The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
caminokid
Chevy nut

Ebay scammers strike again

I finally went back to my old job after taking leave cause I was just tired of doing that job. I get there today for the first day back and this guy walks in and asks where his truck was? I had no idea what he was talking about so I got my boss. Those two started talked in Lebanese...and then the guy said thats not the truck I bought! I went over to him and asked what truck was he supposed to get...he told me it was a 93 Chevy. The truck that was dropped off from a transport company from Arizona was a 54 Chevy...its hacked up. Nothing in it. I really mean nothing. I asked him what he gave for it and he said 5000.00 and 1100.00 to get it to here. I had to ask him why he would give 5000.00 for a 93 Chevy with no motor...reason why it was dropped off at our shop....and then I asked did he see the truck before he bought it. He told me no. I asked him did he see pics of it...and he said no. He also told me he sent cash to this guy. All I could tell him is he has if he is lucky 600.00 to 700.00 dollars worth of parts and that he is screwed.

This is why I dont want to deal on Ebay.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
Jim_PA

Re: Ebay scammers strike again

Ok, so who was supposed to be the victim? You, or the Lebaneese guys, or???
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
andrewt2

Hey paid way to much but hey might as well make the best of it i see one HECK of a nice rat rod project...its his own fault for giving so much and not having a 3rd party inspection /apprcaisal done
andrewt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:43 AM   #4
sleeper67
i need money

dude that sucks pretty bad. but on the bright side he might have a nice rat rod project ???
sleeper67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 AM   #5
Jim_PA

Ok, so, I guess you work at a shop, and your shop was the intermediate step between buyer and seller?

I'm still not sure how your place of business got involved in this deal that seems to be pretty bad
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

[QUOTE=caminokid;2621380]I finally went back to my old job after taking leave cause I was just tired of doing that job. I get there today for the first day back and this guy walks in and asks where his truck was? I had no idea what he was talking about so I got my boss. Those two started talked in Lebanese...and then the guy said thats not the truck I bought! I went over to him and asked what truck was he supposed to get...he told me it was a 93 Chevy. The truck that was dropped off from a transport company from Arizona was a 54 Chevy...its hacked up. Nothing in it. I really mean nothing. I asked him what he gave for it and he said 5000.00 and 1100.00 to get it to here. I had to ask him why he would give 5000.00 for a 93 Chevy with no motor...reason why it was dropped off at our shop....and then I asked did he see the truck before he bought it. He told me no. I asked him did he see pics of it...and he said no. He also told me he sent cash to this guy. All I could tell him is he has if he is lucky 600.00 to 700.00 dollars worth of parts and that he is screwed.

This is why I dont want to deal on Ebay.

This is a bad deal for sure, but I buy and things on Ebay large and small with no probs but this guy broke all the basic rules....paid cash, no inspection, ****!! never even seen a photo. Have to say he got himself up **** creek with no paddle.
But that still is a beautiful truck and a great project.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger

Last edited by eightbanger; 03-12-2008 at 06:06 AM. Reason: spelling
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
Shane
Account Suspended

there is a lot more than some Lebanese guy getting screwed that is fishy about this story ...

p.s. what's the guy want for the '54

Last edited by Shane; 03-12-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:11 AM   #8
suville

And its not ebay thats the scallawag here its unscrupolus people and you can find them everywhere. Buying and selling on ebay or anyplace if youre a buyer do your homework if youre a seller same same if it dont sound right ask questions and dont get emotionally involved with the item what ever it is theres usually more the one!
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
there is a lot more than some Lebanese guy getting screwed that is fishy about this story ...

p.s. what's the guy want for the '54
He wants his 6100.00 back. I asked him what he would take for it today also. He has no idea what to do with it. My best bet after dealing with these people for the last 2 years is that its going to end up in the scrap yard or in the guys backyard as a rusting hulk. It was brought to our shop cause it was supposed to be a 93. I know the guy is an idiot. He should have never bought anything sight unseen.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #10
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
Ok, so who was supposed to be the victim? You, or the Lebaneese guys, or???
No not me I wouldnt have never done it! 5000.00 for a 93 Chevy like he thought he was giving with no motor?? He is stupid for even that. You can get a 93 or newer running chevy for 5000.00.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 AM   #11
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminokid View Post
He wants his 6100.00 back.
LOL! and people in Hell would like to have a glass of ice water!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
Mint68

If the guy didn't speak english well, maybe he got exactly what he bid on. I think if it was advertised differently, then it is the sellers fault. But really, who sends $6100 cash across the country for something they have never seen or even know exists. Like you said, at least he got something for his money.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
He should have never bought anything sight unseen.
Therin squats the toad. I got burned myself by this some years back where I accepted a video tape and pictures to save myself $350 in airfare. $4000 later I had a 1968 Chevelle Malibu Convertible...with no floor and a complete rust-bucket. Come to find out that the pictures and video were of a buddy's car - except for the shot of the VIN plate. After phone calls, lawyers and (legal) threats, I ultimately got out of the deal paying $2600 for the car and transport.

I also had a relative look at a truck for me that had "no rust" stated in the ad. My relative told me "Oh yeah, I'm a car guy from way back" so I let him look it over. He told me it was "beautiful"...and of course it was complete rusted junk when it arrived. I attached a phot of the "beautiful", "no rust" fender after stripping.

ALL MY FAULT - nothing to do with eBay. Bottom line - airfare is cheap.
Attached Images

Last edited by Billla; 03-12-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
Random Guy

Ebay is great for little things of little value but are hard to find. I would never buy a vehicle on ebay unless I could view it first.

My brother did this with a truck from the north east after I warned him several times. He got a rusted out 4x4 with a busted rear end and about 60% of his bed missing from rot.

1968 C10 Fleetside LWB

Remember Cthulu is watching you!

/ (@) (@) \
Random Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #15
bw4sale

I've bought two trucks on ebay. The first one I stole ($350) because I found a truck with no reserve and it was in the wrong section. I sold it a few month later after fixing a few things for a nice profit. The second one I overpaid because not all of the rust was disclosed by the seller even after talking with him on the phone more than once and asking many questions. I'd say this is more often the case. A seller is NEVER going to tell you it's WORSE than it really is.

-'68 Stepside Project
-'98 Z71 Daily Driver
-Enough extra parts to build another truck and a half
bw4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #16
TonyJohnson

So where's the link to the auction?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:27 PM   #17
WorkinLonghorn

If I can't kick the tires it's no deal Howie.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:36 AM   #18
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: Ebay scammers strike again

I admit I like ebay I buy and sell stuff on ebay all the time , I just recently found a 39 ford on a wellsite for the company I work for and I took part's off of it for three week's here and there and sold $1200 plus buck's worth of what was sitting outside rusting ! so ebay is good if you use it right , I also buy stuff (PARTS) on ebay and I have never had a problem at all but if it's over $200 buck's or so it's within driving distance or NO DEAL ! I would NEVER buy any old vehicle sight unseen !!!!!! these truck's have to many rust problem's and the only way to inspect one is to look at it in person !!!

and on another subject you would be surprised at the people that get burned even when they buy old vehicle's in person ,
(EXAMPLE) a couple of year's ago I had a buddy that wanted a camaro , he wasn't real car savy and just wanted a 67 68 69 camaro and he had the money to buy one , he found a few and asked me which one he should buy ?
none of the one's he had found were good , so we were at a car show in TENN and I found a killer solid 68 camaro 327 4spd all original almost no rust it was faded and needed paint (CHEAPEST THING YOU CAN DO) it was $5K
so I told my buddy he should buy it if he wanted one cause it was a good one , he looked at it and then looked around and found another 68 for $8K with fresh paint and asked me about it ? it was a bondo wagon with a KILLER paint job I told him to RUN !!!!!! and I begged him to buy the good 68 he thought I was crazy !!
well he bought the bondo car it lasted about 6 month's and started bubbling out after A while he took it to get it painted it was HORRIBLE !!! I told him when he bought it that it had a vinyl top in the past and was just full of bondo where it was rusted and BOY WAS IT EVER !!!!

anyway if you can't look at a car or truck yourself DON'T BUY IT !
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:52 AM   #19
TonyJohnson

One thing you can do is look at Ebay and filter for local stuff. It will let you search based on zip code I look in a 50 mile radius and go look at stuff that interests me.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:27 AM   #20
s95930
A-Adam A-Adam

Might be a 93 chevy frame!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #21
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJohnson View Post
So where's the link to the auction?
I have never asked him for it.

He came back today getting ready to junk the truck. Once again I got in the middle of it. I told him dont junk it. He turned around and asked me what I would do with it. I told him I would fix it up. He went to his car and gave me the title to it! I asked him how much...and all he said was...Keep it, its yours. Now I have no idea what I am going to do with it.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #22
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
I have never asked him for it.

He came back today getting ready to junk the truck. Once again I got in the middle of it. I told him dont junk it. He turned around and asked me what I would do with it. I told him I would fix it up. He went to his car and gave me the title to it! I asked him how much...and all he said was...Keep it, its yours. Now I have no idea what I am going to do with it.
Now that's one helluva deal.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #23
71chevytruckguy

holy cow! its gotta be a good day to be you, id love to have something old school like that. chris.

71 c-10 lwb, in the middle of frame off restoration.

69 c-10 swb, drag truck, 406 sbc, balanced, comp 292 cam, ported, polished, gasket matched, and bowl blended pro comp 210cc heads, 2.02/1.60 ferrea valves,1.6 roller rockers, re curved hei with msd 6al box, 2-step rev limter, accel 300+ wires, ported victor jr intake, holley 750 double pumper carb, dynomax 1 5/8 headers, 4 spd munci m-20 with super case and iron midplate, mr. gasket vertigate shifter, 5.38 pro gears with full spool, 33 spline moser axles and c-clip elimators, line-loc, 5 gal fuel cell, holley blue pump.
7.807 @ 88.37mph 1.60 60FT

80 g-20 van, tow rig, cammed 305, th350, 10 bolt

88 jeep wrangler, dd, 258, ax-15 swap, 4.5" lift, 33x12.50's, lockers, 3.55's
71chevytruckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #24
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Wow, what a deal for you, huh?
On the ebay subject.... I've bought about a dozen cars on ebay and probably sold more than a dozen. When I win an auction, I don't care what the seller's requirements are for a PayPal deposit within 48 hours, or whatever, I don't send them anything. I hook up the trailer and arrive with cash. I try to show up within 3 or 4 days from the auction's end so the seller doesn't get too pissed off about not getting his deposit. I've never had to do it yet, but I figure if it's not what was described in the auction details, I'll turn around and go home. Of course, living in Virginia I really can't buy something in California using this method. But, I have gone to Michigan, Iowa, Florida, Pennsylvania a couple times, New Jersey and Alabama so far. "Knock on wood," no problems yet. Gotta love the ebay.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #25
muddyole 69

put it on ebay ........... j/k if you want to sell put a price on it someone is bound to jump on it and what ever you get is cash in your jeans car poor or I would try and buy it best of luck Mike