The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Vintage Air System in my 69 C10

My Truck did not come with factory AC and I am thinking about putting in AC this summer because the Tx heat is just too much for me. But I was wondering how hard is it to mount the vents in the cab and has anyone done this before? Is there anywhere you can get the complete system for less than $1095 like $800 or so? other than ebay? And if anyone has done it to their truck any advice?
Striker169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
71swb4x4

jorgensensc put aftermarket AC in his truck. He is in Texas also. Here is the thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=102440
Old 03-01-2005, 10:01 AM   #3
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

It's not too hard to do; I installed it in my 72 non-AC truck. You won't find it for less than a grand anywhere, believe me I looked. The truck is still under construction but all the Vintage Air stuff has been mocked up. You are more than welcome to come take a look at it if you like; its in South Auston at a buddy's body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker169
My Truck did not come with factory AC and I am thinking about putting in AC this summer because the Tx heat is just too much for me. But I was wondering how hard is it to mount the vents in the cab and has anyone done this before? Is there anywhere you can get the complete system for less than $1095 like $800 or so? other than ebay? And if anyone has done it to their truck any advice?
Old 03-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #4
Johnny05

I just ordered an Old Air system from www.gmcpaulstruckparts.com for my '72 non A/C cab. I've seen the Vintage air system installed and it looks like a good system but I was told the Old Air system was a "better" under dash unit. We'll see..
BTW.. it was less than $1k and I am also located in South Austin.
Johnny05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:35 PM   #5
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny05
I just ordered an Old Air system from www.gmcpaulstruckparts.com for my '72 non A/C cab. I've seen the Vintage air system installed and it looks like a good system but I was told the Old Air system was a "better" under dash unit. We'll see..
BTW.. it was less than $1k and I am also located in South Austin.
Well I would like to come see your truck sometime and ill bring mine
Old 03-01-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
Trifelynn

I would like to see some pictures of it installed, if anyone has any. I have a non-A/C Blazer, and I would like to put A/C in it. Not sure if I want to take a factory set-up and fit into my blazer, or use an aftermarket like Vintage...If anyone has any pics, it would be great to see...thanks

Lenny
Old 03-01-2005, 05:42 PM   #7
Zonaman

I just installed an Old Air system, very similar to Vintage. I think Vintage has floor heat whereas Old Air comes out center vents. I noted the folks who sell/install the most after market air systems seem to favor Old Air. It was pretty straight forward and it cools very well indeed!

PS Old Air operates out of Texas.

Last edited by Zonaman; 03-01-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
Johnny05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker169
Well I would like to come see your truck sometime and ill bring mine
No problem.. your welcome to come by anytime.. I'm off Wm. Cannon and I35. I haven't done alot in the way of looks but there's alot of things that can't be seen that I've done. Since I drive it pretty often I try and keep it "driveable". I'm getting ready to pull the tank from behind the seat and install one under the bed. Then it's time to finish the interior!
Old 03-01-2005, 07:05 PM   #9
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Vintage Air is also based in Texas (Ft. Worth).

I went around and around trying to decide which brand to buy and quite honestly I ended up with Vintage Air due to their new Compact Air system that was offered. I didn't buy the Sure-Fit System since I am using a GM compressor and a serpentine belt system from a '92 Camaro. I bought mine from a company in Oklahoma so I didn't pay sales tax. The company I bought it from has been exceptional on the after sales service they provide. I have no doubt they are both good systems but what I have seen on this board over the last couple of years when this topic is brought up, Vintage Air wins out with the majority of end users. I suspect when poor results are achieved from either system the majority of the time the fault probably lies with the installer. I guess I'll find out in August if I made a good decision.....
Old 03-01-2005, 09:05 PM   #10
Johnny05

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocwon
Vintage Air is also based in Texas (Ft. Worth).

I went around and around trying to decide which brand to buy and quite honestly I ended up with Vintage Air due to their new Compact Air system that was offered. I didn't buy the Sure-Fit System since I am using a GM compressor and a serpentine belt system from a '92 Camaro. I bought mine from a company in Oklahoma so I didn't pay sales tax. The company I bought it from has been exceptional on the after sales service they provide. I have no doubt they are both good systems but what I have seen on this board over the last couple of years when this topic is brought up, Vintage Air wins out with the majority of end users. I suspect when poor results are achieved from either system the majority of the time the fault probably lies with the installer. I guess I'll find out in August if I made a good decision.....
August!? We'll know by June how good these systems work... I've seen how good the vintage air system works on another truck and the owner was really pleased with it but when we were talking under dash systems he seemed to think Old Air was better suited. Like you said we'll see...
Old 03-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #11
subtle71
Granddad's Ol' Truck

As for this large man, I love my Vintage Air!! I stopped by Vintage Air when I was in San Antonio back in 2000. The sales manager, Mike B. gave me a tour of their facilities and gave me options for ordering my system. I forked over the $1000 for it with the factory gm controller. I liked the look of their vents better. I finally installed this system in late 2003. I ordered my as the r134a refrigerant rather than the older. This system will freeze you out!! I would recommend Vintage Air to everyone!! Originally I had it on my 250 I-6. When I swapped it over to the new ZZ4 they helped me out with all the new brackets that I needed. If I were you and were as close to them as you are, I would take a quick ride over and check them out in person.
As for the installation, I would plan on setting aside an entire weekend for the project, but them include a step by instruction book with the kit! And as for buying it off the web, $1000 is a lot of money to get burned over. Spend the extra $100 and get the manufacturer's full warranty. Vintage Air also has extremely helpful Technical Support.

Dean
Attached Images

2005 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD crew cab 2wd

[I]1971 Chevrolet Custom 10 Deluxe lwb fleet-side
subtle71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:37 PM   #12
Striker169
Car O'Holic

subtle71 do you have any pictures of the side vents that is more of what I am concerned on the middle vent looks easy but it is the side vents that I want to see how they are done.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:58 PM   #13
saulgoode

Striker169, if you wanted to keep it looking stock you could get the side vents from an AC cab and install them on yours then run your after market AC ducts to them. I know a couple guys on here have done this and is seemed easy to do. They would get a pattern of the hole in the dash from the donor truck cut, install and it looked factory.

Hope this helps,
Saulgoode
saulgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:07 PM   #14
hobby67stepside

Here's my Vintage Air setup. I think I gave about $1050, but I don't remember for sure. It's been a couple years ago. Mine was a non-A/C dash. I cut holes for the vents. Used a stock center and Vintage Air circular side dash vents. I welded in plates in the stock heater control area so the Vintage control would fit nicely.
    '78 K20 4X4 400 eng
    '70 Boss 302 (owner for 27 years)
    '57 Ford shortbox 383 stroker TH350 tranny
    '23 T-bucket (built in '78)
    '02 Explorer
    '67 C-10 short step
NW Iowa
hobby67stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #15
cornutz
All Praise RANDY!!

hobby---Is that the Gen II series? or the sure fit system?

Thanks,

NutZ
cornutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:34 PM   #16
hobby67stepside

cornutz, that's the Gen II. That is the setup for the clean firewall. With the "sure-fit" you get firewall block-off plates, but IMO its not as clean looking.
hobby67stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:45 AM   #17
Johnny05

The one I saw in he 71 was the sure fit system. The owner had drill the dash to get the side vents in. Overall he did a good job but I prefer to go with an underdash system to save the effort of modifing or changing out the dash.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:35 AM   #18
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

My Gen II installation turned out much like hobby67stepside. I did however use the factory style vents which are available from Vintage Air and others as well.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2005, 10:01 AM   #19
oj70chevy
250 V-6 Club

If I'm not mistaken the last I checked with Vintage air (in 2000). The brother owns a shop across the hi-way and it was going to cost me right around 1100 for the system installed on my 70 C/10 none A/C.
oj70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:06 AM   #20
NPilot1975

MOCWON,

Which system is that, if I remember right, there are 3 GEN II systems. Is that the compact one? How far below the dash does the system hang? I was wondering about cutting into the stock cowl area to raise the system high enough not to hang out from under the dash. I know this would take some metal re-enforcing but might be feasible.

Last edited by NPilot1975; 03-02-2005 at 10:10 AM.
NPilot1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #21
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Yes, it is the Gen II Compact version. It hangs down about 5".

If you mount it any higher you won't be able to run the ductwork to the vents since the outlets come directly out of the top of the unit. Also, if you mount it too high it will be next to impossible to route the hoses through the firewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPilot1975
MOCWON,

Which system is that, if I remember right, there are 3 GEN II systems. Is that the compact one? How far below the dash does the system hang? I was wondering about cutting into the stock cowl area to raise the system high enough not to hang out from under the dash. I know this would take some metal re-enforcing but might be feasible.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #22
busterwivell

I went with Vintage Air 2 years ago in my truck. I have a factory air cab, with a big block. The Vintage Air system can literally frost the vents if you let it, the heater works great, and as a bonus, by eliminating the factory unit under the hood, I can now change plugs much more easily. I've put Vintage Air in 3 of my vehicles and will be putting it in my 47 when the time comes.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:12 AM   #23
71RestoRod

I'm using the Vintage Air Surefit and am very pleased with it so far. I'm using it with the factory vents and controls. It cleaned up the firewall very well... which of course allowed me to clutter it up again with other stuff.

I did have to drill one hole in the firewall for the return line, which was unexpected but not a big deal. You can see it in the second picture. I also shortened the rear evap bracket by about 1/2".

My '71 was not originally A/C... I used a body saw to cut the dash for factory vents. You can figure out the shape of the cut for the side vents by projecting a circle on the curved dash. I held a jar lid perpendicular to the dash and ran a pencil around it to mark the cut, and then trimmed it up a little to fit the vent. I then made a template to transfer the hole to the other side.

A big benefit for me with using the VA was finding just enough room behind the evaporator unit it to mount my ECU for the EFI. It's amazing how such a large truck can have so little room under the dash.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71RestoRod; 03-03-2005 at 05:22 AM.
71RestoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:23 AM   #24
Trifelynn

71restorod...that looks awesome. thank you very much for the pictures.
I guess this question is kind of obvious to most...but it pretty much takes up your entire glove box right?

Lenny
Old 03-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #25
NPilot1975

Trifelynn,

Actually the surefit system comes with a plastic glove box insert. It is not to bad for size, it is a few inches deep.