The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
billm90

rod knock inspection?

before I moved I was having issues with my 78 c10 350 with a loud knock based on rpm. I am guessing it was a rod knock.

So I am moved, I had the truck towed, and I am wondering how one could go about looking for what the issue is?

I removed the access panel on the bell housing. it was hung up on the trans fluid cooling lines. The flexplate looks ok as much as I could see.

I had some notion I could pull the oil pan, until I got under it and, oh yeah, cross memeber is there.

so do I just pull it out then?

as jegs has this, http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance...67353/10002/-1

is this a good replacement?
billm90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: rod knock inspection?

There is many things to discuss here.....you say that it is based on RPM. Is that driving or does it do it no matter if your in the driveway or on the highway??

What RPM is it and what exactly does the noise sound like to you? Metallic or vibration or thumping or.....
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
shadetree

You might try a mechanics stethescope, to locate the area of the knock. If it comes from the very front of the engine, there is a chance (this happened to me) the fuel pump return spring is broken/weak. When the spring works, but weakly, it causes a knocking sound, that varies with RPM.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
billm90

The noise is there anyway you put it. dependent on rpm. driving, reving, in the driveway.

It is a thump. about medium volume,.

I cant really hone in on the sound. I will try a tube. It sounds like it could be by the smog pump/fuel pump area. then others is sounds like the driver side.

when i am in the truck, windows up, it sounds like the drivers side. and down by the oil pan area.
billm90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

a rod knock is real distinctive... the stethescope idea is the best.. you could also use a long extension and put the other end in your ear for similar effect... but until you narrow it down it could be anything... if its a piston pin knock you wont see that unless you disassemble the whole motor you will see a spun bearing in the block.. heres an idea throw some STP oil treatment in the oil and see if the noise goes away.. that is usually indicitive of a bad motor bearing or a rod knock

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote