I get in the wife and kids and all their stuff.

Hey that would be a good time to pick up the 454!
Do ya need a few kids?

Denny
Old 03-29-2004, 01:45 PM   #24
ricknmel

Quote:
Originally posted by DennyB
Do ya need a few kids?
Nope, got plenty of kids (one) LOL

Thanks for all your hard work on this deal, but I've found a bridge locally that will work out better for me. :p

But seriously... I've already started ordering parts to stuff this BBC in my Monza, so I guess no more trade offers will be considered....... no matter how nice your bridge is.
It's going in!!
Hopefully it'll be breathing within 6 weeks.

Thanks for letting me post here. This has been a fun thread.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:49 PM   #25
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Yes, that was fun.

Be sure to post pics of the "shoe horn" installation of that BBC in that monza. That will be intresting for sure!
I bet you can get into the 8s with it