The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
pat

Problems with door locks

Hi all. I put power locks into my truck from A-1 Electric. With the doors open, both function correctly. With the passenger door shut, it locks/unlocks as it is supposed to. When I shut the driver door it wont lock the doors, and if it was locked, it will unlock them. I have found that when I shut the door and put some pressure on it, it will lock, but without this pressure, the doors wont lock. I messed around some trying to adjust the door striker plate, but that didnt help. Any ideas short of buying a new latch/calling A-1???
Old 12-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
ClassicRedneck05

Re: Problems with door locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
Hi all. I put power locks into my truck from A-1 Electric. With the doors open, both function correctly. With the passenger door shut, it locks/unlocks as it is supposed to. When I shut the driver door it wont lock the doors, and if it was locked, it will unlock them. I have found that when I shut the door and put some pressure on it, it will lock, but without this pressure, the doors wont lock. I messed around some trying to adjust the door striker plate, but that didnt help. Any ideas short of buying a new latch/calling A-1???
well im not to sure on it but i know these trucks locks are alike i belive cause if u push the lock down then shut ur door it will unlock it eery single one i have had has been like that i would try callin a-1 im sure they have a tech line
ClassicRedneck05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRedneck05 View Post
well im not to sure on it but i know these trucks locks are alike i belive cause if u push the lock down then shut ur door it will unlock it eery single one i have had has been like that i would try callin a-1 im sure they have a tech line
OK, that sounds correct. Thanks. But my real problem is the door not locking unless there is pressure put on the door.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
BigFishBobby

Pat, how hard was that to install? I would like to add them to my truck too at some point.
BigFishBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
boogie67

I had the same problem on pass.side.I don't have p/locks but if I locked the door with the key I had to put pressure for it to lock.It would go down but not all the way.I had to move my striker out a little bit and lubricate the part on the door now they work good.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
pat

boogie--Did you move your striker plate out as in put in more spacers behind it?

Bobby---the install wasnt that bad, just took a little time to adjust the actuator and line it up right.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:59 PM   #7
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

I used the exact same actuators and wiring in conjuction with a remote keyless entry/alarm from DEI.

Before installing my keyless entry I had the same problem you are describing it sounds like.
See if I describe it the same way. When you shut the driver door - with it UNlocked, then lock it, it just pops back up immediately.

Mine would do that. What I had to do was bend the actuator rod to where it was totally free moving, and did not hit anything in any position. This takes a little bit more adjustment than you might think. It is pretty simple just to stick the actuator in and get it work the lock up and down. But the trick is getting it to be totally free from obstruction.

ALSO, the actuator has a "trip" in that will automatically lock/unlock it if it feels tension on it. Just like when you start pushing down on the lock knob after installing it, it automatically pulls it the rest of the way down. If it feels too much strain from any position other than a relaxed strait up position, it will retract/extend automatically because it thinks you are pulling or pushing on it.

So the key is getting the rod to move freely, and be in a relaxed position at both ends of the actuators position (extended and retracted).

All that was from trial and error.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
I used the exact same actuators and wiring in conjuction with a remote keyless entry/alarm from DEI.

Before installing my keyless entry I had the same problem you are describing it sounds like.
See if I describe it the same way. When you shut the driver door - with it UNlocked, then lock it, it just pops back up immediately.
Thats exactly whats going on. Where did you mount your actuators? Mine are just inside the door panel access hole, the big one, right below the locks and screwed right to the inside door skin. It seems like it moves straight up and down, but apparently it still needs adjustment. Ill try what you said as soon as I can. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
chevyboy55

Pat
If all else fails call A1.My son & I had a problem when we installed his(don't recall what it was)& they were VERY nice & helpfull.
chevyboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:06 PM   #10
john
member #16

Pat I had the same prob with mine because of wear in the latch.Alot of times you can just loosen the striker a bit and that will take care of it. I ended up with a new latch because the door was loose when the latch was loose enough for the locks to work.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:00 PM   #11
WTB3

I had to buy new latches when i put my remote locks in.