The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2006, 02:29 AM   #1
skokie

Transmission Mount

Has anyone every changed out a tranny mount? The reason I ask is becuase I have a vibration that I cant track down. I have had the following changed out.Torque converter, flexplate, harmonic balancer, & u joints.

Thanks in advance.

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:21 AM   #2
rkarr

Re: Transmission Mount

need to be more specific with the vibration...... Where can you feel it? When can you feel it?, etc.
Shortened frame for SWB, ECE 4-6 drop. ECE SS tank. All new ECE suspension. Rebuilt 12 bolt 3:73 with Eaton Posi. Front and rear disc brakes. Ramjet 350 and 700r-4 trans.
20" Centerline wheels with Kumho 295/45/20 tires (I hope they fit).
Progress pics: http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...uck/?start=all
----------------
Seriously... It's nothing a large dose of cash can't fix... Right? After all, I can't take it with me when I go... Just gotta have enough to get there!!!
rkarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I change them on all my stuff. Cost is under 10 bucks. Often, they collapse under the weight and allow the trans to settle onto the crossmember.

I have no idea if it's the source of your vibration though.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:28 AM   #4
Sweet72

Drive shaft out of balance?
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
70GMCer

Just found out what my vibration was......a busted left side motor mount....

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:14 AM   #6
truckdude239

did you make sure your u-joint where settles in the driver shaft right? when i did mine i didn't get the going to the rear end right and had one of the wrost virabtions i felt

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:03 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

I just replaced mine and can't wait to see what it feels like

I got this one from Energy Suspension:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

It fits all GM models with AT (and some newer MT's) for most GM cars and trucks from 1960 to today.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
skokie

Vibration can be felt in the steering wheel from 1100-1400 rpms. At 1500 it magically dissapears. Also this vibration can be felt with the truck sitting still and in park.

68 build thread
Old 01-08-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The your tranny mount isn't going to help at all. your problem is in the engine, and maybe in the tranny.
Jack up the truck, and unbolt the 3 bolts to the torque converter, and slide the converter towards the rear, away from the flex plate. Fire up the engine and rev it to those engine speeds, if the vibes are still there, it's in the engine, if it goes away, it's in the tranny.
Shifty, that is a killer tranny mount. I had one on my last truck and let it go with it when i sold it.

If you've ever seen adisplay of that cut in 1/2, you'll see it won't seperate in two if the rubber (poly) ever falls apart.
The one draw back on that mount is that it is a bit taller tha stock. Not an issue in most aplications, but I know I was unable to use it in my Caddy/TH350 aplication. My tranny is only about an 1/8 inch from the pinch weld on the tranny tunnle on the frame. A high hump would help, but I think cab mounts would probably do the trick in my situation.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:47 AM   #10
skokie

I checked the tranny mount and its new. Must have been swapped out when I had the 400 turbo rebuilt. Well looks like its time to remove tranny from engine and fire it up. So how do I do that?

Thanks

68 build thread
Old 01-10-2006, 06:24 AM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Jack up the truck, and unbolt the 3 bolts to the torque converter, and slide the converter towards the rear, away from the flex plate. Fire up the engine and rev it to those engine speeds, if the vibes are still there, it's in the engine, if it goes away, it's in the tranny.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #12
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I found the energy suspension poly tranny mount transmitted so much driveline noise and vibration into the cab I went back to a stock (but new) rubber one and the noise went away.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #13
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
Not an issue in most aplications, but I know I was unable to use it in my Caddy/TH350 aplication. My tranny is only about an 1/8 inch from the pinch weld on the tranny tunnle on the frame. A high hump would help, but I think cab mounts would probably do the trick in my situation.
I had the same problem with my LS1/T56 swap. I cut out the low hump and upgraded to an automatic high hump. I have pictures and instructions on how to easily do this if you want them, I'll drop it in the FAQ or something. I haven't completely finished yet, but I'm almost there.

I gotta decide what to do about the old pinch weld and the body filler that popped out in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippyp
I found the energy suspension poly tranny mount transmitted so much driveline noise and vibration into the cab I went back to a stock (but new) rubber one and the noise went away.
I know this is a dumb question, but I gotta ask: Did you follow the directions? There are a few extra washers and bolts and stuff that come with the package and very vague instructions about applications using flanged bolts versus non-flanged bolts and how you instlal it in either. If you don't follow them properly, you'll see the response you mention.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 01-10-2006 at 12:27 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #14
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
I had the same problem with my LS1/T56 swap. I cut out the low hump and upgraded to an automatic high hump. I have pictures and instructions on how to easily do this if you want them, I'll drop it in the FAQ or something. I haven't completely finished yet, but I'm almost there.

I gotta decide what to do about the old pinch weld and the body filler that popped out in the process.

I know this is a dumb question, but I gotta ask: Did you follow the directions? There are a few extra washers and bolts and stuff that come with the package and very vague instructions about applications using flanged bolts versus non-flanged bolts and how you instlal it in either. If you don't follow them properly, you'll see the response you mention.
That is a bad azz mount.....got 1 on my longhorn, & yes it does se the trans higher than stock (1/4" IIRC). As far as smooth, my longhorn is good to a buck & a quarter .......not sure she would be to a buckfifty tho(guess the old man is gettin old ) As far as the pinch weld on the floor pan.....MINE IS GONE I reccomend spot welding the seam on the topside of the floor to stiffen.....then take the pneumatic hack saw to the bottom side(DO WEAR GOGGLES) Dont ask why! You can then finish welding the topside of the floor(dont forget to shut the welder helmet......done that too ) my buds told to me that my "future was so brite that I needed shades" L
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #15
72MARIO

I also have the Poly tranny mount. They are awesome combined with the poly motor mounts the driveling is direct and has mabye 1/64" of twist under acceleration.

And no stupid vibirations.

What type of Fan do you have on you motor ? I have had a fan go out of balance on me and cause a vibiration.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote