The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

Ummm... uh-oh! No brakes!

Well, driving home this evening with several inches of snow on the ground and more on the way, I discovered that I had zero pedal resistance until I hit the floor. Fortunately, I had just enough to creep to a stop when I needed to and traffic wasn't moving more than 5 mph so I got 'er home. I'm betting the system done sprung itself a leak and I've got no fluid.

Even better, my garage is packed full of woodworking tools meaning my only choices are fix this thing in 13F wind and snow or haul it in to somebody. For you fellas that picked the latter option, how much did a brake job cost (assuming the master cylinder is okay)?
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

I'd actually assume the master cylinder needs a rebuild

Mine was like that when I bought it, the MC had a blown seal in it, bought a cheap rebuild kit, and put it back on the truck, been good ever since
Old 01-21-2005, 11:11 PM   #3
franko72
Franko72

You may have blown a wheel cylinder. Check the fluid level at the master cylinder.The best deal would be a friend who has an empty garage nearby to do repairs

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:23 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

yep, sounds like you lost 1/2 the system.
Master cylinders are so cheap,. I am suprised anyone would rebuild one.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:50 PM   #5
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

yep the wheel cylinder idea is very common and they are fairly easy to replace as well. I'd definitely find a buddy with a garage and check the fluid. If its low put some in and find where the leaks coming from. Don't let something silly like that put you in the position to fork out 40 dollars per shop hour to tell you something like ohh you're line was loose and we filled it back up for ya. I believe wheel cylinders are like 10 bucks and i think i got mine at auto zone when i had to replace mine
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:56 AM   #6
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

park it for the winter & drive the Beemer
empty all the wood working tools out & I will come get them out of your way.
as for the problem at hand, it sounds like either the master or a wheel cylinder. look at all 4 wheels for signs of wettness. Im trying to remember if you have power brakes or just old "el manual". look at the rear of master for signs of leakage also. I personally would replace all 4 wheel cylinders & also the master as well as all 3 hoses. if one went the rest are gonna be following suit soon. I (& most likely you too) just hope it isnt a blown hard line. if you need assistance feel free to PM me for my phone # & I will be more than happy to help. (remember the timing?)
Todd aka Mr. Rescue
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:52 AM   #7
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

Thanks for the advice everybody. Assuming I can find the truck in the snowbank that is our driveway, I'll check the fluid tomorrow. I suppose there's no better way to spot a leak than on fresh snow.
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote