The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2006, 12:38 AM   #1
72armyswbtruck

Wtb (more Like Need Someone To Helpme Out)

I have access to several Van tilt columns and I would like to know if there was anyone out there willing to trade some work for a tilt column, I would send you two Tilt Columns if you could make me one for my truck and you could keep the other for your truck, Any takers
72armyswbtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Wtb (more Like Need Someone To Helpme Out)

Do you realize how simple it is?No work at all.The only work is R & R-ing the column from the vehicle and you`re doing that.I (or anyone else here) would be more than willing to walk you through it.If you just blindly go to slap a van column in your truck,it will all become obvious.1)The neutral saftey switch will hit up under your dash.Look at the column you removed from the truck and locate the switch in the same place on the tilt.2)the column will be too long.Strike (using a block) the lower shaft to reduce the length to match the column you removed from your truck.3)The electrical connections have different type connectors.GM makes a conversion adaptor,cheap.Just pug`n`play.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Moved this to the parts board for you. You might get better response there.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #4
jay_shy
SWB 4X4 CLUB

Like special K said. Do it yourself.

I would keep them both if I were you. Convert it yourself and sale the other if your not going to use it. Anyone here would be more than happy to talk you through it. Also look through the FAQ's, There is a good write up there.

Jason
jay_shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
72armyswbtruck

I thought that there was some welding or cutting involved loking at the FAQ's
Old 02-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
greenhorn male

I'm surprised there are no takers on this. I'd do it for you but I haven't done the relocation of the neutral safety switch before and I've been known to ruin van tilts by disassembling them . I'll practice on the last van tilt I dismantled and let you know how simple or involved it is if no one steps in.

Last edited by greenhorn male; 02-18-2006 at 03:12 PM.
greenhorn male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:06 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I mean,I`ll do it.But I`d feel like I was taking advantage.Seriously,did you read my post?That`s all there is to it.No dismantling needed.Dig into it,then if you get in a bind,hit us up for directions.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:34 PM   #8
greenhorn male

At one time I had several van tilts as well and I would have offerred the same deal to someone local who's done a few of these, just so that I didn't have to buy a cutting tool, measure, mark, cut, drill, fit , get side tracked after honey do's, look for the cutting tool, read instructions again, measure more, look for another cutting disc, get side tracked again, test, find out I just cut a floor shift column.

I figure it would take at least 2 hours if you didn't have to run to the store for more things and don't get interrupted. A van tilt would be fair compensation for a converted tilt, painted and ready to install. I don't think you would be taking advantage of someone.

Question: How do you transfer the truck column floor gasket and gasket plate on the van tilt column? It seems to me it would be difficult to remove or install without dismantling the column.

Last edited by greenhorn male; 02-18-2006 at 10:36 PM.
greenhorn male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:18 AM   #9
72armyswbtruck

OK, guess that I will try one myself, I will let you know how it turns out, won't be for a little while though. Thanks Michael
Old 02-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #10
68SUB

I'm doing six of the Mods for the Charlotte Auto Fair! They are easy with the right tools! Snap-on has the pivot pin puller.(CJ134) I will be out of new part after these 6.
68SUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
greenhorn male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SUB
I'm doing six of the Mods for the Charlotte Auto Fair! They are easy with the right tools! Snap-on has the pivot pin puller.(CJ134) I will be out of new part after these 6.
I take it you remove the pivot pins to dismantle the column to install the floor gasket and ring, and also to replace the turn signal switch if needed. I ruined my first van tilt by trying to dismantle it. I ended up taking a drill to it. At least some board members made good use of parts from it, LOL. I looked at the FAQ's but didn't see anything on dismantling a tilt column. COuld someone post or direct me to instructions if there is any on the board.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:13 PM   #12
Bob Moore

Greenhorn - The quick way to do the bottom of the column is to bend the shift arm and slide all three items onto the column - upper dash seal, retaining ring, and rubber boot - bend the shift arm back into position. The shift arm is relatively soft steel and one bend with return is not likely to fatigue it. I learned this trick on the board and have used it myself. The N/S switch relocation does not have to be like brain surgery. There is a lot of tolerance in its location. The most critical area is the slot in the inner tube for the tang to fit into.

The pull-a-part yard here sells van tilt for under $20.00. It would not have feasable for me to do one to get one. I pick up everyone I can at that price.

The FAQ should answer all everyone's questions.

Good luck - Bob
more to follow
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:12 PM   #13
greenhorn male

Bob...never heard or read about bending the shift arm. That indeed would make it a lot easier. The FAQ I read showed cutting one end of the parts in half. This is good to know. I want to replace the gasket on my *truck* tilt because the PO cut a slit in it to run a cruise wiring harness through it.

I wouldn't do it for a van tilt either because I don't need one, and in my attempt to make it both functionally and aesthetically perfect because I am being compensated for it, it would take too much of my time to make it worthwhile. If I needed or wanted one then it would be a different story.

With all this information available now, I would agree, 72Army should do them all and sell a couple on the board for those who want one. $$$

Knowing that I don't have to disassemble them, I won't pass up too many van tilts when I run into them again. I passed on 2 the last couple of months because they weren't perfect. Not perfect meaning they had missing arms or broken signal switch, etc. They cost about $40 dollars here when you pull it, not including cost of gasoline.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #14
72armyswbtruck

WOW $20.00 bucks that's a steal, wish they were that cheap around here, the usually run around $100.00 or so, thanks for the help
Old 02-20-2006, 10:04 PM   #15
8bolt

I Would Just Like To Find One Around Here
8bolt is offline   Reply With Quote