The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
jkade

Is there a detailed tbi swap thread???

I was wondering what all I will need to get off the 91 suburban for the efi swap to my 86?? Will I have to change out the whole harness including the dash wiring? Will I have to have a electric speedo or can I keep the cable operated and my cluster? Will the tank from the suburban fit the rear of my swb truck?? I am going to use the 350 from the sub also and put a small cam and springs in it. Would it be easier to use the complete sub harness so I can convert to power windows and door locks? I am also converting to the 91 front end so will I need the whole headlight harness? Sorry so many threads, I need a lot of help
Thanks
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Re: Is there a detailed tbi swap thread???

I was wondering what all I will need to get off the 91 suburban for the efi swap to my 86. Will I have to change out the whole harness including the dash wiring?

Its would be a good idea and i should make life easier

Will I have to have a electric speedo or can I keep the cable operated and my cluster?

Id put it on it might effect the computer some how

Will the tank from the suburban fit the rear of my swb truck??

Not shure i know a blazer will

Would it be easier to use the complete sub harness so I can convert to power windows and door locks?

Always If you want to have every option the suburban has id take anything it has in wiring.

I am also converting to the 91 front end so will I need the whole headlight harness? Sorry so many threads, I need a lot of help

That a good one but if ur going to use the dash harness then yes use it cause it will mount right were it was in the burban and save any headaches that come if u mod the stock harness to match a newer harness.

Hope this all helps
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
74 shortbed 406

As far as the speedo is concerned, isn't the one in the burban cable driven also. My 87 tbi is cable driven. I think the burbans and blazers use the same stuff up to 91 or 92. I maybe wrong but I don't think I am.
74 shortbed 406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74 shortbed 406 View Post
As far as the speedo is concerned, isn't the one in the burban cable driven also. My 87 tbi is cable driven. I think the burbans and blazers use the same stuff up to 91 or 92. I maybe wrong but I don't think I am.
I looked today and the burb is electric. I guess I will just use all of the burb wiring.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Yep, I'd reccomend bolting the burb's electrical system into your truck. Should be pretty quick and simple to pull off, only needing to remove a few wires for the rear cabin lights, rear heater, tailgate window etc. I imagine they would all have connectors you can just un-plug, so you probally won't have to cut any wires.

If you arn't planning on using the burb's transmission, you will need to change your current transmission to an electric speed sensor. If your truck has a 700r4 as well, it will be very easy to just switch them out, just gotta press the toner ring on, and swap tailhousings.

Fuel shouldn't be half bad either, I'd personally reccomend you find an 87 to grab the EFI saddle tank off of, and it's fuel lines. You can bolt a Blazer tank in, but the burb tank will probally be too big.

Last edited by Russell; 03-13-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Yep, I'd reccomend bolting the burb's electrical system into your truck. Should be pretty quick and simple to pull off, only needing to remove a few wires for the rear cabin lights, rear heater, tailgate window etc. I imagine they would all have connectors you can just un-plug, so you probally won't have to cut any wires.

If you arn't planning on using the burb's transmission, you will need to change your current transmission to an electric speed sensor. If your truck has a 700r4 as well, it will be very easy to just switch them out, just gotta press the toner ring on, and swap tailhousings.

Fuel shouldn't be half bad either, I'd personally reccomend you find an 87 to grab the EFI saddle tank off of, and it's fuel lines. You can bolt a Blazer tank in, but the burb tank will probally be too big.
The truck is a 4x4 and I am using a sm465 and a np 208, can I make the current trans and transfer case work?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:49 PM   #7
Russell
Professional Grade

Bolt the NP241 that you've got onto the SM465. Assuming the NP241 is a 32 spline unit (may be 27 spline) it will bolt directly to your 465 using the 208 adapter, as we went over in your last thread.

Then you've got the proper VSS, and will only need to get driveshafts made.

You'll need to get your computer modified to work with a standard. The auto chips (proms) use a park neutral input, while the standard doesn't, and the manual has both different idle speeds, and IAC speeds.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #8
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Bolt the NP241 that you've got onto the SM465. Assuming the NP241 is a 32 spline unit (may be 27 spline) it will bolt directly to your 465 using the 208 adapter, as we went over in your last thread.

Then you've got the proper VSS, and will only need to get driveshafts made.

You'll need to get your computer modified to work with a standard. The auto chips (proms) use a park neutral input, while the standard doesn't, and the manual has both different idle speeds, and IAC speeds.
Who will reprogram the computer or do I just need a chip?
Thanks, kade
Old 03-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
Russell
Professional Grade

There are a lot of different guys who can re-program your chip for you. I'd personally reccomend Brian at www.tbichips.com though. TBI is one of those annoying setups that is tough to bolt a newer flash chip onto, so you'd need to get the whole setup right down to the UV eraser if you wanted to burn them yourself