The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Talking Blank Slate (or mind) you decide.

My truck has one more truckly duty to perform in its current guise as a hot rodded farm truck ...

We just finished moving into our house, hauled all of our belongings and a mess of construction supplies there and have one big dump run to make, after that the truck is going to be disassembled and the long road back to something it never was is going to begin.

Step one will be restoring the frame (don't know yet.. I'll see what good and what isn't when I tear it down!)

Step two will be building the chasis.

I want to set it up with a 4 link rear and c4 front end. I plan to run 16 or 17" rims with performance profile tires, perhaps 225/45/16. I am looking for a car like ride height, perhaps a 3/5 or 4/6 drop.

I've been reading through a lot of these threads and have a somewhat better developed idea of how to proceed but I have some questions and and somewhat lobbying for suggestions.
  1. I have a C-20, will this present special problems?
  2. How do I get my ride height where I want it with the body off?
  3. I want a comfortable but performance oriented suspension, should I go with an air system or springs?
  4. If I have a C4 front suspension what do I use for matching brakes out back?
  5. I guestimating $3 to $4.5 thousand for getting the chassis set up, am I stoned or am I in the ball park?

I'll probably be sometime tearing it down and then getting the frame cleaned up but thought I should get a grasp on the overall project early so I can keep an eye out for deals while I'm wire brushing, grinding and sneezing over the frame.

Any help is greatly appreciated, including wild ideas.. it's still blank canvas time, all I am sure about is that I want it to be a long, heavy musclecar and it's going to be bright orange.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
jimmydean

Re: Blank Slate (or mind) you decide.

My guess is with a C4 front end, you could spend $4k just doing that. I have not done this myself, but looking at PB's drop member, plus C4 arms, bags, joints, rack, and brakes, I would think that is around $4000 unless you have a wicked sweet parts source for all of this.

I would think a Ford 9 rear with disc brakes would be the most cost effective option for the back half.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterbuilt
It'll run $1500 WITH a custom width power rack. Comes with all the same stuff as the regular Dropmember kit. C4 suspension components can be had... brakes, spindles, hubs, and arms for less than a set of Strong Arms! You do have to use Shockwaves, if you're going air, so that makes the overall cost of the kit a little more spendy, but not too bad!
Porterbuilt C4 front c.member w/R&P @ $1500.00 + used Vette suspension pieces @ $800.00 + ART Shockwaves @ $850.00 = $3350.00(est).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Porterbuilt C4 front c.member w/R&P @ $1500.00 + used Vette suspension pieces @ $800.00 + ART Shockwaves @ $850.00 = $3350.00(est).
Wow, not a bad ballpark guess then. A little more depending on what you replace on the Vette parts (ball joints, bushings, whatnots)

Still the baddest setup on the planet IMHO. I hope to have my truck to the level that would allow me to do that without feeling silly about it. ($3000 on the front end would feel silly when I've spent less than that to date on the entire truck)
Old 10-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Wow, not a bad ballpark guess then....
That's what I was thinking.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:50 AM   #6
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

OK.. so call the chasis about $8k then...

$4k for the front, $800 for a complete read end, $1200 for 4 link with shockwaves & $500 for incidentals and toss in $1k for things you can't think of ahead of time.

Not so bad I guess.. just adds time.. lol
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Old 10-04-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Quote:
Still the baddest setup on the planet IMHO. I hope to have my truck to the level that would allow me to do that without feeling silly about it. ($3000 on the front end would feel silly when I've spent less than that to date on the entire truck)
If the chasis is right everything else will follow. I would rather have a beater body riding on a high end chasis than a piece of art on a rusty wagon frame.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Old 10-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandler62 View Post
If the chasis is right everything else will follow. I would rather have a beater body riding on a high end chasis than a piece of art on a rusty wagon frame.
I hear you there! I'm the same way, just look at my sheet metal.

The rule of thumb I follow (even though I hate it) is to take your best guess on a budget, then double it. That way, if you end up under budget, you don't feel bad. I know when I go a few $$$ over, I get in trouble with the boss (wife).
Old 10-04-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

heres a decent start
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-...QQcmdZViewItem

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
jimmydean

Man, some day I will have a real shop again an I can tear my truck down proper like.